Notices

Keeping wheels clean

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 04:50 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping wheels clean

For many years now I have been giving my wheels a coat of turtle wax or any other form of wax every couple of months in an attempt to make them easier to clean.....I am not sure how effective this is since I have never done the scientific experiment of doing one side and not the other and comparing.....what tricks do the rest of you do to try and make it easier to clean your wheels....ie stop brake dust bonding to the surface ??? And yes I do clean my car at least every other w/e and yes that does make it easier to keep them clean.....thanks
Old 04-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

some folks on other boards use a product called rejex on their wheels. they say it helps prevent the buildup of dust. i believe bumperplugs.com sells it. i haven't tried it yet

http://www.rejexusa.com/

bob
Old 04-11-2006, 10:53 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Rejex now...great product. My rims look nice and clean, and they are easier to clean as well. It's great on the rest of the paint too!
Old 04-13-2006, 05:09 AM
enjoytheride
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I definitely noticed a reduction in brake dust accumulation after i started using Simple Green instead of specialized wheel cleaners to clean my wheels......give it a shot!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:55 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Rejex is the best product I've used for my wheels.

Jay
Old 05-12-2006, 02:49 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I've used Rejex on my wheels for about a year...it really makes a difference on the old school 16" flatdishes on my 928...works great on the paint too....kinda hard to use with temp-sun restrictions
Old 05-16-2006, 06:45 PM
CT03911
Banned

Two coats of "American Wheel Wax" and weekly washes works for me.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:28 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

DJ23, smoking picture of your 997S. Perfecting time of day, perfect lighting and perfect car. Really, really sweet shot, man.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:35 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enjoytheride
I definitely noticed a reduction in brake dust accumulation after i started using Simple Green instead of specialized wheel cleaners to clean my wheels......give it a shot!
I'll 2nd the Simple Green observation.

Who'd have thought a common household product would be so good at keeping wheels clean!

And it's safe on all finishes - no accidental etching if you leave it on too long...

Chris.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:05 PM
H2OJazz
Rennlist Member

Simple Green, followed by Rejex seems to be really great. I did this several weeks ago and am amazed how my wheels stay clean-looking.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Simple Green is corrosive to many metals. This is why they had to come up with a new product designed for metal cleaning.

Do a goggle search on it.

Anthony
Old 06-06-2006, 12:59 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

I did do a Google search - this is FUD.

Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner/Degreaser has a mild pH of 9.3 to 9.5.

This means it has no acid base, a common cause of metal corrosion.

For wheels the suggested method of application is:

Wet surface first, apply Simple Green, scrub if necessary, rinse.

The quoted 'Military tests' that suggested Simple Green was not suitable for Aircraft Aluminum specifically, included very long (168 hours in one test) soaking of various metals in the solution and then a corrosion inspection.

If you want to soak your wheels in Simple Green, or anything, for 168 hrs, you have other things to worry about........

The actual problem wasn't that Simple Green was especially corrosive, but that if all of the soap wasn't completely rinsed off, then some Simple Green caught in crevices between aluminum joints could eventually create a dielectric and lead to corrosion.

As reported in Aviation Today - Aug 2005

So clean your wheels and don't worry - and make sure you do your own research online, and don't believe every post on online forums

Chris.

Last edited by cdodkin; 06-06-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:16 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

The issue with Simple GReen is two-fold.

If you use it rinse it well and be watchful of crevices in the metal pieces as the Simple Green can penetrate into them and cause problems. This is why many bikers have had chains break on them while cycling, one of them being a client of mine...nasty bar hit in his privates

Is this common place? Most likely not but my point was to make people aware and also notice I suggested people do a goggle search so they can read up on it for themselves.

Anthony
Old 06-06-2006, 02:25 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Yeah, I saw the stuff on the cycle chains - people soaking them in Simple Green to clean them.

Again, it was soaking, and this is absolutely not recommended for any cleaning agents.

And the Google heads up was good - people just need to be able to filter the hysteria and relate to the task in question - i.e. cleaning wheels Vs cleaning your Chinook Helicopter.

In years of using SG, I've had clean wheels and no corrosion issues - I wouldn't recommend something unless I used it.

Chris.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:03 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

When properly diluted, the PH is 9.7 (just tested ph). Low acidic qualities and it does not appear to exhibit corrosive qualities. During the test I used distilled water to prevent any unintended influence. Like any cleaning chemicals, they can and will cause damage if you leave them longer than directed. I would put to you that Coke is more corrossive than Simple Green. Coke will do more damage and millions drink it everyday. Use Simple Green only as directed on the label. And, I probably wouldn't use Coke to clean my wheels either.

Quick Reply: Keeping wheels clean