Notices

Ready Go....Anthony???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 12:55 AM
rampfar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready Go....Anthony???

I just received my optimum products...Wash, Clay Bar, Polish...and pads. This is to go with my new PC.....now the only thing that's needed is nerve. I'am glad I have a truck, my wife's and sister-in-laws cars for practice prior to the P-car. Now if Anthony is reading this....are these the steps with a few questions thrown in!!!!!
1) Wash....this I think I can handle
2) Clay the cars....in this step, can I use the Optimum wash in a spray bottle (watered down) to provide the lube to the claying? Also, do you clay the entire car and then wipe off or is it a panal at a time?
3) Polish with PC and the different pads.....small area at a time, toweling the section just polished??? Should I tape off the trim/rubber etc prior to polishing?
4) Wax....using PC or hand the Optimum spray wax??? Small area at a time???
GOOD THING I HAVE A FEW CARS AHEAD OF THE PORSCHE!!!! One last ...it's a 1995 911/993....what kind of paint do you think this has??? Thanksa for any advice to puch me off the cliff and give this a try!!!!
Old 02-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rampfar
I just received my optimum products...Wash, Clay Bar, Polish...and pads. This is to go with my new PC.....now the only thing that's needed is nerve. I'am glad I have a truck, my wife's and sister-in-laws cars for practice prior to the P-car. Now if Anthony is reading this....are these the steps with a few questions thrown in!!!!!
2) Clay the cars....in this step, can I use the Optimum wash in a spray bottle (watered down) to provide the lube to the claying? Also, do you clay the entire car and then wipe off or is it a panal at a time?
3) Polish with PC and the different pads.....small area at a time, toweling the section just polished??? Should I tape off the trim/rubber etc prior to polishing?
GOOD THING I HAVE A FEW CARS AHEAD OF THE PORSCHE!!!! One last ...it's a 1995 911/993....what kind of paint do you think this has??? Thanksa for any advice to puch me off the cliff and give this a try!!!!
Hey,

Great questions...I'll reply to them in full when I get back from doing a few cars. We had a week of crap weather and today it is just beautiful so I need to get a jump on some cars.

Anthony
Old 02-27-2006, 01:28 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rampfar
Hello,

When you clay the car you can do it 1 of 2 ways. You can either wash the car well, rinse it off BUT before you dry the car take your soap/water mixture and then sray a panel, clay it then rinse it. Do this until you have the whole car done. I would only recommend this on a nice cool day with the car out of the sun. I can clay a car in about 15 minutes but I am also using soft water. Your first time may take up to an hour until you get the hang of it.

The other way is to wash the car, rinse off and dry it then take your soap/water mixture and clay the car on area at a time, starting from the top.

When you polish you can polish the entire car then remove or do a section at a time. Just remember to shake the Optimum Polish very well before and during the polishing. Place the PC speed at about 4 or 5. Speed 6 is just too much in the vibration, at least for me.

Taping off the trim is always a good idea and a great time saver as far as clean up is concerned.

Using the Opt wax is so easy to use. Just mist a light amount on a panel then wipe it in with your MF towel until it dissapears then turn your towel and buff the panel. It won't stain any trim and it can be used on wheels, glass and plastic. Also, if the Opt Polish seems to be oily just wip eoff as much as you can with a MF towel then mist that panel with the Opt wax. The Opt wax will soak up the Polish oils as you wipe the area.

Also remember to shake the Opt wax once or twice before use and then once or twice during use. The UV absorbers, because they are heavier than the wax and polymers, will seperate and sink to the bottom.

As for paint, I believe your paint might be clear coated. The best way to tell is to take some of the Opt Polish on a towel and rub an area of the paint. If the paint color transfers to the towel then you have singel stage paint, if not then you have clear coated.

Many car manufacturers started turning over to clears in the 80"s but I believe many Euro car manufacturers didn't switch over until the 90's.

Hope this helps and good luck I am sure you'll do just fine. Post up some pictures when you're done and if you have any more questions please ask.

Anthony
Old 02-27-2006, 02:17 AM
rampfar
Instructor

Anthony....as I have seen from some of your threads....you are a real asset to Renns and I hope that you get that DVD done and make some cash from all the knowledge you give out to us....like where you are, it has started to rain and is predicted to last throughout the week....that will give me a little more time to build up the Nerve....Thanks so much...Roger

Quick Reply: Ready Go....Anthony???