Notices

Clayed my car last night--first time!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:48 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Clayed my car last night--first time!

Using the Griot's yellow clay and Speed Shine I bought over a year ago, I finally clayed my car last night. I was about to polish and wax, when I felt the surface of the fenders. To my horror, it felt like my fenders had a 2-day beard growth!

After using the clay, most of the rough surfaces on the car are gone! The best part--I clayed the windows and glass after I was done with the painted surfaces. The windiows are now cleaner than ever! Can't wait to try out my new Porsche wiper blades!

It was a bit of a PITA, since the clay was sticking to my hand, and getting under my fingernails (do all clays do that, or is the Griot's version too stickey?).

I read about it here, and did it using the knowledge!

Old 02-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy,

My clay doesn't do that (meguiar's quik clay), but the mother's clay did get really sticky on me! Good job!

Steve
Old 02-02-2006, 02:19 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll have to get some Meguiar's Quik Clay then. Very annoying getting the clay that stuck to my hands on my buffing towel! Is the Meguiars stuff available at Pep Boys, or is it a mail-order deal?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a clay kit available at autozone, which is good. You could also hit www.autodetailingsolutions.com and check out what they have also. Good luck-
Steve
Old 02-02-2006, 08:17 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used Clay Magic and it worked well--not sticky.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:32 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want the "poly'clay", which resembles an elastic eraser in the feel. It's very stretchy.

Anthony
Old 02-03-2006, 09:44 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
You want the "poly'clay", which resembles an elastic eraser in the feel. It's very stretchy.

Anthony
Where are these poly-clays sold? Got a favorite brand in mind?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:02 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

After a long and tiring few days of claying and glazing, I'm finally at my pre-Rejex applying stage (except for a wash I have to do to get the glaze dust off)! Damn, I need a PC, for the next times!

Lame lighting, but you CAN see the reflection of the garage wall, etc in the fenders! Thanks for all the clay advice--it DOES work!

Old 02-06-2006, 12:10 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AndyK
Where are these poly-clays sold? Got a favorite brand in mind?
Hello, sorry for the delay.....been out with a head cold

I use Optimum's poly-clay. It comes in either a 4oz or 8oz bar. These types of clay are superior because they don't leave behind any residue and they are also easier to fold and manipulate.

I believe AutoGeek carries the Optimum clay bars.

Anthony
Old 02-06-2006, 06:43 AM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

Your paint looks fine and I bet it's the original paint.

I polished (3M) and waxed (Meguiar's NXT) mine this week end using a dual action polisher.

Here's a pic of the hood (the car is already dirty especially wheels as I took this pic after driving 200 miles on winter roads...)

Old 02-06-2006, 10:17 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice Euro 951, Marco ( I guess since you live in France, ALL the Porsches are the Euro type)!

Yeah, original paint. I did use the great 3M Hand Glaze after claying. Great product. PITA to put on and take off though...by hand!

Thanks Anthony...my Griot's clay was kind of a mess to work with. Clay that is more like Silly Putty in consistancy, compared to Play Doe, sounds good to me!
Old 02-18-2006, 12:03 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't know about you but I don't like this concept of folding over the clay without cleaning or wiping the debris off the dirty side of the clay bar. I always keep a bucket o-soapy water next to me and after I do a section I "clean the clay" and fold the clay before starting a section.
I'm alway afraid that a sediment is going to press through the middle of the clay and onto my paint!
besides, I think the clay guys want you to just fold it over so you keep having to buy that $20 caly over and over again!
Old 02-23-2006, 02:15 PM
AaronR968
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its no different then having to buy 20 dollar wax over and over again. As for the griot's clay being to sticky. Are you using enough speed shine. I have it as well and have had that happen but just used more SS and it worked like a champ. Meguiar's Quik Clay is pretty good as well. you can only use it about twice before you are done with the bar. I like the griot's better.

Maybe because all i have to do is go to the showroom and pick up some?! Just makes it handy!!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

If a waste of money is a concern then you should start with not using any manufacturers "clay lube spray" or quick detailer. What a gimmick that is.

Save some money and just use soap and water. 32oz of water in a spray bottle, add a few drops of car shampoo and voila! You have a great clay lube for a fraction of the cost that a quick detailer costs you.

Anthony
Old 02-24-2006, 12:40 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used plenty of Speed Shine. The clay glided over my paint, no problem. But it stuck to my hand and under my fingernails! I guess the heat of my hand holding the clay caused it to get softer and stickier. I assume the poly clay I just received in the mail wont do that?

Anthony--The benefit of using a detail spray = being able to wipe the car dry, without having to rinse soap off. That allows me to clay at night, when the kids are sleeping, without having to drag out the hose and freeze my butt off!

Quick Reply: Clayed my car last night--first time!