Notices

bring back finish

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 01:22 AM
callmethewanderer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bring back finish

i just bought my 2nd p-car, a 1987 944. The paint is a very faded, or oxidized red, but original, i believe. whats the best way to bring it back and then protect it? Products and methods? I do a lot of my own mechanical work, but am totally clueless about finishes, beyond a simple wash and wax. thanks.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:35 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

You can do this by hand as you have a single stage paint but it's going to take a whole lot of rubbing!!

Your best bet is to get a polishing machine, not a high speed rotary but something like the Porter Cable which is an orbital machine and is also extremely safe for your paint. You can perhaps generate more heat with your hand but the problem is you can't continue that for very long before your hand cramps up but the Porter Cable (PC) can.

So get a PC, some polishing pads, a polish along the lines of Menzerna Intensive Polish or my personal choice, Optimum Polish. After you're done you should have a beautiful looking Porsche. Then wax it, here again I recommend Optimum Spray Wax as it contains UV absorbers and these will help deter your paint from oxidizing again so soon.

Let me know if this plan sounds like something you would like to do and I'll help you choose some polishng pads.

Anthony
Old 01-14-2006, 04:27 PM
callmethewanderer
Instructor

Default sounds reasonable

i'll try that, i have a WEN 7" sander/polisher, but i'm a little intimidated, i've never used it to polish anything and i'm afraid of taking off paint. If you know what would be the right way to use it and the right pads, i would appreciate your help. thx.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:49 AM
callmethewanderer
Instructor

sorry i asked! before reading the rest of these threads. i think i have it tho: first, wash the car, then clay it, then polish, then wax. is that right? i'm pretty sure i don't have to worry about much wax on the car, so a car wash like "mothers gold should be good"? clay, sounds like a polymer type is best?polish, i have no clue. wax, i think i like the idea of the spray on stuff. i'll soon post before pics, the car's in the shop right now having the belts looked at.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:10 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Is your polisher a random orbit? If its not, be very careful!!!!! guards red will pull alot of paint onto the bonnets....mine does! The good news is after a good wash-clay-polish-wax the car will look almost new! Mine was pretty good to start with, with only minor scratches and some fading on the bumper caps....but now its much better!
Old 01-15-2006, 11:48 PM
callmethewanderer
Instructor

no, it's not a random orbit sander, and i've never buffed a car before, so i will be careful. Claying is a new one for me also. it's worth a try tho, i guess, how much would a typical professional detailer charge for the same thing, anyone know?
Old 02-22-2006, 01:31 PM
dhicks
Drifting

I used to get my 951 done at a pro shop in Atlanta when I lived there.....for wash, claybar and wax they would charge 150, for a polish n wax they charged me 225.....the car looked very good when I sold it!
Old 02-24-2006, 07:32 AM
HiFiGuy66
4th Gear

If you are using a high speed buffer, be very very careful to keep the buffer moving at all times. Do not let the buffer rest in a spot, otherwise bye bye paint.

Also, be careful at edges of body panels, although a 944 is easier in this respect as opposed to say, the hood ridge on a BMW E30 3 series.

Quick Reply: bring back finish