Notices

Water Softeners/De-Ionizer and detailing

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water Softeners/De-Ionizer and detailing

I have just taken posession of a new to me 2002 C4 Cab. The car looks great as is, but i am getting ready for my first detailing. After reading through several threads, it seems that the Optimum car products are the way to go...

I read one thread that mentioned the hard water factor. Being a boater, I have seen several water softener(deionizers;what's the difference?) at the marinas behind several of the larger(54+feet) boats. Their crews seemed to be happy with the reduction in spotting( If I had "the crew", I guess I wouldn't be worrying about the spots, but boaters are equally insane regarding detailing.)

Has anyone gone to the extent of water softening for detailing? If so are you using a portable or whole house. I am somewhat interested in a portable unit(car and boat), but do not know which way to go.

[IMG]IMG_0871.JPEG[/IMG]
Old 01-05-2006, 10:12 PM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

I have a whole house water softener at my home.
When washing my cars at home, I must use a chamois
to dry or water spotting will occur.

I have DI water at my trucking business for the soul purpose
of washing trucks with out having to dry. I also use
the DI water there for washing my cars. Little or no drying,
no spots. DI water works best under high pressure but it
is not necessary. Normal pressure at the faucet is what we use.

Check with US Filter in you area. They are a national company
that can provide you with either type of filtering. They also
own Culligan.

Steve
Old 01-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Steve replied very well

Soft water will still spot BUT they will wipe off easily with a microfiber towel and some quick detailer.

I use soft water in my detailing and none of my clients cars spot up because I dry them with forced air, from a leaf blower, then I spritz the car down with some QD and dry with a waffle weave towel. If you decide to use a leaf blower to aid in drying make sure you dry over a wet area. Also use an electric leaf blower and not a gas one.

Anthony
Old 01-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the head up.
Anthony, i have read threads in which you endorse the Optimum products. Just want to make sure I am ordering the correct products:

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/oppote.html
Old 01-06-2006, 12:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
https://rennlist.com/forums/general-porsche-discussions-forum/239716-cr-spotless-water-device-ne1-used-it.html
Old 01-06-2006, 02:03 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Idocdes
Thanks for the head up.
Anthony, i have read threads in which you endorse the Optimum products. Just want to make sure I am ordering the correct products:

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/oppote.html
Yep, those are the products I use. Let me know if I can help you with any questions you may have concerning them.

Anthony
Old 01-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Again, Thanks.
Anthony: Is there any redundency in their products? I was thinking of getting their Detailing Kit plus the Leather/Vinyl cleaner. I noticed they have two compunds the regular and the Hyper. Do you recommend one over the other? Should I invest in the orbital kit. I usually detail by hand, but have read the rave reviews over the OP. I just fear damaging the surface.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Again, Thanks.
Anthony: Is there any redundency in their products? I was thinking of getting their Detailing Kit plus the Leather/Vinyl cleaner. I noticed they have two compunds the regular and the Hyper. Do you recommend one over the other? Should I invest in the orbital kit. I usually detail by hand, but have read the rave reviews over the OP. I just fear damaging the surface.
You would have to be using the PC orbital in conjunction with metal shavings in order to damage your paint

If using the PC orbital I would perhaps go with the Optimum "compound" and don't let that word "compound" worry you. It's nothing like a compound of years ago. It's a highly lubricated paint leveling product that can be worked and worked to get that glass like finish. You then follow that up with the Optimum Polish.

The "Hyper" Compound is a bit more aggressive, more along the lines of body shop use to remove sanding marks and is perhaps best used with a high speed rotary. It can be used with an orbital also, with no ill effects other than perhaps needing one extra polishing step.

So start with the Compound and Polish and use the Polish first. If your finish has only some light marring the Optimum Polish should be all you need. Remember that these are highly lubricated polishes so you need to work them a bit longer than conventional polishes. Many detailers work their products until they break down and begin to dust up but Optimum won't do this. It leaves behind little to no dust. You'll know Optimum is ready to be removed when it's easy to do so. In other words if you work the Polish a few minutes then attempt to remove it and it only smears then you know you need to work it longer. I always tell people to work it twice as long as other polishes.

Your first use of the Polish you will want to "prime" the pad. I usually apply 2 thin lines of the Polish onto my 6in pads. One line close to the inner portion of the pad and a second line towards the outer portion. After this initial prime I then add only about a quarter to nickel size squirt. This may take some getting used to so experiment a bit with the amount. Over application will result in poor results as you have then way too much lubrication on the pad/paint.

Hope that helps, any further questions just let me know. I work closely with the chemist at Optimum and test all his products before they go to market.

Anthony
Old 01-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Anthony,
After reading several other threads. Do you currently sell the products i am seeking? If so where and how?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Yea I sell them. I can email you a price list, do a paypal and off they go

PM me your Email if you like, or you can also try AutoGeek or Top Of the Line

Anthony
Old 01-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Anthony,
Sent you a PM
Old 01-08-2006, 02:47 PM
mr997
Advanced

Has anyone gone to the extent of water softening for detailing? If so are you using a portable or whole house. I am somewhat interested in a portable unit(car and boat), but do not know which way to go.
Anyone know the price difference between getting a portable or a whole house unit? and where is a good place to purchase? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Water Softeners/De-Ionizer and detailing