Notices

Old Leather

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 10:49 AM
911Freshy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Old Leather

Just got an 86 911 Coupe. The brown leather is in great condition, no rips, etc. and a nice patina but needs a good cleaning/conditioning. Anyone have a recommendation for a product for older leather, preferably one-step? I have checked Griot's Garage, Pelican Parts, Excel Detail and others but not sure if there's a preferred brand.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You could clean the leather with soap and water on a damp sponge, then condition with a high quality conditioner.

I used a 'one step' cleaner and conditioner on my previous 911, an '86 coupe with black leather, years ago. I damaged (discolored) a portion of one of the seats with the product I used, so I recommend using quality products on nearly 20 year old leather. Don't take short cuts.

I use Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner on my cars. The cleaner works very well, even on old dirt and I like the conditioner as well. There are other good leather conditioners and cleaners out on the market too.

Hope this helps,

Jay
90 964
Old 08-04-2005, 05:18 PM
911Freshy
Track Day

Jay,
Thanks for the advice on the one-step products. I definitely do not want to take any short cuts as this is my first Porsche and also my first 20-year-old car! Thanks, and I'll give the Lexol a look.

Todd
Old 08-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoy your 'new' Porsche! 1986 is one of my favorite years for 911's.

Also, some of the pro's I've spoken with over the years recommend conditioning your leather 3-5 times per year, depending on how the car is used. More if it's left in the sun a lot, less if it's stored a lot. For example, my car is a garage queen, so I condition the leather before storing for the winter, then immediately after getting the car out of storage in spring, then once or twice during the summer months, depending on how many shows the car is going to.

I clean the leather every other year or so, but my car gets limited use.

Good luck with the new car!

Jay
90 964
Old 08-04-2005, 07:06 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Cool

I also use Lexol--does a great job! Good luck with your new Porsche and have fun! Regards, Doug
Old 08-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

You most likely have aniline leather (no clear coating) so a great system for you would be Leatherique. After the initial Leatherique application you can then maintain with Leathermaster, the finest leather conditioner I have used in 16 years of professional detailing.

The Leatherique system is designed to remove from deep within the leather imbedded dirt, grime, oils and sweat from the seats. Does a great job.

Anthony
Old 08-05-2005, 02:16 AM
Julia
Instructor

I've been using Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator. I especially like to put it on after the car has been out in the sun and the seats are warm. I apply it by hand (I wear gloves) and let it soak in. The next day I take a soft towel and buff it out. It has taken my seat bolsters from somewhat hard to nice and pliable. My car is a 1980 with sport seats. Brown leather as well. I did use Lexol to clean them origianlly when we bought the car, but I liked Dr. Jackson's for conditioning.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:00 PM
911Freshy
Track Day

Thanks everyone for all the input. Now I've got some choices I can work with. By the way Julia, I love the color of Skippy. Way cool.

Todd
Old 08-05-2005, 09:19 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I received excellent results with this Soffener product. http://colorplus.com/frameset_products.html
No affilation.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:41 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

After years of using Lexol, I switched to Leatherique. Great texture but after 3 applications a few months apart, I just can't get the old dirt out. Even with the 2 step bake in the sun process. Am I not using enough, not rubbing it out hard enough with the 2nd step, or what?
Old 08-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

This morning I lathered up the seats with the oil till they could absorb no more, and I am baking it all day. We'll see what dirt the Prestine clean (step 2) lifts out tonight.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Just finished. Better results with more oil, more Prestine Clean, and more elbow grease. Wish I had used this stuff starting 7 years ago.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:51 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

you can color match by coro code any Porsche stock seats and dye the leather. There are one step prodcut s that can be sprayed, wiped or sponged on. Results are fairly remarkable and quality dye does not come off. There are several prodcuts you can buy online or many shops can do it professionally. Spray is the best method for uniform finish, but you would need to remove the seats. If you are very patient and don't get carried away, by that I mean use several very light coats, it cn be wiped or sponged on just as well. the downside is getting impatient and having a streaked finish. The seats have to be totally clean first. A word of caustion though. It may look so good you will want to go a step further and do the rest of the leather interior. DONT!

Quick Reply: Old Leather