Notices

scratch free lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Default scratch free lug nuts

Do any of you concours folks know of a lug wrench that doesn't scratch your lugs? I was taking some off other day and it's almost impossible to not scratch them. I tried covering the nut with a cloth but that didn't work. I figure you have to take the wheels off for some cleaning so how do you do it without scratching the lugs?

thanks,

c
Old 06-23-2005, 10:08 PM
trozenhorse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a soft socket by some company...the inside is black nylon (plastic) to prevent scratching....i will find the name and send it to you by tomorrow.......TR
Old 06-24-2005, 07:57 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello trozen,

I am interested too.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:14 AM
trozenhorse
Racer

www.boothedesign.com
626-336-1396

good luck
Old 06-26-2005, 08:14 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

www.pelicanparts.com has the best prices on the net and i am about to order one for myself too.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:34 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks trozenhorse. I knew there had to be a tool out there somewhere.

c
Old 06-13-2006, 12:11 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Griots garage has insulated sockets that will not scratch for $59. They come with a carrying case. http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10208
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2006, 10:12 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately, many of these (I don't know about the ones specifically mentioned in this thread) have inserts that come out after only a few uses.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:27 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

My former neighbor had the Griots and they were very well made and the sleeves were tough. If you're looking to use them daily they may not last, but for ocassional use they'll hold up longer than you own your car. My thoughts...

BTW, IN THE AIR, your car is stunning. Really nice link and photos. I saw your 20d. Have you seen the 30d? I dropped my 20d for the Nikon 200. It's heavy as an anchor, but the power is phenomenal. What do you use on your tires?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:44 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<brief hijack>

Thanks, SS.

Yes, I've seen the 30D, but I'm trying not to look too long. I can't afford to be tempted--especially with the amount mods cost on these cars.

I've been bouncing around on tire care. I haven't found one that ~really~ excites me. However, more times than not I use the Zaino tire care product. It provides a clean, but not overly shiny look. Unfortunately, it lasts a bit less than my weekly washes (about 5 days). The search goes on.

<hijack ended>
Old 06-15-2006, 09:38 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I just ordered the Griot's sockets. I'll give you a better evaluation when I get mine.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:16 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I just ordered the Griot's sockets. I'll give you a better evaluation when I get mine.
I just received them the other day and have had a chance to look at them very closely and use them. They are really nice pieces. I would highly recommend them if you have high performance wheels on a couple of cars. The sockets are wrapped with a thick nylon piece that somehow is integrated into the metal by means of lip or rivet. They are quality.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:16 PM
CT03911
Banned

Griots are nice sockets. I have used the set many times.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:04 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
My former neighbor had the Griots and they were very well made and the sleeves were tough. If you're looking to use them daily they may not last, but for ocassional use they'll hold up longer than you own your car. My thoughts...

BTW, IN THE AIR, your car is stunning. Really nice link and photos. I saw your 20d. Have you seen the 30d? I dropped my 20d for the Nikon 200. It's heavy as an anchor, but the power is phenomenal. What do you use on your tires?
Silver Steel, I just bought the Nikon 200 "Outfit kit" on Saturday. It comes with the lens 18-70 lens in the box. Wonderful camera, but I am going to take a class on how to use the thing. As an instrument pilot, its almost easier to fly an airplane in the clouds than using this camera! This darn thing has so many buttons and gizmos on it, I don't know whether I coming or going .... I tried it today and wasn't happy with my results, but with some practice and the proper settings, I'll get there over time...
Old 07-20-2006, 09:50 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Silver Steel, I just bought the Nikon 200 "Outfit kit" on Saturday. It comes with the lens 18-70 lens in the box. Wonderful camera, but I am going to take a class on how to use the thing. As an instrument pilot, its almost easier to fly an airplane in the clouds than using this camera! This darn thing has so many buttons and gizmos on it, I don't know whether I coming or going .... I tried it today and wasn't happy with my results, but with some practice and the proper settings, I'll get there over time...
First of congratulations. I can't believe you pulled it off. You fool. You've just bought one of the most sophisticated cameras ever made. Once you settle in, you'll need to upgrade on the lens see:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200.htm

The all magnesium body is really heavy but provides incredible protection. There is a great link on ken Rockwell's site that shows many functions of the camera (nikon site). Also, he provides some great tips and advice. Since it's digital, you can snap away and determine the best settings for a picture. I really love the thing. It's more power than I'll ever need, giving me the opportunity to grow into the camera and master its abilities.

I'll take some pics of my car and post them here. The key to great pics is lighting, and the key to good lighting is time of day. Shoot in the morning or sunset, or get some filters. Look forward to seeing some of your pics.

BTW, I bought the insulated sockets and they're really nice, too.

Quick Reply: scratch free lug nuts