Notices

Trying to re-use engine compartment stickers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 12:31 PM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trying to re-use engine compartment stickers...

I've just replaced my radiator and these stickers are NLA:

I've managed to remove them with little-to-no damage using lighter fluid and a very sharp gasket scraper. I'll have to clean the old adhesive off the back, obviously... I need suggestions as to how I can best attach them to my new radiator.

I'm pretty sure 3M super weatherstrip adhesive would do the job, but one of my concerns is that if the radiator ever gets damaged, I'd have just about zero chance of getting the stickers off without damaging them. What I need is something that will be strong enough to hold the stickers flat, especially at the corners, and will withstand the heat cycling... yet be removable with some relatively benign solvent at a later date, perhaps lighter fluid or denatured alcohol... both of which seem to have no effect on the ink.

FWIW I'm not particularly interested in concours competition, but I figured some of you restorers might have some ideas...
Old 09-19-2004, 04:56 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave:
FWIW, I have used 3M adhesive on the same stickers on my 914/6 and I can remove them anytime using Release Agent. I must be careful to get the adhesive on evenly and thinly. I must be careful to use Release Agent sparingly and patiently. Anyway it worked for me. Maybe these guys will come up with another idea. Try John Paterek. He must have a technique.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:50 PM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ron,

Do you mean the 3M super weatherstrip adhesive ot the spray adhesive... 77 I think it is?
Old 09-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't know there was a spray adhesive. I would use that if I knew about it. I used weatherstrip adhesive, but it can go on lumpy so it needs to be smoothed before it sets up. Then I would apply some to the spot where I wanted to attach the decal, and let it set up. Then stick it on precisely. I admit it is not close to ideal because of these requirements.

Quick Reply: Trying to re-use engine compartment stickers...