Notices

Duster opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2024, 10:40 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Duster opinions

There seem to be many opinions on using dusters between car washes. The link below indicates that Jay Leno's garage uses one (see the 5 minute mark). What do you think? Also, a big shout out to the Audrain Museum and their great car show in Newport each fall.
Old 07-28-2024, 10:46 PM
J Irwan
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I used them (California car duster). Between that and waterless wash spray. ( if you haven’t try waterless car wash you should give it a try). When the car get too dirty that when I do hand car wash myself.
Old 07-28-2024, 10:50 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Originally Posted by J Irwan
I used them (California car duster). Between that and waterless wash spray. ( if you haven’t try waterless car wash you should give it a try). When the car get too dirty that when I do hand car wash myself.
Some detailers worry about marks on the paint, but if the cotton only lightly touches the paint (as in the video) I'm not sure is that is an issue.
Old 07-28-2024, 11:26 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,114 Likes on 2,042 Posts

My car has full PPF, but I use a Swiffer Duster after each drive.
Old 07-28-2024, 11:35 PM
kilyung
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 30 Posts

I have full PPF and use the California Car Duster regularly.
Old 07-28-2024, 11:43 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 279 Posts

I have the California duster and I was not that impressed. I still have it, but I never use it.
I thought of using a swiffer, but haven’t tried it as yet
My car is completely covered in Xpel. as such, if I feel it’s just dusty I just use a microfiber cloth and just dust it. I’m always surprised at how dirty the microfiber cloth looks after doing this. The car clearly picks up dust just from driving.
Old 07-29-2024, 09:42 AM
J Irwan
Instructor

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
I have the California duster and I was not that impressed. I still have it, but I never use it.
I thought of using a swiffer, but haven’t tried it as yet
My car is completely covered in Xpel. as such, if I feel it’s just dusty I just use a microfiber cloth and just dust it. I’m always surprised at how dirty the microfiber cloth looks after doing this. The car clearly picks up dust just from driving.

The duster when its new, its not that great and will leave some wax mark, which can be wiped off. I have been using the "california car duster" since 2005 and I used them on Black cars, Carbon Black, silver, Grey, white, etc..

I still remember back then were told that the more you use it the better, and the more you use it the wax mark will dissappear.
Old 07-29-2024, 09:51 AM
Risley
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

If you have self healing PPF which heals light scratches from heat a duster is fine, but I would never dust just the clear coat!
The following users liked this post:
TimD (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 10:25 AM
J Irwan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Risley
If you have self healing PPF which heals light scratches from heat a duster is fine, but I would never dust just the clear coat!
That's fair, everyone has different level of risk assessment based on their experience.

Everytime something touch the paint there is always probability mark/scratches introduced. How light/heavy it will be depend on the few factors.

Even the most careful hand-washing techniques cannot produced zero marks.

What I can offer is my own experience (not affiliated or endorsing folks to buy the california car duster) that when I was new to California car duster I have done many experiment with my own car (jet black color) to undestand how much marking (if any) the car duster create.

Thus speaking from experience, right ouf of the bag/packaging the car duster does perform right away. (hence, back then I was told to use it more often right away).

The car duster is not a substitute for a car wash. If you have clean car, then you take it out for a drive, and come back with a little dust, then its the perfect application for car duster.
But if your clean car got rained on, then I wouldn't use car duster.

Its one of the detailing/cleaning tool in my arsenal that is very conveient to use and help keep the car always looking its best.

Last edited by J Irwan; 07-29-2024 at 10:32 AM.
Risley (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 10:38 AM
F8T and 911T
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 64 Posts

ONLY use a duster IF you have full PPF… otherwise, you’re best to use a blower if you have one. Rather than rolling out your car blower (I use BigBoi), I also bought a handheld chargeable powerful little blower that fits right in my hand from Amazon for $80– works really well for blowing off garage dust on body and blowing out interior too.
Risley (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 09:16 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 345 Likes on 153 Posts

I was the general manager of Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories back in the 80s. We brought the first "magic dusters" to the market in '87.
There is a difference in dusters.
The ones with a wooden handle are the best and the wax is baked into the strands. The plastic handle dusters have the wax sprayed on and are less expensive and do not perform as well.
They do get better the more you use them!
Old 07-29-2024, 11:57 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Originally Posted by RJT
I was the general manager of Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories back in the 80s. We brought the first "magic dusters" to the market in '87.
There is a difference in dusters.
The ones with a wooden handle are the best and the wax is baked into the strands. The plastic handle dusters have the wax sprayed on and are less expensive and do not perform as well.
They do get better the more you use them!
I have now tried the plastic handle duster, and am returning it tomorrow. It leaves huge amounts of red lint all over the car, and when it touched my targa top it dropped even more lint. Do not by this version of this product.
Old 07-30-2024, 09:14 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 132 Posts

The thought of dragging contaminants across my car, PPF or not, is not for me. These dusters dont "pick up" the contaminants, they drag them along. I'd rather my car is dusty between washes. Just my $.02
The following 3 users liked this post by Matt(inMA):
BoxKing (Yesterday), BudgetPlan1 (07-31-2024), jmrichards (07-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Duster opinions