Prepping rear inner fender for clear film

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 09:18 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Prepping rear inner fender for clear film

Hi folks, could use some advice.

I've got a 991.2 with just over 8k miles on it. I'll be using this as my daily driver and want to protect the inner fender on the rear from any further pitting and rock chips. The front of the car and mirrors already has a clear bra from the original owner.

Can anyone provide some tips on how to prep this area? It already has some fine chips and nicks from stones and is not smooth to the touch. I'm not going to do a re-paint. and I'm not to concerned about small air bubbles due to existing chips and divitts. But is there a safe way I can take down the edges of the clear coat?

Old 10-21-2019, 03:25 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TRM
Hi folks, could use some advice.

I've got a 991.2 with just over 8k miles on it. I'll be using this as my daily driver and want to protect the inner fender on the rear from any further pitting and rock chips. The front of the car and mirrors already has a clear bra from the original owner.

Can anyone provide some tips on how to prep this area? It already has some fine chips and nicks from stones and is not smooth to the touch. I'm not going to do a re-paint. and I'm not to concerned about small air bubbles due to existing chips and divitts. But is there a safe way I can take down the edges of the clear coat?
The easiest thing to do is take it to a qualified paint protection film installer. To install a small piece of film behind each rear wheel should cost no more than $200-300. They will prep it properly so you don't have to think twice about it, and it will look great without any bubbles or creases.

The existing chips should be left, as is. So often people try to address small issues like these, then they end up making them worse. Given your situation, they will never look perfect, but you can rest assured that with the new film, they will not get any worse.
HRE Wheels . Vossen Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 10-21-2019, 06:07 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,116 Likes on 2,130 Posts

Yes, small chips I would leave. Paint protection will go over it and it will look fine.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:44 AM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated!
Old 10-22-2019, 09:53 PM
Envious Eric
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Esoteric_Detail
The easiest thing to do is take it to a qualified paint protection film installer. To install a small piece of film behind each rear wheel should cost no more than $200-300. They will prep it properly so you don't have to think twice about it, and it will look great without any bubbles or creases.

The existing chips should be left, as is. So often people try to address small issues like these, then they end up making them worse. Given your situation, they will never look perfect, but you can rest assured that with the new film, they will not get any worse.
Agreed 100%

Touch up will only look so good. For example, to spend 4 hours touching up 8 bigger chips, it would be easier and wiser to just have the bumper sanded down, primer, painted, and cleared. The final outcome will be better and the money spent will be roughly the same. Touch up is good for getting color in, but its never going to match 100% and it will stand out under film anyway

Quick Reply: Prepping rear inner fender for clear film