Notices

Leather condition & light restoratjon

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 02:31 PM
Envious Eric
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just used the leatherique twins after a few years of not....really great stuff. Used it on a audi A7 and it brought back the suppleness, removed a few lines, and the end look was more plush
Old 02-07-2021, 10:37 AM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Yet another bump. I have the full leather interior in my '99 C2 and while it's in great shape, the seats get most of the attention. Door panels see little UV damage since they are vertical, and I don't plan on wiping the headliner with anything except Prestine Clean from Leatherique. The dash is the real question. There is stitching along the edges, so it's a leather covered dash.

Earlier in the thread there was a recommendation...and a good one...to go lightly on the dash as too much of any product might cause the glue holding the hide down to loosen. On a detailing forum, Detailer's Domain suggested using Einzett 1Z on the dash to not only give it a light cleaning but keep it supple...as supple as leather stretched like a drum head can be. I have some of this and it works well...I even got blue jean stains off the white leather of a friends MB SLS...but I still hesitate on the dash.

I also have something called Leather Detail Spray from Chemical Guys that is for very light care.

I might try the Prestine Clean first and then evaluate. I want to keep the leather interior in good shape, but I don't want to do anything to screw up the dash or headliner. In reality, the car spends 90% of the time in the garage, [2000-2500 miles a year] so I may be overly concerned about this.

As always, thanks for any feedback.

Old 02-07-2021, 03:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Einsteiger
Yet another bump. I have the full leather interior in my '99 C2 and while it's in great shape, the seats get most of the attention. Door panels see little UV damage since they are vertical, and I don't plan on wiping the headliner with anything except Prestine Clean from Leatherique. The dash is the real question. There is stitching along the edges, so it's a leather covered dash.

Earlier in the thread there was a recommendation...and a good one...to go lightly on the dash as too much of any product might cause the glue holding the hide down to loosen. On a detailing forum, Detailer's Domain suggested using Einzett 1Z on the dash to not only give it a light cleaning but keep it supple...as supple as leather stretched like a drum head can be. I have some of this and it works well...I even got blue jean stains off the white leather of a friends MB SLS...but I still hesitate on the dash.

I also have something called Leather Detail Spray from Chemical Guys that is for very light care.

I might try the Prestine Clean first and then evaluate. I want to keep the leather interior in good shape, but I don't want to do anything to screw up the dash or headliner. In reality, the car spends 90% of the time in the garage, [2000-2500 miles a year] so I may be overly concerned about this.

As always, thanks for any feedback.

Use the Prestine Clean and follow up with a very lightly dampened microfiber to help blend the product if you get any streaking. Once every 6 months should be enough to keep the dash fresh. I would definitely also recommend the same for the doors, especially the tops near the windows which get sun exposure.
The following users liked this post:
Einsteiger (02-07-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 10:36 PM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Esoteric_Detail
You may have seen our video but in case you haven't, this will be right up your alley. At over 20 minutes it is worth watching for anyone looking to care for leather...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JLr7igvCZc
I’ve been using Leatherique wrong. Used it twice and was actually angry at how much effort it took for a slight but noticeable improvement. Only thing that prevented this from going into the garbage was that I was too frustrated to clean up my work area. Will certainly try it again now. Leatherique should be ashamed at their terrible instructions, and actually pay you for the value this video provides them.
The following users liked this post:
Esoteric_Detail (08-04-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 02:55 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by fnckr
I’ve been using Leatherique wrong. Used it twice and was actually angry at how much effort it took for a slight but noticeable improvement. Only thing that prevented this from going into the garbage was that I was too frustrated to clean up my work area. Will certainly try it again now. Leatherique should be ashamed at their terrible instructions, and actually pay you for the value this video provides them.
Have you tried ColourLock? Easy to use, great results.

Quick Reply: Leather condition & light restoratjon