Notices

Leather condition & light restoratjon

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 11:23 PM
oronymo
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Leather condition & light restoratjon

I have a 997 with the sport leather seats and full leather interior. It’s in great shape but the driver’s side seat is showing some wear - little minor creases and wrinkles on the bolsters and some shininess on the base. I’m plannkng to do a proper cleaning but am wondering what if anything I can do to remove or reduce the hairline wrinkles? The leather itself is fine (Ne tears or abrasion or loss of color), just looks “aged” if that makes sense.

Is there a good conditioner that I can rub in to soften it and smooth it out? I use Lexol cleaner/conditioner on our Volkswagen Tiguan.

I’ve searched the forums and it seems most threads are about general cleaning or full on restoration of faded/torn/cracked leather (which my seats are not).
Old 12-03-2018, 09:12 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

It’s unlikely you’ll be able to eliminate the creases but you may be able to reduce their appearance with proper conditioning. Leatherique Rejuvenator followed by Prestine clean are going to be your best bet to accomplish this.

Full leather means you also have leather on the doors and dash, in this case use only the prestine clean applied on a microfiber and a very light application. Too much product will cause the glue under the leather to come undone.
The following users liked this post:
Einsteiger (02-07-2021)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:59 AM
oronymo
Racer

Excellent - thank you! Yes when reading past posts I saw several recommendations for Leatherique bits lot of what I saw was about major restoration and recoloring which is way more than I need to do.

It says you need to let the oils penetrate over time and with heat - aren’t modern Porsche leather seats coated? Can the oil get through the coating?
Old 12-03-2018, 11:52 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Having used it on my 2011 which is likely the same leather as what Porsche currently uses I can say for certain that it will soak in. Coated leathers are still porous, they just don’t let oil/water penetrate as easily. Applying the conditioner on a hot day and letting it soak is your best best and will provide the best results.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:02 PM
oronymo
Racer

May have to wait until summer then... or use a hair dryer in the garage.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

You may have seen our video but in case you haven't, this will be right up your alley. At over 20 minutes it is worth watching for anyone looking to care for leather...

HRE Wheels . Forgeline Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 12-04-2018, 12:32 AM
oronymo
Racer

Originally Posted by Esoteric_Detail
You may have seen our video but in case you haven't, this will be right up your alley. At over 20 minutes it is worth watching for anyone looking to care for leather...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JLr7igvCZc
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:37 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oronymo
May have to wait until summer then... or use a hair dryer in the garage.
I would recommend using some now and again when it gets hot. If you’re trying to improve the seats it won’t hurt to use more than once over a 6 month span.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:04 AM
oronymo
Racer

Ok. Our garage isn’t heated but I could run the heat in the car on high ahead of time. I could even turn on the heated seats if that would help? (Obviously everything would be turned off when actually doing the application)
Old 12-04-2018, 10:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Running the heat and heated seats will definitely help if you can’t leave the Rejuvenator on for very long. If the car won’t be driven you could always apply it on a Friday evening and then remove/clean it on Sunday. When I lived on the East Coast I did this regularly and it worked well, not as good as a hot day but it still helped. Leatherique works best with multiple applications anyways, especially on neglected leather.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:43 PM
oronymo
Racer

I can definitely let it sit in the garage all weekend. Drive it home, run the heat, and apply Friday night. Then clean off Sunday evening.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:13 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

If you let the car sit for days/weeks at a time, then you could also simply apply the Leatherique Rejuvenator multiple times and let it soak into the leather as much as possible. We've had classic Porsches and Ferraris here at Esoteric that we've applied Rejuvenator 5+ times over the course of 2-3 weeks. Even in colder weather, this would work wonders.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:41 AM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

** bump for leather cleaning***

anyone else have a great cleaning regimen for both leather seats and dashboard and console area?
Old 05-28-2019, 11:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

For an initial cleaning of a new to me used car I use Griots Interior cleaner and a microfiber cloth to deep clean the dash and console areas. Be careful around painted parts as they can be scrubbed off.

Once these areas are clean I simply spray distilled water on a microfiber and I wipe down the vinyl/rubber dash and console on a regular basis. I do this on all our cars and have found it keeps the surfaces looking new. On occasion I will apply a vinyl/rubber protectant like 303.

Here’s a shot of my Targa with these products in use...

Old 06-30-2019, 10:44 AM
lflouie
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Leather

I highly recommend Custom-plus leather conditioner (customplus.com). Purchased a 997.1tt last year with low miles, but I suspect the leather had never been treated. It didn't have any defects and wasnt realky dirty but was getting stiff and had a few wrinkles and creases. Using their leather conditioner made a huge difference re- hydrating the leather and substance alky improving the creases and wrinkles.

It is an easy to.apply conditioner used on high end natural leather furniture. They also sell custom blended leather dye for your car.

Quick Reply: Leather condition & light restoratjon