Notices

best treatment for white paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:00 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best treatment for white paint?

looking for recommendations for wax/polish for white (carrara white). I see there are a few offerings specifically for white/light paint (ie, Meguiar's G6107), however i've read that some of these white specific waxes may contain extra cleaners. My new '12 Panny supposedly had a paint sealant applied, so don't want to use any thing too harsh. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2018, 08:49 AM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought this kit from Chemical Guys. It's a bit pricey but thought I would give it a try. I like the results and using the sealant and then wax the car's color just shines. There is a car show in a few weeks so that will be the true test.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/White_P...s_p/hol202.htm
Old 04-26-2018, 08:13 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Perhaps I am too old school and have not kept up with the times. Not sure there is a difference in waxes that are color specific, at least that I can tell. If you have a sealant already or PPF then a good Carnauba wax will bring out the glow better than just about any other product. Have always been happy with P21 100% Carnauba. There are many others out there that are good as well. Check the site sponsor list using drop down above. Detailers Domain and I am sure there are others can hook you up.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:30 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RobT 394
Perhaps I am too old school and have not kept up with the times. Not sure there is a difference in waxes that are color specific, at least that I can tell. If you have a sealant already or PPF then a good Carnauba wax will bring out the glow better than just about any other product. Have always been happy with P21 100% Carnauba. There are many others out there that are good as well. Check the site sponsor list using drop down above. Detailers Domain and I am sure there are others can hook you up.
The waxes formulated for darker paint has pigment in it so the wax is physically darker. Thus it's better at filling in light swirling and scratching on those dark paints. For the same reason you'll want to stick with a light / white wax on lighter colors so you don't get the dark pigment filling in minor imperfections. But yeah, it's not as big a deal as the manufacturers make it out to be. Good carnuba wax is going to do the job. You don't need a "white paint" specific type. Just don't buy one that's "dark paint" specific.

P21S Carnauba, Pinnacle Souveran, Wolfgang Fuzion, Dodo Juice Supernatural, Griot's Premium,Collinite 845, etc.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:09 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by NJS_04_996
looking for recommendations for wax/polish for white (carrara white). I see there are a few offerings specifically for white/light paint (ie, Meguiar's G6107), however i've read that some of these white specific waxes may contain extra cleaners. My new '12 Panny supposedly had a paint sealant applied, so don't want to use any thing too harsh. Thanks!
Its classic advertisement "mind-f**king". They now produce special sealant/wax for dark and light colored cars. Just dont get into that hype.
Having said that, here's my observation. A white car is the easiest color to maintain. However, you are not going to get the high-gloss wet look of a black car regardless of how much you polish and buff it. Black is very high maintenance and it looks terrible if you neglect it. So to restore the new car look, use a good DA polisher, compound and polish it, then either use a sealant or wax and you are good to go.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:26 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not a professional just an avid detailer of my cars. I have read extensively about how to keep a white car looking new since two of my cars are white - a "pure white" '13 C2S (non-metallic) and a non-metallic Alpine White BMW. As with any color the paint must be prepared properly. Shine is the most important thing for white paint. Waxes are opaque trapping light in the wax as it reflects off the surface. This is good for dark colors because it gives the dark color depth and a wet look. But white has in essence no depth. So trapping light in the wax as it reflects off the surface "dulls" the white paint. A sealant is optically clear allowing light to reflect off the surface without being trapped. The more reflective a white surface is the brighter the color. So I have come to the conclusion that a sealant, not a wax, is best for white paint. I use Menzerna Power Lock but I am sure there are many excellent sealants out there. Also I must add that I do not use coatings or have PPF on my cars. My 13 C2S has 42K Miles on it and the BMW is a 2011 with 90K miles. Both look brand new if I do say so myself. 😊
Old 05-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Alansglide
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 27 Posts

The paint on my 77 is about 10 years old and does not have a pro sealant applied so your car might be different.
I use a polymer/wax hybrid by International Aero called Fusion followed by Adams glaze. Both are easy on and easy off products and I'm pleased with the results. Photo is after said procedure
Old 06-29-2018, 03:43 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to touch on back to this post....thank's for all the recommendations! One last question regarding paint prep prior to sealing/waxing/etc-
What is your frequency of clay barring prior to your final prep of choice? Always? or perhaps do you use some other cleaner prep in between clay bar?
Old 06-29-2018, 03:52 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to touch on back to this post....thank's for all the recommendations! One last question regarding paint prep prior to sealing/waxing/etc-
What is your frequency of clay barring prior to your final prep of choice? Always? or perhaps do you use some other cleaner prep in between clay bar?
As needed basis. Feel the paint with your hand and if it doesn't feel smooth (i.e. feels a bit gritty) then clay bar prior to sealing/wax.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:12 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Remember every time the car is clayed (or worse nano-skinned) the paint is marred somewhat which leads to duller paint. What I have learned is that only clay if you are also going to polish afterwards to remove the marks left by the clay. And the clear coat can only be polished so much since some clear coat is removed after each polish. So clay sparingly using a fine grade clay once the paint is in good condition. My paint is in excellent condition so I clay once a year with a very fine grade clay bar followed by a polish with a 3/10 cut and 9/10 polish. I keep cars for a long time so I don't want to polish too often.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:43 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

I topped up a Swissvax Crystal Rock with Zymol Carbon I had left. Came out great, then it rained. I will try R222(P21s) and see if its better than my old Zymol Carbon, if not I will try Zymol Glasur
I was equally as pleased with Zymol Carbon as Crystal Rock from memory. The Rock was applied 2m ago and has had 6-8 washes since, it looked much better after the wax, than before.

Quick Reply: best treatment for white paint?