Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Infamous Coolant / Water Pump Failure w/ Coolant Leak into Vacuum System - How often?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2024, 09:38 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by damaja
Just took my 2020 CPO base in for annual service. I don't know why I do this but I change my oil at half cycles but take it at the service interval for them to give it a once over. Well, I'm glad I did.

69kmi and the water pump is leaking. Thankfully under warranty but "excited" to see how much this repair would have been out of pocket.

I asked the advisor, is this normal or abnormal. "Normal, about this mileage". Good god. I would hope that Porsche would fix the design. 70k miles is too soon for a part like the water pump to fail.
We'll see what's the cost of replacing it..

I had to change one of my Turbos on my 2019 Cayenne S, and the replace cost for just one was $8,000+...

They are not maintainable, so when the vacuum exterior metal handle broke on one, the whole Turbo had to be replaced..

Old 09-24-2024, 11:00 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by damaja
Just took my 2020 CPO base in for annual service. I don't know why I do this but I change my oil at half cycles but take it at the service interval for them to give it a once over. Well, I'm glad I did.

69kmi and the water pump is leaking. Thankfully under warranty but "excited" to see how much this repair would have been out of pocket.

I asked the advisor, is this normal or abnormal. "Normal, about this mileage". Good god. I would hope that Porsche would fix the design. 70k miles is too soon for a part like the water pump to fail.
Thanks for posting this. Did the dealer say how they determined the water pump was leaking? Did you have leaks or drips in the garage/driveway? Overheating or CEL?
Old 09-24-2024, 11:33 PM
damaja
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
Thanks for posting this. Did the dealer say how they determined the water pump was leaking? Did you have leaks or drips in the garage/driveway? Overheating or CEL?

They found indications of a leak, dried pink coolant originating from the water pump, during an inspection of the car. i would post a clip from their walkaround video but i can’t get it small enough!

I had no indications of leak or CELs. ill double check the garage for drips.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-25-2024)
Old 09-27-2024, 06:47 PM
RonVF
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question on this topic. is it possible with a water pump failure that the vacuum system does not get contaminated? Or what if it was contaminated and the vacuum system wasn’t replaced and just a new water pump was installed? i am looking at purchasing a 2019 Cayenne Turbo that had the water pump replaced about 1,000 miles ago but the owner says they did not replace the vacuum pump or hoses. The repair was also not done at a Porsche shop.
Thanks
Old 09-27-2024, 07:20 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by RonVF
I have a question on this topic. is it possible with a water pump failure that the vacuum system does not get contaminated? Or what if it was contaminated and the vacuum system wasn’t replaced and just a new water pump was installed? i am looking at purchasing a 2019 Cayenne Turbo that had the water pump replaced about 1,000 miles ago but the owner says they did not replace the vacuum pump or hoses. The repair was also not done at a Porsche shop.
Thanks
Check how old the Lithium battery is too..

After two years, many of these batteries begin to fail..

Porsche reduced the defective battery prices from a ripoff $2,000 to $1,000, but still charges $1,000 for simple installation/registration labor..

Or, you need to know that there is the Lithium to AGM battery conversion for around $500..

Each Turbo side costs $8,000 to change since they are not maintainable, so make sure they are working fine..

Old 09-27-2024, 09:56 PM
RonVF
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Battery was also recently replaced.
I haven’t heard or read of Turbo issues. $8,000 a side! Yikes, I starting to thinking I’m looking at the wrong vehicles. We did just purchase a new Tesla and I have to say beside the insane acceleration the fact that I never need to worry about doing another oil change along with all the potential stuff going bad, is a real pleasure. Maybe a Cyber truck instead! 😂
Old 09-27-2024, 10:28 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonVF
Thanks
Yes it's possible.

There are reports on rennlist and audiworld where water pumps are replaced with no vacuum components replaced, and with the vacuum solenoid replaced but not the vacuum pump.

All combinations of scenarios are possible. The important thing is to keep an eye on the water pump and get it replaced, preferably under warranty, as soon as possible.
Old 09-28-2024, 08:35 AM
damaja
Rennlist Member

Here are some snap shots from the walkaround video. These show dried coolant, from underneath the car, originating from the water pump and drying on the alternator and belt tensioner. Something to look for, especially since this seems like an early catch. Correction: I have no idea if this is an early catch or not. *shrug*

pink dot on tensioner housing

pink dot on alternator

water pump pink stuff

Last edited by damaja; 09-28-2024 at 08:42 AM. Reason: new thought
The following 3 users liked this post by damaja:
chassis (09-28-2024), dalves11 (09-29-2024), PorscheACC (09-28-2024)
Old 09-28-2024, 10:57 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Great photos, thanks for posting them!
Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM
JC68
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Water pump failure is common on the V8 as well? At what mileage do they usually fail and does it fail more commonly/sooner in hot climates?
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JC68
Water pump failure is common on the V8 as well? At what mileage do they usually fail and does it fail more commonly/sooner in hot climates?
Yes pump failure has been reported on V8.

Failure can occur before 100k miles.

Insufficient data to answer the climate question.
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
damaja
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chassis
Yes it's possible.

There are reports on rennlist and audiworld where water pumps are replaced with no vacuum components replaced, and with the vacuum solenoid replaced but not the vacuum pump.

All combinations of scenarios are possible. The important thing is to keep an eye on the water pump and get it replaced, preferably under warranty, as soon as possible.
indications from the dealer are that they’re going to replace vacuum items as well. won’t know until it see the final sheet. will update.
chassis (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM
JC68
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Is water pump failure mileage based or could be time base as well? My .1 turbo is at 39k miles.
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JC68
Is water pump failure mileage based or could be time base as well? My .1 turbo is at 39k miles.
Unknowable. Water pump active shroud failure root cause appears to be a rod seal failure, which separates vacuum from coolant. Because the seal is polymeric “rubber” time and usage are both factors.

Thermostat and coolant shutoff valve failures are also reported. Similar story - seal failure where time and usage are both factors.

Last edited by chassis; Yesterday at 10:15 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
ck54
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2020 Turbo, Mine failed a 28,000 miles. No damage to the vacuum system.
The replacement has a 2year warranty.
chassis (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Infamous Coolant / Water Pump Failure w/ Coolant Leak into Vacuum System - How often?