Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Infamous Coolant / Water Pump Failure w/ Coolant Leak into Vacuum System - How often?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM
RennHou
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything that can be done to preempt failure? Can water pump be removed and seals replaced or full water pump replaced? Surely must be cheaper than failure and associated vacuum line repairs
Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Originally Posted by RennHou
Anything that can be done to preempt failure? Can water pump be removed and seals replaced or full water pump replaced? Surely must be cheaper than failure and associated vacuum line repairs
Water pump replacement. Failures have been reported <50k miles so it’s a guessing game when a preemptive replacement should be done.

Cooling system hardware on these cars is garbage.
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by RennHou
Yes, but no dealer will perform pre-emptive part replacement paid under warranty.. It will be on your own dime..

Just another profitable Porsche set of defective design/parts that is and will be filling Porsche’s pockets for decades to come.

Maybe in preparation for needed increase profits at the cost of its owners, to prevent decreased profit from the huge future EV competition, or maybe both..

Old Today, 08:05 AM
Cayenne19Turbo
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought a 2019 3 months ago from a porsche dealer.

Car had 25,xxx miles. I put about 2k miles on it. Sitting at 27xxx now. Just had the dreaded warning the other day. Tried to drive it to the house and in the process received the "Cooling pump faulty" message in the dash. I was scared 'sitless'.

Indy that works only on porsches want $5,500 to fix. No extended warranty bought. Havent even gone to a Porsche dealership to find out how much $$$ they want.

Im surprised these are not under the class action for VW, Audi.. etc when the parts are literally used in all of them interchangeably.

I wonder if the "new" pumps are any different than the ones we have in to make it worth the $ to fix.

Im cooked.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (Today)
Old Today, 08:50 AM
c-dubmobile
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayenne19Turbo

Car had 25,xxx miles. I put about 2k miles on it. Sitting at 27xxx now. Just had the dreaded warning the other day. Tried to drive it to the house and in the process received the "Cooling pump faulty" message in the dash. I was scared 'sitless'.

Indy that works only on porsches want $5,500 to fix. No extended warranty bought. Havent even gone to a Porsche dealership to find out how much $$$ they want.

Im surprised these are not under the class action for VW, Audi.. etc when the parts are literally used in all of them interchangeably.

I wonder if the "new" pumps are any different than the ones we have in to make it worth the $ to fix.

Im cooked.
I’m sorry to hear that. I take it’s not a CPO either?
Based on a few reports < 30k miles, it seems like this is more time based than mile based.
I think I will try to unload my CPO when the 2+1 warranty runs out in about ~3yrs
Old Today, 11:47 AM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I’m wondering how common this issue is and at what time or mileage it tends to occur. Perhaps a survey similar to the one done for the 958 transfer case issue might be in order. I’m sure it helped push Porsche toward an extended warranty. Also, it seems to me that Audi extended the warranty on their Q5 water pumps because of the same issue.
Old Today, 12:35 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayenne19Turbo

Im cooked.
Yeap, this is another Porsche design flaw, part defect, that will be enriching Porsche coffers for decades to come..

Porsche is not a stupidly naive company when designing engines and parts so they knew this early failure parts will profit them dearly..

.i.e. defective battery that's suppose to last 8-10 years but fails in around 2 years with a custom design so that no third party companies can create replacement parts and Porsche charged for 5 years $2,000 for the battery and $1,000 for labor on a simple battery/registration process.

Of course, this water pump with the vacuum system interaction that can produce $10,000 repairs as soon as 27,000 miles, like in this case..

Not to mention all the electronics gremlins galore that if you don't have warranty, you will be out several 10's of thousands dollars..

It seems Porsche is setup to continue to deep profit from defective parts, repair, ridiculous simple service prices, etc.. for decades to come..

Definitely, not the old Porsche company that pushed for high-end improved technology..

And, Porsche current engine technology is mostly common, so it is not like they are at the edge of technology.

Second, EVs will blow away all ICE defect/problem prone engines, so Porsche needs 600+ mile range, or there will be no difference with other even common EV brands that cost a fraction of Porsche overpriced brand.

Last edited by PorscheACC; Today at 12:40 PM.
Old Today, 05:36 PM
c-dubmobile
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With the water pump and the LiFePo4 battery gate, it’s hard to believe as a first time Porsche owner that it’s at the top among Euro brands for reliability and consumer satisfaction for consumer reports / JD power

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ity-chart.html
Old Today, 07:32 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Originally Posted by c-dubmobile
With the water pump and the LiFePo4 battery gate, it’s hard to believe as a first time Porsche owner that it’s at the top among Euro brands for reliability and consumer satisfaction for consumer reports / JD power

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ity-chart.html
The best thing about Porsche reliability is that it is not Mercedes (non-) reliability.

Quick Reply: Infamous Coolant / Water Pump Failure w/ Coolant Leak into Vacuum System - How often?