Sponsored By:

2019-2023 Cayenne or 2024 Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2024, 11:32 PM
911happy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019-2023 Cayenne or 2024 Land Cruiser

For those of you who have owned or driven both 2024 Land Cruiser 250 LC/FE trim and 2019-2023 Cayenne S / E-hybrid, would you provide your opinions on how they compare? Driving experience, comfort, size, maintenance, cargo space, etc. What would you recommend for doing 95% on road driving, daily driver 10k miles/year, and occasionally camping trips / dirt / snow road driving?
Old 08-19-2024, 06:42 AM
rjk25
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

My only concern with porsche is maintance and reliablity. I have had the lithium battery issue and have been debating on whether to move on to a Lexus gx 550 for next year. I'v been waiting to see if the reprogrammed battery lasts and with no other issues. I was just waiting also to see if any issues arise with the new Lexus as well... I do enjoy the cayenne drives great luv the feel and look... Its just been the reliablity issue that had me a bit concerned..
Old 08-19-2024, 08:05 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 295 Posts

The new Land Cruiser does not look as beefy or substantial as I would have hoped.
Old 08-19-2024, 09:40 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Interesting you would be cross shopping the Land Cruiser and Cayenne. To me they have different focus. The Land Cruiser has always been a go anywhere mud slinging vehicle while the Cayenne is about driver experience and performance with some ability for off-road. I have never owned a Land Cruiser but in general they have had a good reputation. The Cayenne is a very good road vehicle and comfortable eating up highway miles. The V8 of the GTS will perform well without breaking the bank on fuel. Yes there has been an issue with the 12v lithium battery, which I have yet to experience, but other than that it has been rock solid through 24k miles. It’s more about what you want in a vehicle. With the 2 you are comparing which fits your lifestyle the best?
Old 08-19-2024, 10:28 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Panamera or Accord?
911 or Miata?
Taycan or Leaf Model 3?
Macan or RAV4?
Wagyu or USDA Choice?

Low volume, high quality, premium product and premium price or High Volume, high quality value priced product and value pricing.

NOTE: if you have to replace PCCB's on a Cayenne it can cost more than an entire Land Cruiser…and replacement 12V batteries are $2k or more

Another Note: Porsche is the most profitable car vendor in the world.

just be clear on what you're buying and why and you'll make the right decision.

but no one will ever confuse a Cayenne with a Land Cruise - and that true in many dimensions and factors - some good for Porsche, some not so good for Porsche and equally true for the Land Cruiser…

I see people bringing Cayenne's to the track - they do ok if you base line that it's a 5,000 lbs SUV on track - I almost never see (or have actually never seen) a Land Cruise on track, Cayennes do better than you'd realize off road and run endurance rally's in the desert - they are not fragile grocery gettings and soccer transport vehicle's - they can be serious off road - but it will cost you vs. doing the same thing virtually any other AWD SUV…

Cayennes are very very capable vehicle's and not just for show - but price is not what they are optimized for. I've had my Cayenne on track it did better than some dedicated sports cars - I doubt you could say the same of Land Cruiser - but then again how many Land Cruisers can you buy for the price of one Cayenne.

I'd never put the two in the same purchasing decision like I wouldn't compare a Rolex to a Swatch

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-19-2024 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-19-2024, 11:13 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

does this topic come up in Land Cruise forums?

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...cking-tgt.html
Old 08-19-2024, 11:43 AM
irv09
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I owned the previous generation Lexus LX and went back to a Cayenne in 2019 and I agree with the earlier posts in that the two are different drives. I current twin turbo engine in the Lexus is better than the previous V8 and that should make the Toyota/Lexus better for daily driving. I think the Toyota/Lexus will beat Porsche in reliability with the exception of the bearing issues in the early TT V6 which has been worked out. Good luck!!
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 11:58 AM
JRoman21
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Not exactly the same comp but this past Saturday, i test drove the GX550 Luxury and was very disappointed in the drive. Specifically i felt a ton of body roll both side to side when changing lanes (mildly aggressive) and during braking. I really like the look of it and the interior is solid for the price although i found the dash/gauges a tad on the smaller side with its digital display. We then proceeded to test drive a CPO '24 Cayenne S with sport exhaust. This is my first time driving a Cayenne in 5+ years and I was very pleasantly surprised. Grant it its 30-40K more than the Lexus and two totally different vehicles/uses but I think I like it more than I was expecting. The exhaust was very intoxicating as well.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 10:15 PM
911happy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rjk25
My only concern with porsche is maintance and reliablity. I have had the lithium battery issue and have been debating on whether to move on to a Lexus gx 550 for next year. I'v been waiting to see if the reprogrammed battery lasts and with no other issues. I was just waiting also to see if any issues arise with the new Lexus as well... I do enjoy the cayenne drives great luv the feel and look... Its just been the reliablity issue that had me a bit concerned..
The maintenance and reliability with Cayenne are my concerns too, especially considering a used one. The Land Cruisers are known to last forever, but the verdict for the hybrid engine of new LCs are not out yet.
Old 08-19-2024, 10:17 PM
911happy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Patriot
The new Land Cruiser does not look as beefy or substantial as I would have hoped.
They went smaller compared to the last 300 series generation released in US. I think the new LC is the same size or slightly bigger than the cayenne.
Old 08-19-2024, 10:30 PM
911happy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rdboxster
Interesting you would be cross shopping the Land Cruiser and Cayenne. To me they have different focus. The Land Cruiser has always been a go anywhere mud slinging vehicle while the Cayenne is about driver experience and performance with some ability for off-road. I have never owned a Land Cruiser but in general they have had a good reputation. The Cayenne is a very good road vehicle and comfortable eating up highway miles. The V8 of the GTS will perform well without breaking the bank on fuel. Yes there has been an issue with the 12v lithium battery, which I have yet to experience, but other than that it has been rock solid through 24k miles. It’s more about what you want in a vehicle. With the 2 you are comparing which fits your lifestyle the best?
I will probably not go off road so I want primarily a good on-road SUV. I want reliable SUVs that I can daily drive without fearing something will break and cause me a fortune to fix. I’d like drive it for at least 150K miles and to keep it for 10 years or longer. I have a 991.1 so I don’t need to track a SUV. With the price of USED 9Y0 Cayenne without CPO about the same as NEW Land Cruiser, I am in this dilemma of considering either one.

Last edited by 911happy; 08-19-2024 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2024, 10:38 PM
911happy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Panamera or Accord?
911 or Miata?
Taycan or Leaf Model 3?
Macan or RAV4?
Wagyu or USDA Choice?
This is funny but honestly not a fair comparison for Cayenne vs Land Cruiser.
Old 08-19-2024, 11:44 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I think you may discover that it will be pretty difficult to find someone here on the forum that has direct experience with a '24 Land Cruiser and a 9YO Cayenne hybrid. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, and someone will end up chiming in.

Toyota of course is renown for its historical record of reliability. I'm not sure how the '24 Land Cruiser will fare because it's an all-new model with a completely different powertrain (2.4L 4 cylinder hybrid.) Perhaps you may be aware of the recent recall by Toyota of their new V6 (100,000 vehicle recall). I believe engine failures based on debris from machining during manufacture that was not removed. Very un-Toyota like. Anomaly? Maybe. Maybe not.

I've owned a Land Cruiser - but it was years ago. Had a very good V8 engine. Was good off road. But not really exemplary in any other way. And actually it wasn't that reliable for me.

I have a neighbor with a '24 Land Cruiser. I've looked at it and for me, not impressive in any way - particularly when comparing it to my Cayenne (2019 base model.) My primary objection being materials appearing to be of significantly lesser quality. The build quality of the Porsche is better.

If your primary priority is reliability and maintenance costs, all you have to go on is the historical track record of Toyota and Porsche. Toyotas have been more reliable and have cost less to maintain. Given that the '24 Land Cruiser is all new - maybe it will hold to that previously proven Toyota track record.

If your off-road driving will be on rugged trails, the Toyota would be better suited to that of course. That vehicle was created more for that environment.

If you don't place much priority on vehicle on-road dynamics, then the Toyota should be ok. (It will never steer, handle, ride, accelerate, or stop anything like a Cayenne. Not even close.)

As others have stated, it's an odd comparison to make.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-19-2024, 11:56 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Rather than comparing the Land Cruiser to a Cayenne, maybe it would make sense to compare it to a Grenadier instead.

The local Mercedes / Porsche dealer here just added the Grenadier to their franchise. They are selling here in my location - where off-roading is a very big deal.

The Grenadier has a BMW B58 inline 6 (probably the best 6 cylinder being produced today.) I think the transmission is BMW-sourced as well.

It's a rugged vehicle and seems to me to be more of a direct competitor to the Land Cruiser. It is also in the same price category as the Land Cruiser.

Might be worth checking out.

Old 08-20-2024, 12:27 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,829 Likes on 2,163 Posts

2015 LX570 owner here.

Little different from the question. But it’s been bullet proof. Zero issues. Lexus is a great experience, maintenance will be much less.

We’ve had our LX on some serious high clearance trails.

These different animals than Cayenne anything.

With that being said, we’ve loved the Lexus, but have a 2025 Cayenne GTS in production.

In the end we decided the on road sport aspect of the Porsche is best for us.

Good luck on the decision. But first decide what you prioritize.

Quick Reply: 2019-2023 Cayenne or 2024 Land Cruiser