Sponsored By:

2019-2023 Cayenne or 2024 Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2024, 08:43 AM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

In the end we decided the on road sport aspect of the Porsche is best.
This. Pick the right tool for the job. I’d be buying a CPO 2021+ Cayenne Base then adding a cheap off-roader if that’s an actual hobby. If you’re only going on trails, the Cayenne is more than competent with the correct tires and better on the road getting there.
Old 08-20-2024, 01:46 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 590 Posts

I believe they are completely different animals. I have just acquired a 2024 Cayenne e_hybrid. For an SUV its sporty, handles well, and with the air suspension its super comfortable in normal mode. I took a 2024 Cayenne S on the track at PECLA and its shockingly good around corners . I just traded in my 2021 Land Rover Defender which I really liked but its completely different to the Cayenne. I would suggest the Land Rover would be more cross shopped with a Land Cruiser than a Cayenne. I had my LR for 3.5 years and it was rock solid. I'd definitely get another one. Good highway cruiser too (believe it or not - I did many trips from LA to Tahoe in it) with its air suspension and its great in snow and off road. I am sure the Cayenne is capable off road but it feels too "nice" to want to bash it up driving through bad roads and vegetation etc.
Old 08-20-2024, 06:18 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 425 Likes on 312 Posts

over 70% of all Porsches are still on the road, so either they are fairly reliable, or the owners are passionate about them and keep them in service by completed required repairs and maintenance.
Old 08-20-2024, 06:56 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
over 70% of all Porsches are still on the road, so either they are fairly reliable, or the owners are passionate about them and keep them in service by completed required repairs and maintenance.
100% of all landcruisers built since 1958 are on the road so porsche has a long way to go lol
Old 08-20-2024, 08:05 PM
matthewr87
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 911happy
I will probably not go off road so I want primarily a good on-road SUV. I want reliable SUVs that I can daily drive without fearing something will break and cause me a fortune to fix. I’d like drive it for at least 150K miles and to keep it for 10 years or longer. I have a 991.1 so I don’t need to track a SUV. With the price of USED 9Y0 Cayenne without CPO about the same as NEW Land Cruiser, I am in this dilemma of considering either one.
I personally would never own a Cayenne past the warranty period. We bought our Cayenne GTS CPO when it was just under one year old so it had over 5 years of warranty at the time of our purchase. It is going to be traded in the day before the warranty expires. There are just too many "not if but when" issues with these cars (LiPOS battery failure $3.5K, water pump failure $8K, air suspension failure $6K) that make it a foolish proposition to keep past the warranty period, particularly since the depreciation is so steep that a couple of problems at 5 or 6 years old will be enough to mechanically total the car.
Old 08-20-2024, 11:13 PM
911happy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
. I just traded in my 2021 Land Rover Defender which I really liked but its completely different to the Cayenne. I would suggest the Land Rover would be more cross shopped with a Land Cruiser than a Cayenne. I had my LR for 3.5 years and it was rock solid. I'd definitely get another one. Good highway cruiser too (believe it or not - I did many trips from LA to Tahoe in it) with its air suspension and its great in snow and off road. I am sure the Cayenne is capable off road but it feels too "nice" to want to bash it up driving through bad roads and vegetation etc.
I like how the LR Defender look very much but I’m afraid of it’s reputation - very unreliable and very costly to repair. For those reasons, I’m not considering it.
Old 08-20-2024, 11:19 PM
911happy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by matthewr87
I personally would never own a Cayenne past the warranty period. We bought our Cayenne GTS CPO when it was just under one year old so it had over 5 years of warranty at the time of our purchase. It is going to be traded in the day before the warranty expires. There are just too many "not if but when" issues with these cars (LiPOS battery failure $3.5K, water pump failure $8K, air suspension failure $6K) that make it a foolish proposition to keep past the warranty period, particularly since the depreciation is so steep that a couple of problems at 5 or 6 years old will be enough to mechanically total the car.
These are issues that I’m afraid of. I can’t imagine driving a time bomb.
Old 08-20-2024, 11:26 PM
911happy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ironman88
If you don't place much priority on vehicle on-road dynamics, then the Toyota should be ok. (It will never steer, handle, ride, accelerate, or stop anything like a Cayenne. Not even close.)
This is why I’m considering the Cayenne, the Porsche driving dynamic. Hard to beat that feeling.
Old 08-20-2024, 11:55 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

given costs to repair should it need it - all Porsche's are time bomb's - other vehicles may have the same reliablty - but are cheaper to repair parts & labor…
The following users liked this post:
Butzi (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 12:19 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewr87
The maintenance and reliability with Cayenne are my concerns too, especially considering a used one. The Land Cruisers are known to last forever, but the verdict for the hybrid engine of new LCs are not out yet.
If you go for a 2022 or 2023 Cayenne, the vehicle will have an AGM battery rather than the LiFePO4 battery - so issues with the Lithium battery replacement costs can be side-stepped.

If you seek out a CPO vehicle, other repair issues for the most part will also be side-stepped.

Maintenance costs will be higher on the Cayenne, but the fact that you anticipate driving only about 10k miles annually will help in that regard.

Old 08-21-2024, 12:32 AM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 55 Posts

I had a diatribe penned out and deleted it:
Unless you're going to "overland" all the time, for your 95% on-road: Get the Cayenne!
You can always get a second set of wheels/tires for winters or all-terrains(?).
Markups on the 250 LC are nuts. What about the new 4Runner?
It doesn't sound like you need a second vehicle, but if you want an off roader, get/build one specifically for that use. The Ineos Grenadier has now been out for a year. Has some issues but a ton of potential. I cancelled my early reservation to let it mature.
From a modded 200-Series Land Cruiser owner and daily driver. I cannot wait for my Macan GTS & wife's Cayenne to show up.
If you need more opinions on the 250 LC, go to the ih8mud forums.

EDIT: I probably would not own a modern Porsche out of warranty unless i possessed the skills to repair it. Just not worth the cost. Plan accordingly.

Last edited by Butzi; 08-21-2024 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-21-2024, 10:55 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 590 Posts

I like how the LR Defender look very much but I’m afraid of it’s reputation - very unreliable and very costly to repair. For those reasons, I’m not considering it.
I think you'll be surprised at this reputation being pre-2020. The new LR's are different. Do some research and form an opinion after that. Mine had zero issues in 25K miles and 3.5 years. Plus its warrantied. The LR has a beautiful interior, good sound system, rides great on the air suspension

If you're looking for sporty - Cayenne. More rugged offroad chops - LR or LC. If I were looking to buy something reasonably priced to buy and maintain for 10+ years - I'd get an LC. Their reputation of being rock solid and lasting forever is well earned.

Here's my old LR 110 SE

Old 08-24-2024, 02:21 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,213 Posts

This is why I’m considering the Cayenne, the Porsche driving dynamic. Hard to beat that feeling.
You won't find that in the Land Cruiser... that's for sure...

Old 08-27-2024, 11:49 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,510 Posts

I have owned a 1998 Land Cruiser that I bought new so while not relative to a 2024 model, it was a boring workhorse to drive, with an out-of-date V8 engine that was a gas hog. Kept it 5 years and went to a BMW X5, never regretted selling it.

I have a 2021 Cayenne GTS now (that I just put up for sale yesterday https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1427020) that is a joy to drive, especially on trips - and have had zero maintenance issue with. I liked it so much I have a new 2025 on the water right now that will be ready for pickup in 2 weeks. With three Porsches in the garage right now and having owned them in one form or another since 1977, the have been tough, reliable vehicles. Having said that, dealer prices for service are insane - they really are. My wife's Macan S is due for a PDK filter change and the dealer gets $ 1,750 for that service. Parts are $ 50 and it will take me no more than 2 hours to do myself.

For a pre-owned Cayenne if you want to use the Dealer for service just extend the warranty for as long as you like, it's about $ 1,500 per year from your Porsche Dealer. Or, find a good independent if not doing things in your garage. The worst choice is to go out-of-pocket at the Dealer, however.

Quick Reply: 2019-2023 Cayenne or 2024 Land Cruiser