Sponsored By:

24 Cayenne new windshield $$$

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2024, 08:46 PM
ThomasWShea
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
The windows in new cars are simply thinner. This is to reduce weight because glass is heavy. Unfortunately, this has its consequences - such windows are more susceptible to damage (cracks).
do we know the thickness by year? i recall having the impression german cars all had thicker windshields back in 2000 when i got by first BMW. back then i thought they were 6mm or 8mm, can’t recall, but the thickness was known.
Old 08-20-2024, 12:33 PM
Mdoots
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
My small crack blossomed into a full flower sitting in the 104 degree days here in Texas. Luckily I have no deductible with State Farm, but get this, the cost to replace our thermal, noise deadening, heated windshield is a massive $4518!

Insurance came back at $3650 (most likely because they were using a glass repair shop instead of Porsche). I will argue the point but still end up paying the difference.

I do think they are making windshields less durable. My last Cayenne has several small rock dings that we had filled and that was from 10 years of driving between Dallas and Vail, this new car didn't make it 5000 miles before needed a new windshield, and the rock hit wasn't even something notable.

Check your insurance and verify your windshield damage is no deductible as these guys are expensive.
I think I brought on some bad mojo when I read this thread in the morning. Wife called in the afternoon and said she took a large rock to the passenger side of her 2024 base cayenne (heated windshield, hud, etc. etc.). Dealership in Calgary got back to me with a quote of 4100.00 Cdn + shop supplies and tax. Good grief. Also need it for 2 days. I'll aim to have this replaced when it goes in to get winters swapped.

My insurance company (Cooperaters) does not even offer glass coverage as an option anymore to any clients (maybe it's just in Alberta where they use gravel in the winter). Thankfully we did get the Porsche Glass Protection for $1500 which basically gets us one windshield for that price and then we are back to the regular price.

A few approximate prices (Cdn $) I recall for new (OEM) glass over the years:

2010 Audi Q5 - $250.00 (Just a windshield)
2016 Audi S6 - $1800.00 (HUD, rain sense etc.)
2021 Audi Q7 - $2600.00 (HUD, rain sense etc.)
2023 Porsche Cayenne - $3100 (HUD, rain sense etc.)
2024 Porshce Cayenne - $4100 (HUD, rain sense etc.)

This sort of reminds of buying a razor and then getting beat up on the blades. As a teenager in the early 90s, I paid $250.00 for a used 1980 Mazda GLC Hatchback .... yikes.

Old 08-20-2024, 10:28 PM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 120 Posts

Has anyone used exoshield (or similar)? basically an iphone type screen protector for your windshield. I had one on my last car, initially it teared up after about 18 months but when I went in to replace it they said it was in a faulty batch and did a free replacement. Anyway, it was great, eliminated pitting on the windshield and no noticable vision issues, probbaly not goiing to prevent the worst offenses but my expectation is it should eliminate most of them. Not sure what it would cost for a Cayenne, probably $800 ish these days but worth it for avoiding the large repair cost and hassle.
Old 08-20-2024, 10:55 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,386 Likes on 1,251 Posts

My brother had it installed on his car (although not a Cayenne.) He's had it on several cars and it's worked out great for him.

No visual distortion through the material. Cost on his car was about $1k.

Old 08-21-2024, 12:45 AM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
My brother had it installed on his car (although not a Cayenne.) He's had it on several cars and it's worked out great for him.

No visual distortion through the material. Cost on his car was about $1k.

Awesome ride!!
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 06:17 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckett76
Has anyone used exoshield (or similar)? basically an iphone type screen protector for your windshield. I had one on my last car, initially it teared up after about 18 months but when I went in to replace it they said it was in a faulty batch and did a free replacement. Anyway, it was great, eliminated pitting on the windshield and no noticable vision issues, probbaly not goiing to prevent the worst offenses but my expectation is it should eliminate most of them. Not sure what it would cost for a Cayenne, probably $800 ish these days but worth it for avoiding the large repair cost and hassle.
I had something similar on a 911 once. I paid a pretty penny for it, if I recall. A week later, a small rock cracked the entire windshield. I won’t be paying for such a product ever again! Lower sitting sports cars are more prone to windshield rock chips but not one is really immune.

Quick Reply: 24 Cayenne new windshield $$$