Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Another E-hybrid question…

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2024, 11:12 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 590 Posts

Thanks Dave - should have done a sub panel using this approach. What gauge wire does one use when connecting the main panel to the sub panel - is it still 6 gauge? Boy i didn't realize how much i didn't know. For me it just be easier to do something like an 80amp breaker, run 6 gauge and then have 2 EVSE's (another Wallbox for me - they can load balance if you have more than 1 - I believe) and a backup NEMA. I am not sure this house is a long term house for me - although i have lived here for 26 years with several remodels.
Old 08-22-2024, 12:41 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Thanks Dave - should have done a sub panel using this approach. What gauge wire does one use when connecting the main panel to the sub panel - is it still 6 gauge? Boy i didn't realize how much i didn't know. For me it just be easier to do something like an 80amp breaker, run 6 gauge and then have 2 EVSE's (another Wallbox for me - they can load balance if you have more than 1 - I believe) and a backup NEMA. I am not sure this house is a long term house for me - although i have lived here for 26 years with several remodels.
DO NOT TAKE MY ADVICE FOR WIRE GAUGE - there are several factors lenth and type of run for example that vary by region and building codes - consult a local electrican for the best choices given your house, your situation, and local inspections and permits - you must must must get a qualified electrician to review your situation and make the best decision.

for me personally I don't care about the speed as much as I do the convenience of multiple EVSE - you can do a shared load EVSE (like Tesla, Enphase, Wallbox) even with a 50 amp circuit - and then just plug in both vehicle's and let the dynamic load balancing work it out overnight - turns out it's not a strick static split the EVSE's will vary the load and the exzct split basedon demand - and if the EV's are charging at different times the load may be full

Example:

1. Tesla will start charging at exactly the earliest moment in a charging time window (say midnight to 7 am off peek)
2. Taycan will charge at the last possible moment to meet a departure time - say 8 am
3. Hybrid will charge to meet a departure time say 10 am for my wife

TEsla needs 3 hours to charge
Taycan needs 1.5 hours to charge
Hyubrid needs 2 hours

3 EV's plugged in splitting 50 amp breaker (40 amp charge load)

Tesla will charge from mid-night to 3 am at full 9.6 kW
Taycan will charge from 6:30 am to 8 am at a full 9.6 kW
Hybrid will charge from 8 am to 10 am at 7.2 kW

given different times of day the load will never be split even though 3 EV's are sharing a single 50 amp circuit

also as the Hybrid gets close to full it will taper the charge down from the full 7.2 kW as it lowers it load that frees up "amps" for the other EV's to pull more power from their EVSE

it's super slick and works great - and will normal time shifting and different demand levels even when 3 or 4 EV's are plugged in all at once, it really may not matter…and the reduction in charging load for any given single EV may not be that much because at the exact moment it's charging it may not be competing with another EV…

also 8-10 hours overnight for a full 9.6 kW of available charge capacity is almost 100 kWh of power to split up amoung 2-3 EV's overnight - very very rarely will 100 kWh of power be insufficient to charge even 3 EV's over night and their daily usage even if you're only sharing a 50 amp breaker…

but as a general guide this little table I found on the internet seems to be mostly accurate…but again please consult with someone qualified, licenced, bonded, experienced - and that is NOT me.

Old 08-22-2024, 12:46 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

this is the easiest shared EVSE (split load) on the planet - single 50 amp breaker - charge one or two EV's at the same time - split load when charging two, and full load when charging one - it's a trival retrofit to an existing 50 amp circuit and from one of the best names in North American EVSE

this is the simplest way to get an dyanmic - powerwharing EVSE for dual EV's - other ways also work - but this is "plug-n-play" to your existing 50 amp circuit.

Tesla, Enphase/ClipperCreek, WallBox are also great and fairly straigt forward, but the product below is a single unit with two charging cords - I mean what could be easier?

https://enphase.com/store/ev-charger...ual-ev-charger

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-22-2024 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Another E-hybrid question…