Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Another E-hybrid question…

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 02:21 PM
Elucidus
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

My experience with my 2019 is that "Hybrid" mode will generally engage the gas motor at any speed above 50mph, as long as you are maintaining a steady load. If you brake or start a downhill descent, it will go into electric only mode and possibly clamp back some energy. The steeper the downgrade, the higher the speed at which you will return to "E" mode. I generally only use sport if I want to have a little fun, pre-warm the motor for fun, or keep the motor running because I inadvertently started the motor on what would have been a pure EV drive otherwise. You should be able to get a feel for what the car can and can't do electric range wise as you drive it a bit. I have one route for starting a bike ride where I am about 1/2 freeway and 1/2 expressway. I put it in hybrid mode for the freeway sections and electric mode for the remainder. This will get me close to 0% by the time I return mode. It's a little game to play to try to maximize EV range.

A fun note from my cross country trip - while in areas with more freedom than the state I lived in (e.g. max speed limit >70mph), there were many times that I would gently decelerate to a rest stop while at 0% indicated battery power. In these conditions, I could see the battery power filling up - sometimes even 5-10%. There were also some massive downhill sections where I could recuperate significant amounts of power.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 03:04 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 426 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
800-1500 miles on a tank of gas with home charging is very very plausible and matches my experience with our 2021 Cayenne TurboS eHybrid - frequent charging and normal daily driving means there is very very little actual gas usage because the "EV" portion picks up most of the miles…

there is a story with the Chevy Volt (another excellent hybrid) that Chevy had to release a software update to force the gas motor to run at least a few times every 6 months lest the gasoline in the tank go bad and it was causing warranty work on the gas-generator-motor due to bad gasoline that had been stored in the tank too long…

the hybrid can be very compelling for normal daily use and frequent charging.
The Volt has two fallbacks. First, if the ICE hasn't run in six weeks it will initiate "Engine Maintenance Mode" and run it for a few minutes. Second, it monitors when gas has been added to the tank. If the tank has not been filled for a year, it will initiate "Fuel Maintenance Mode". This forces you to burn through the remaining gas in the tank and add more. (We've hit both many times in my wife's 2016 Volt - as we generally use it for local driving and take the Tesla for road trips. The Volts 40-50 mile EV range almost always covers her daily driving.) There is also a third situation for oil changes. The oil monitor is based both on usage and time. Even if the ICE is hardly used, it wants an oil change every two years.

AFAIK, these features were in the earliest Gen 1 Volts from the start, and not software updated after the fact.
Old 07-26-2024, 03:10 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz944
The Volt has two fallbacks. First, if the ICE hasn't run in six weeks it will initiate "Engine Maintenance Mode" and run it for a few minutes. Second, it monitors when gas has been added to the tank. If the tank has not been filled for a year, it will initiate "Fuel Maintenance Mode". This forces you to burn through the remaining gas in the tank and add more. (We've hit both many times in my wife's 2016 Volt - as we generally use it for local driving and take the Tesla for road trips. The Volts 40-50 mile EV range almost always covers her daily driving.) There is also a third situation for oil changes. The oil monitor is based both on usage and time. Even if the ICE is hardly used, it wants an oil change every two years.

AFAIK, these features were in the earliest Gen 1 Volts from the start, and not software updated after the fact.
I appreciate the data - I never owned a Volt but had several co-workers that did - it was an amazing vehicle…and a "true" hybrid.

if our Cayenne had like 70 miles of range - I could see the ICE motor only running for high-demand or 2-3 times a year, and during road trips.

my main point is that hybrids with eV only mode at so effective and daily usage fits so well into 30-50 miles that you literally will have gas go bad vs. consumed if you get just using the battery - and with a. good hybrid it's so easy to not use the battery that it's kinda amazing how little fuel you actually use.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-26-2024 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2024, 03:42 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 426 Likes on 290 Posts

I appreciate the data - I never owned a Bolt but had several co-workers that did - it was an amazing vehicle…and a "true" hybrid.

if our Cayenne had like 70 miles of range - I could see the ICE motor only running for high-demand or 2-3 times a year, and during road trips.

my main point is that hybrids with eV only mode at so effective and daily usage fits so well into 30-50 miles that you literally will have gas go bad vs. consumed if you get just using the battery - and with a. good hybrid it's so easy to not use the battery that it's kinda amazing how little fuel you actually use.
The Voltec drivetrain is pretty nicely designed - especially in the Gen 2 (2016+) Volt. It is basically "EV first". The two electric motor/generators and the ICE are integrated via some clutches and a planetary gearbox (gen 1) or two (gen 2). You get full performance, both in acceleration and top speed, in EV mode. The ICE only runs when the traction pack has been depleted. Or if you use "hold" or "mountain" mode. This seems to be at odds with how many other PHEVs are designed - where the electric motors are more of an "assist", than the primary propulsion.

When new I could eke out ~14.4 kWh from the traction pack before the ICE would start assisting. Now after almost 9 years and 77k miles, it has degraded to somewhere in the 13 kWh range. I agree that another few kWh of battery pack to get it in the 60-70 mile EV range (when new) would be about perfect.

My only real complaint with the Volt is that is a bit small inside - especially the rear seating. And shares a lot of Cruze bits and pieces. Certainly not a high end ride.
Old 07-29-2024, 10:16 PM
Jose Head
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Pete
Wow… what a thoroughly excellent explanation of the eHybrid and how it works. I really appreciate it and how quickly you responded. Thanks!

I like the idea of a hybrid - always have. My wife is a bit on the fence about it.
Your wife will love it. I've just ordered my wife her 3rd Cayenne hybrid. The last one (Turbo S) she put about 6000 miles using 4 tanks of gas. She hates filling cars with gas and is looking forward to the new one.

Last edited by Jose Head; 07-29-2024 at 10:19 PM.
daveo4porsche (07-29-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 01:00 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts

Have filled up my car only 3-4 times since purchase in May...have a wired Level 2 charger Wallbox at home x2 so can charge my hybrid and wife's Taycan CT4 easily and without any issues. Keeping the car charged I can get 45-50 miles on e power alone at about $3-4 in 2.5 hrs at home...basically charge at night and set pre-heat fror when I am ready to go in the morning and car is charged and ready with about 350+ miles in the tank. Can get to work fully on a charge and if they ever set up the two charge point chargers at work could possiby go to work and back on e power for the 3 days I work from the office currently. Fingers crossed ont hat one.

Drive in e-hybrid mode alot but now have driven a lot more in sport plus mode as it charges the battery the most efficiently and quickly especially on my way out of my neighborhood for 10-12 miles which is more 2 lane suburb/rural till I get to the hightway/interstet into work for the rest of the 32 mile commute. Then e hybrid or e power all the way to work and still have had about 20-30 miles e power to use on the way back home. Sport plus does recharge the battery while driving more than Sport mode and I have put 10-18 miles back on the battery during a trip driving round trip so gas mileage does benefit I think. So far as said I've filled up the car about 4 times in 2800 miles on the odometer since delivery end of May and am plesantly pleased so far and satisfied with my purchase. Only thing I think I would want would be maybe the Turbo e hybrid....which I deferred for my S e hybrid Coupe....but at that point my wonder is how much power does one really need! . For now tho the S-e Hybrid does the trick.
The following 3 users liked this post by mdrobc1213:
daveo4porsche (08-11-2024), MAXFPS (08-13-2024), Needsdecaf (08-12-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 07:00 PM
touringGT3
Pro

Received 297 Likes on 161 Posts

when doing road trips - is a perfect example of not being plugged in - since I don't typically charge my Hybrid while road tripping - we'll go days with out plugging it while traveling - and the car will just be an ICE vehicle during these trips - it still is a hybrid and Porsche's excellent energy management will still "find" battery power from deceleration and some some excess ICE power and it will still toggle between ICE motor on/off - but the car does not require you to plug it in.

during these road trips you spend most of your time bouncing off "zero" percent battery with the car never really getting the battery power all that high in terms of charge - but it doesn't matter - when I know I'm going to be steady state for a while (120 miles straight road at 70 mph in eastern Oregon I'll toggle to eCharge and bring the battery up to 80/90 %) this is great for when you finish the 120 mile segment and end up in Bend Oregon tooling around town in eMode quiet, and stealth like with the ICE motor "off" since you charged the battery from the previous non-stop highway segment.

it "just works" and you can ignore the fact that it's a hybrid.
I've done multiple 400+ mile trips with my 2024 Cayenne S EH but only got up to 80% max charge on eCharge while highway driving so I assume this is the max charge possible when not plugged in? I assume there is no more benefit running eCharge at 80% so I would switch it to eAuto at that point.
Old 08-11-2024, 07:36 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by touringGT3
I've done multiple 400+ mile trips with my 2024 Cayenne S EH but only got up to 80% max charge on eCharge while highway driving so I assume this is the max charge possible when not plugged in? I assume there is no more benefit running eCharge at 80% so I would switch it to eAuto at that point.
correct - I read somewhere via echarge it wil lonly charge to 80% - this is so the car has buffer to both charge and discharge the battery for various efficiency purposes÷
Old 08-11-2024, 07:56 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,386 Posts

correct - I read somewhere via echarge it wil lonly charge to 80% - this is so the car has buffer to both charge and discharge the battery for various efficiency purposes÷
Here’s that reference from Porsche; excerpt below:

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/pres...rformance.html

E-Charge mode for dynamic charging of the vehicle now also works more efficiently. When the new Cayenne is driving in built-up areas and at speeds of less than 55 km/h, the drive system operates in hybrid mode – the combustion engine and the electric motor share the workload. In this situation, the vehicle maintains a constant charge level. Out of town, the internal combustion engine takes over completely while simultaneously building up the electric range. It is able to charge the battery to a maximum charge level of 80 per cent.”
The following 3 users liked this post by Schnave:
daveo4porsche (08-12-2024), MAXFPS (08-13-2024), Needsdecaf (08-12-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 09:17 PM
Thehighest
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cable

I’m waiting to take delivery of the CS e hybrid coupe that is in the process of going through customs. My electrician will be out this week. What is the length of the cable that comes with the car? Thanks.
Old 08-11-2024, 11:47 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thehighest
I’m waiting to take delivery of the CS e hybrid coupe that is in the process of going through customs. My electrician will be out this week. What is the length of the cable that comes with the car? Thanks.
if you are receiving a PMC+ (Porsche Mobile Charger+) the length is 15ft - if you are receiving PMCC (Porsche Mobile Charger Connect) the length is 25ft (PMCC is included with Turbos, but is a $1120 option for other Prosche model trim levels sometimes)…

but both the PMC+/PMCC are currently under recall for a new power supply cable in North America to avoid overheating…but I have no idea what Porsche is doing for new customers (for some Taycan customers they received a non-porsche unit or cash back to purchase their own EVSE).

there is some significant majority population of Taycan Owners where conventional wisdom is the the Porsche EV chargers are mostly an awful choice and. you're better off with a non-porsche solution…many Taycan owners have abandoned the Prosche EVSE's and are much happier for it…

extensive and gory details about the Taycan's community experience 4+ year odyssey with the PMC+/PMCC can be found here…
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...cc-pwcc.13886/

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...-charging.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...call-apb6.html

HINT: for Hybrid's and full eV's these chargers are not in fact chargers - they are glorified extension cords to provide raw AC power to the vehicle's on board charger that actually charges the battery - so it doesn't honestly matter which EV charger (called an EVSE) - EVSE's do not charge anything they simply provide a raw power source for onboard electronics to actually charge the battery - it's always been this way and is why _ANY_ EVSE can charge _ANY_ EV or PHEV in North America - unless of course your EVSE overheats and melts the electrical infrastructure which Porsche's is known to do (hence the recall). This is one clear place where the "Porsche Tax" makes no sense and delivers no value what so ever, and actually an inferior product with numerous problem, and there are better higher quality and cheaper alternatives that are far less problematic.

_IF_ you do use the Porsche provided EVSE please make sure to follow their explicit recommendation to install an industrial grade NEMA 14-50/6-50 socket - otherwise you run the risk of long term thermal stress causing the lower quality $12 NEMA sockets to melt and eventually fail…see Porsche's own technical bulletin below for their home install recommendation/requirements for North America - it's best to follow their advice.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...22530-0001.pdf

also most of the non-Porsche EVSE's that one might consider come with 25ft cords…but do your research.

YMMV

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-12-2024 at 01:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
MAXFPS (08-13-2024), Thehighest (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 10:51 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 590 Posts

if you are receiving a PMC+ (Porsche Mobile Charger+) the length is 15ft - if you are receiving PMCC (Porsche Mobile Charger Connect) the length is 25ft (PMCC is included with Turbos, but is a $1120 option for other Prosche model trim levels sometimes)…

but both the PMC+/PMCC are currently under recall for a new power supply cable in North America to avoid overheating…but I have no idea what Porsche is doing for new customers (for some Taycan customers they received a non-porsche unit or cash back to purchase their own EVSE).

there is some significant majority of Taycan Owners where conventional wisdom is the the Porsche EV chargers are mostly an awful choice and. you're better off with a non-porsche solution…many Taycan owners have abandoned the Prosche EVSE's and are much happier for it…

extensive and gory details about the Taycan's community experience with the PMC+/PMCC can be found here…
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...cc-pwcc.13886/

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...-charging.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...call-apb6.html

HINT: for Hybrid's and full eV's these chargers are not in fact chargers - they are glorified extension cords to provide raw AC power to the vehicle's on board charger that actually charges the battery - so it doesn't honestly matter which EV charger (called an EVSE) - unless of course your EVSE overheats and melts the electrical infrastructure which Porsche's is known to do (hence the recall). This is one clear place where the "Porsche Tax" makes no sense and delivery no value what so ever, and actually an inferior product with numerous problem, and there aer better higher quality and cheaper alternatives that are far less problematic.

_IF_ you do use the Porsche provided EVSE please make sure to follow their explicit recommendation to install an industrial grade NEMA 14-50/6-50 socket - otherwise you run the risk of long term thermal stress causing the lower quality $12 NEMA sockets to melt and eventually fail…see Porsche's own technical bulletin below for their home install recommendation/requirements for North America - it's best to follow their advice.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...22530-0001.pdf

also most of the non-Porsche EVSE's that one might consider come with 25ft cords…but do your research.

YMMV
Very good advice as usual. I travelled this weekend and used the Porsche EVSE that I got with my Cayenne e-hybrid. It was pretty hot after use.
Old 08-12-2024, 12:03 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
Very good advice as usual. I travelled this weekend and used the Porsche EVSE that I got with my Cayenne e-hybrid. It was pretty hot after use.
should you want - there are better, cheaper, smaller and lighter _MOBILE_ EVSE's vs. the two bulky Porsche models - a decent EV road warrior kit can be had for less than $400 - and the cheaper/better units don't run nearly as hot as the Porsche units…

these days my thinking is as follows:
  • a good wall mounted unit for home - preferably 60/80/100 amp breaker - but 40/50 amp breaker is acceptable
  • _IF_ you feel the need to carry an EV charger (EVSE) with you there are several great small/light/portable units that are cheaper/better than the porsche units
  • mobile EVSE's used to be a thing 2011-2020 - but these days there are so many more public/commerical EVSE's that honestly the need to carry your own mobile EVSE with you is becoming an un-necessary redundancy - but if you must have your EVSE with you when away form home then I'd optimize for space and get a smaller and lighter unit.
the top 5 choices for a home/wall mounted EVSE are (in random order to avoid bias) - all of these units are $800 or less (sometimes much less)
  • Porsche Wall Charger Connect - adjustable amps - any breaker size - J-1772 - Porsche TAX this unit is $1500'ish -but lacks the problems of the mobile PMC+/PMCC - so it's "on the list" as an acceptable EVSE
  • ChargePointFlex - adjustable amps - any breaker size up to 70 amps - J-1772 or NACS
  • Wallbox - adjustable amps - any breaker size up to 60 amps - J-1772
  • Tesla Universal Wall Charger - adjustable amps - any breaker size up to 60 amps - J-1772 and NACS
  • Enphase/Clippercreek - multiple "versions" - fixed breaker size - but they sell different units for each possible breaker size - J-1772

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-12-2024 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2024, 06:27 PM
CayenneTE1510
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default MY24 TEH mobile charger

This is the mobile charger which came with MY24 TEH:

The following 2 users liked this post by CayenneTE1510:
daveo4porsche (08-12-2024), MAXFPS (08-13-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 07:30 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CayenneTE1510
This is the mobile charger which came with MY24 TEH:

Posrche Universal Charger - very similar to the previous Porsche Mobile Charger+ - the PMCC has a LCD screen and Wifi - the Porsche Universal charger is a simple EVSE no fancy features.

the back of the unit clearly labels it as a 9.6 kW unit for 40 amps - this is expected and normal.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
CayenneTE1510 (08-13-2024), MAXFPS (08-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Another E-hybrid question…