Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne S Softronic or Cobb?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
Alnitak
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2019 Cayenne S Softronic or Cobb?

Just got a (new to me) 2019 Cayenne S, and have been enjoying it in Sport mode (air suspension), both in auto and manual (paddle) shift. I have been reading about the difference in performance with one of the ECU flash options...seems great! Certainly have read a number of threads about Softronic vs. Cobb vs. APR. However, most all of those threads, here and on other forums, seem to involve higher end models, whether 911's, or Cayenne Turbo, GTS, etc. In many of them, they recommend doing a Custom flash based on the specific car, mods, some weeks/months of learning data, etc.

So, my question is for the 2019 S version, I am not sure I need the nth degree of a "map" that pushes the limits of what an S can provide. I will never take the Cayenne on a track, and don't even have the Chrono option. I will probably never mod the car in any significant way. I really like the DIY option to revert the ECU to factory setting, although my factory warranty is expired (though only 34k miles) and currently operating under a 6-year extended warranty. So, not sure there really is a need to revert to OEM settings, but always having to take it to an APR shop for any changes doesn't really appeal to me.

I've also read that the Softronic is a little more aggressive in the settings than Cobb, and that Cobb has been "turned down" over the years to a more limited option set and more conservative settings. But do I really need the "performance" settings of the Softronic, if I don't have Chrono or intend to "track" the car? Would I just find myself leaving it on, say, level 5-7 of the Sport mode? If so, does it then make sense to just get the Cobb Accessport?

I am a novice Porsche owner, coming from a lifted (only 3") Jeep Overland (FIPK , hi-flo cat, 3" exhaust Y-pipe back) for 22 years, so trying to come up to speed on mods and which ones really stand out. Appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Last edited by Alnitak; Yesterday at 11:42 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
runbuh
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Alnitak
Just got a (new to me) 2019 Cayenne S, and have been enjoying it in Sport mode (air suspension), both in auto and manual (paddle) shift. I have been reading about the difference in performance with one of the ECU flash options...seems great! Certainly have read a number of threads about Softronic vs. Cobb vs. APR. However, most all of those threads, here and on other forums, seem to involve higher end models, whether 911's, or Cayenne Turbo, GTS, etc. In many of them, they recommend doing a Custom flash based on the specific car, mods, some weeks/months of learning data, etc.

So, my question is for the 2019 S version, I am not sure I need the nth degree of a "map" that pushes the limits of what an S can provide. I will never take the Cayenne on a track, and don't even have the Chrono option. I will probably never mod the car in any significant way. I really like the DIY option to revert the ECU to factory setting, although my factory warranty is expired (though only 34k miles) and currently operating under a 6-year extended warranty. So, not sure there really is a need to revert to OEM settings, but always having to take it to an APR shop for any changes doesn't really appeal to me.

I've also read that the Softronic is a little more aggressive in the settings than Cobb, and that Cobb has been "turned down" over the years to a more limited option set and more conservative settings. But do I really need the "performance" settings of the Softronic, if I don't have Chrono or intend to "track" the car? Would I just find myself leaving it on, say, level 5-7 of the Sport mode? If so, does it then make sense to just get the Cobb Accessport?

I am a novice Porsche owner, coming from a lifted (only 3") Jeep Overland (FIPK , hi-flo cat, 3" exhaust Y-pipe back) for 22 years, so trying to come up to speed on mods and which ones really stand out. Appreciate the advice. Thanks.
Talk to Bill at GAS. They have everything from wild to mild supporting the Audi 2.9L TT that's currently nestled in your engine bay.
https://garageautosports.com/blogs/tuning

Last edited by runbuh; Yesterday at 02:16 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM
Alnitak
Track Day

Originally Posted by runbuh
Talk to Bill at GAS. They have everything from wild to mild supporting the Audi 2.9L TT that's currently nestled in your engine bay.
https://garageautosports.com/blogs/tuning
Thanks. I looked at their website and couldn't find anything for a 2019 Porsche Cayenne S, though I did find some Audi products.

I went back and looked at APR again, and now see they have their Ultralink, which allows you to buy and install various configurations (maps?) at home without going to the shop. I assume that also allows one to revert back to OEM specs, and then reinstall the build you purchased from, say, your "library"? I am looking at the Stage 1 93 (octane, if I understand correctly). However, is this different than what Cobb and Softronic offer with the capability to tweak certain parameters, such as the nine levels of Sport and Performance? Is the APR software a predetermined configuration, and if you want to tweak it you have to spend another $899 for a different map? Also, do any of three options mentioned allow for programming a "performance start" like that found in the Chrono package?

Sorry for all the questions, but in trying to read and absorb all the posts and manufacturers' websites, I think I'm missing some fundamental ideas, or the questions just aren't answered. For example, for the APR Ultralink, I see no mention of having to buy a 15A or more battery to support the drain of downloading and installing the flash, which is a key point for the Cobb Accessport. Will continue to research, running out of posts to review. May just take a drive to the local APR shop and ask the tech there.

Last edited by Alnitak; Yesterday at 08:25 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM
runbuh
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Alnitak
Thanks. I looked at their website and couldn't find anything for a 2019 Porsche Cayenne S, though I did find some Audi products.

I went back and looked at APR again, and now see they have their Ultralink, which allows you to buy and install various configurations (maps?) at home without going to the shop. I assume that also allows one to revert back to OEM specs, and then reinstall the build you purchased from, say, your "library"? I am looking at the Stage 1 93 (octane, if I understand correctly). However, is this different than what Cobb and Softronic offer with the capability to tweak certain parameters, such as the nine levels of Sport and Performance? Is the APR software a predetermined configuration, and if you want to tweak it you have to spend another $899 for a different map? Also, do any of three options mentioned allow for programming a "performance start" like that found in the Chrono package?

Sorry for all the questions, but in trying to read and absorb all the posts and manufacturers' websites, I think I'm missing some fundamental ideas, or the questions just aren't answered. For example, for the APR Ultralink, I see no mention of having to buy a 15A or more battery to support the drain of downloading and installing the flash, which is a key point for the Cobb Accessport. Will continue to research, running out of posts to review. May just take a drive to the local APR shop and ask the tech there.
Talk to Bill, he can explain everything (I'm too ignorant). But you do get to load the firmware yourself, back up/restore your stock firmware at time you want, etc.
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 147 Posts

APR all day.

You can do a lot of their stuff remotely now apparently but it's been set ti ans forget it for me, it's been great. You don't need to reset for an extended warranty from a warrwnty company and you won't want to anyways.

Last edited by icemang; Yesterday at 10:23 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM
Alnitak
Track Day

Originally Posted by icemang
APR all day.

You can do a lot of their stuff remotely now apparently but it's been set ti ans forget it for me, it's been great. You don't need to reset for an extended warranty from a warrwnty company and you won't want to anyways.
Thanks! I appreciate the response on APR, and answering the warranty question. So when you get a tune up from the dealer, the new settings of APR don't mess up them getting certain parameters within "factory spec"? Funny, just tonight I met a friend, car collector guy, and his R8 had a stage 1 tune....loves it!
I probably will just go with the APR, since 1) I don't have really any experience to even know what things to change and by how much, and 2) the APR is the cheaper alternative. I'll get the shop to do the first one, and buy the Ultralink later if needed.

Appreciate all the responses, advice and help!

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne S Softronic or Cobb?