Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How to keep my 2024 DRL's always on??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2024, 05:22 PM
AaronGTS
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Default How to keep my 2024 DRL's always on??

Does anyone know if it's possible to JUST keep the 2024 Cayenne LED DRL's on at will? I want to keep it on at dusk sometimes and it keeps auto turning the headlights, so annoying.

Old 07-13-2024, 09:12 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 569 Posts

You can just switch them to "Off" during dusk and they'll come on. Or there should be a "late" headlight switch on in the settings
Old 07-16-2024, 07:06 PM
AaronGTS
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Shuga
You can just switch them to "Off" during dusk and they'll come on. Or there should be a "late" headlight switch on in the settings
Unfortunately not, I just got back from the dealer. New on 2024 you have ZERO control of the daytime running lamps. Not even the sensitivity. You can only turn them off or leave them on AUTO. It's new US regulations.
Old 07-16-2024, 07:34 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronGTS
Unfortunately not, I just got back from the dealer. New on 2024 you have ZERO control of the daytime running lamps. Not even the sensitivity. You can only turn them off or leave them on AUTO. It's new US regulations.
In Canada DRLs turn on as soon as you start the car and then stay on until dusk at which point the headlights automatically turn on. Tail lights are on full time as well. Just wondering though, why does it bother you that the headlights turn on at dusk?

Last edited by kayjh; 07-16-2024 at 07:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Woofman (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 01:05 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 294 Posts

the headlight regulations are tight now. for a 2024 you can only go like 100 ft under 5mph w headlights off. then they come on, unless you stop, turn them on, then off again. then u get another 100ft.
Old 07-17-2024, 02:46 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm sure there is coding that could be done. Someone in Russia could figure it out lol
Old 07-17-2024, 03:09 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shuga
I'm sure there is coding that could be done. Someone in Russia could figure it out lol
it'd be nice, it was annoying. we had some days where we were supposed to be able to see the northern lights in May. We went to this large park in the area where everyone had gathered. everyone was driving w lights off, or just running lights. i felt pretty dumb in a new porsche blinding everyone.

I admit it is really only occasionally that you would want to drive w/o headlights, but there are occasional times. also, say you have a long driveway and there are bedroom windows on the front side of your house, you might want to turn your lights off as your pulling up if it is late as to not wake people up. not an option the way it is now.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 07-17-2024 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2024, 03:24 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,373 Posts

^^^ Also an issue at drive-through Christmas light displays. After one embarrassing year with the Cayenne, we now take another vehicle. It doesn’t have bureaucratic restrictions on the way I wish to operate my vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
Carguy1234 (07-19-2024), Palantir (07-18-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 03:27 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
it'd be nice, it was annoying. we had some days where we were supposed to be able to see the northern lights in May. We went to this large park in the area where everyone had gathered. everyone was driving w lights off, or just running lights. i felt pretty dumb in a new porsche blinding everyone.

I admit it is really only occasionally that you would want to drive w/o headlights, but there are occasional times. also, say you have a long driveway and there are bedroom windows on the front side of your house, you might want to turn your lights off as your pulling up if it is late as to not wake people up. not an option the way it is now.
*The drive through Christmas lights shows and every gets mad.* I know what you mean... People with Hellcat's have a way of cutting of the taillights. I'm sure there is a way...
Old 07-17-2024, 03:27 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnave
^^^ Also an issue at drive-through Christmas light displays. After one embarrassing year with the Cayenne, we now take another vehicle. It doesn’t have bureaucratic restrictions on the way I wish to operate my vehicle.
LMAOOO I was typing the EXACT same thing
Old 07-17-2024, 07:32 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 543 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave
Some organized XMAS light displays have gone pedestrian-only and/or to transporting viewers in a "hay ride" sort of way. It seems that pedestrians including children haven't fared very well when around distracted drivers who have their headlights off while rubber-necking at Christmas lights which is complicated by some drivers having imbibed way too much "Christmas cheer". Google to find news articles and attorney websites regarding the problem.

Old 07-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woofman
Some organized XMAS light displays have gone pedestrian-only and/or to transporting viewers in a "hay ride" sort of way. It seems that pedestrians including children haven't fared very well when around distracted drivers who have their headlights off while rubber-necking at Christmas lights which is complicated by some drivers having imbibed way too much "Christmas cheer". Google to find news articles and attorney websites regarding the problem.
They still do it every year in NY. I actually prefer walking though looking at X mas lights, I feel it brings more spirt.
Old 07-18-2024, 12:03 PM
kayjh
Drifting

I wonder how many people would drive around with only their DRLs or no headlights on at night if the regulations allowed? It seems to me that it is minor inconvenience to not be able to drive by Xmas lights without your headlights on compared to the accidents that occur by people being able to drive at night without headlights on.

In Canada, DRL regulations were not well thought out from the beginning. DRLs were on when the car was moving, but the tail lights were not. But, at night the instrument panel lights automatically came on regardless of the fact the main headlights were not switched on. So drivers would drive with DRLs on (weak headlights) thinking their main headlights were on and would not have taillights on.

This was fixed in the last year or so. Now, instrument panel lights will not turn on unless the main headlights are on. DRLs are accompanied by tail lights. So, cars are properly lit Both front and rear. oddly, we still enjoy Christmas lights and the Northern Lights. For the Northern lights, we just drive out of the city and park on a rural road and shut the car off.

My 2021 model year Cayenne DRLs come on as soon as I start the car as do etc tail lights. The main headlights come on at dusk as do the instrument panel lights. I never give it a thought.

Last edited by kayjh; 07-18-2024 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2024, 03:03 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

^^^regulation lover
The following users liked this post:
Carguy1234 (07-19-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 03:22 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
^^^regulation lover
I know right?? We should get rid of most regulation; speed limits, stop signs, traffic signals, seat belts ...

Quick Reply: How to keep my 2024 DRL's always on??