Sponsored By:

Lithium Battery Repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 08:27 AM
Kendo67
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Lithium Battery Repair

Just had a call from the MD to tell me that my battery needs replaced at considerable cost .

Car stiill starts and drives fine and has done so in the three weeks that the warning has been displayed , I have no issues with stripping the battery to have the BMS circuit board reset so has anyone in the UK had theirs done , if so by who ?

TIA - Kenny

Last edited by Kendo67; 07-11-2024 at 08:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ray1628 (07-13-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 12:21 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Kendo67
Just had a call from the MD to tell me that my battery needs replaced at considerable cost .

Car stiill starts and drives fine and has done so in the three weeks that the warning has been displayed , I have no issues with stripping the battery to have the BMS circuit board reset so has anyone in the UK had theirs done , if so by who ?

TIA - Kenny
I know you are in Scotland and this board is heavily populated by US people, but what is a MD?

Regarding the battery, check this thread for the aftermarket AGM conversion. No point in messing around with the Lithium if it's several years old by now.
Old 07-11-2024, 01:16 PM
Kendo67
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3Series
I know you are in Scotland and this board is heavily populated by US people, but what is a MD?

Regarding the battery, check this thread for the aftermarket AGM conversion. No point in messing around with the Lithium if it's several years old by now.
MD = Main dealer.

Vehicle still under their approved used scheme so fitting an aftermarket AGM conversion would invalidate the electrical side of any claims I may make in the future.

The actual battery is fine as it is showing 98% + on the AG battery monitor and showing fully charged on my CTEK maintainer, it is the BMS on top of the battery that is faulty and that is what needs reprogramming to remove the Low Battery fault light.

Long story short , car was left at the MD for a repair for four weeks , it wasn't started for the first three weeks so I get the car back and within three days I now have a battery fault and am expected to fork out for the repair.

K

Last edited by Kendo67; 07-11-2024 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2024, 07:04 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

MD = Main dealer.

Vehicle still under their approved used scheme so fitting an aftermarket AGM conversion would invalidate the electrical side of any claims I may make in the future.

The actual battery is fine as it is showing 98% + on the AG battery monitor and showing fully charged on my CTEK maintainer, it is the BMS on top of the battery that is faulty and that is what needs reprogramming to remove the Low Battery fault light.

Long story short , car was left at the MD for a repair for four weeks , it wasn't started for the first three weeks so I get the car back and within three days I now have a battery fault and am expected to fork out for the repair.

K
Ok, I'm not following your entire line of thought. If the car is under warranty and the battery is good, wouldn't the dealer take are of the issue for free?
In the USA, the dealer needs to prove the modification is the source of the problem to cancel a warranty claim. Small risk to change to an AGM battery, its just power. But everything is a risk in life.
Old 07-11-2024, 07:35 PM
Kendo67
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3Series
Ok, I'm not following your entire line of thought. If the car is under warranty and the battery is good, wouldn't the dealer take are of the issue for free?
In the USA, the dealer needs to prove the modification is the source of the problem to cancel a warranty claim. Small risk to change to an AGM battery, its just power. But everything is a risk in life.
As the vehicle is now five years old the battery is classed as a consumable , which is not covered under the extended warranty.

The fault lies with the software which is an integral part of the battery but the dealer wont split the battery to repair it , which I understand.

K
Old 07-11-2024, 08:01 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,386 Posts

These guys are located in the UK and offer repair service for the LFP battery. They even offer free pickup and delivery or bring it to them for while-you-wait service:

Pelican Diagnostics
Padley Farm, Drove Ln, Sleaford NG34 8JQ, United Kingdom

https://pelicandiagnostics.uk/produc...attery-repair/

Last edited by Schnave; 07-11-2024 at 08:02 PM.
i386_64 (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 05:27 AM
Kendo67
Advanced

Originally Posted by Schnave
These guys are located in the UK and offer repair service for the LFP battery. They even offer free pickup and delivery or bring it to them for while-you-wait service:

Pelican Diagnostics
I had a look at their place yesterday online and it does looks like an option , it is however a 500+ mile round trip if I am taking the vehicle to them and waiting for it.

I am picking the car up on Monday but am going to be firm with dealer as if they hadn't left a vehicle which has known battery issues for three weeks unatended then I wouldn't be in the situation I am now , is it a coincidence ?? , bearing in mind if I leave it for any more than a week it gets put on the CTEK.

I am not nieve around vehicles so I am not expecting them to cover the entire cost as the battery five years old and a consumable after all but a "goodwill gesture" IMHO should be offered , either from the dealer or Porsche.

We will see what happens on Monday.

K

Old 07-12-2024, 05:50 PM
don16
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a look at their place yesterday online and it does looks like an option , it is however a 500+ mile round trip if I am taking the vehicle to them and waiting for it.

I am picking the car up on Monday but am going to be firm with dealer as if they hadn't left a vehicle which has known battery issues for three weeks unatended then I wouldn't be in the situation I am now , is it a coincidence ?? , bearing in mind if I leave it for any more than a week it gets put on the CTEK.

I am not nieve around vehicles so I am not expecting them to cover the entire cost as the battery five years old and a consumable after all but a "goodwill gesture" IMHO should be offered , either from the dealer or Porsche.

K
Maybe they will look after you, some dealers do some don't. I will say this, given the labour rate in the UK is around £250 an hour, I expect it would be beneficial to drive that 500miles and stay over the night.
Old 07-12-2024, 06:06 PM
retom
Pro

Received 445 Likes on 263 Posts

K
In fact, it's not the dealer's decision but Porsche's. The dealer will do what Porsche pays him for, so he first has to convince them to do the repair.
If necessary, I would escalate the claim to Porsche headquarters in your country. Especially since the problem with this battery is very common and for this reason Porsche switched to AGM batteries in new models.
Old 07-12-2024, 06:57 PM
Kendo67
Advanced

Originally Posted by retom
If necessary, I would escalate the claim to Porsche headquarters in your country. Especially since the problem with this battery is very common and for this reason Porsche switched to AGM batteries in new models.
This is my plan if , on Monday , it is an absolute no to replacing the battery outright under the extended warranty (which I very much doubt due to its age) or a partial contribution to the overall cost , at the end of the day the dealer leaving the vehicle un opened or started for three weeks (according to the Conected App) probably contributed to its premature electronic demise.

K
Old 07-15-2024, 10:54 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Contact kingstone here on Rennlist. He has a kit to convert the battery to an AGM that is readily available and a lot mor wallet friendly.
Old 07-15-2024, 11:04 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Originally Posted by craig001
Contact kingstone here on Rennlist. He has a kit to convert the battery to an AGM that is readily available and a lot mor wallet friendly.
Good idea; that’s what I did. However, OP states:
. . . so fitting an aftermarket AGM conversion would invalidate the electrical side of any claims I may make in the future. . .

Last edited by Schnave; 07-15-2024 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2024, 02:32 PM
Kendo67
Advanced

Just an update to my previous posts :

Contacted Pelican Diagnostics today and if i take the battery board to him it can be done while i wait for £150 so if the dealer doesn`t come across with a sensible option tomorrow it looks like a 550 mile round trip.

K
Old 07-18-2024, 01:48 PM
Kendo67
Advanced

Further update ,

Just found out that the battery is being replaced under warranty , so big thumbs up for Porsche Glasgow for fighting my corner

Saves me £1500 or a 550 mile round trip to have the module repaired and its something else not to worry about.

Money saved will get me new rubber and the wheels powder coated as the Diamond cut finish is a no no due to the amount of salt thrown on the UK roads in the winter.

K

Last edited by Kendo67; 07-18-2024 at 02:00 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kendo67:
ArcticFox (07-18-2024), dalves11 (07-19-2024), function12 (07-22-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 04:33 PM
Kendo67
Advanced

Just back from a nine day holiday and the new Lithium battery that was replaced less than four weeks ago at dealers and used daily until the 17/08 is completely and utterly flat , i thought that the key fob battery was flat so used the key blade to enter the vehicle but there is absolutely no power in the vehicle.

Pi$$ed off is an understatement and have now lost all faith in the vehicle , the faith was waning due to the amount of time it has been in the dealers over the last year but thought the replacement battery would be the end of my woes but its just a gift that keeps giving large amounts of disappointment.

I paid a shed load of hard earned cash to drive a nice car not to have it languishing in the dealers or to wonder (worry) whats the next inconvenience that is going to rear its ugly head.

So its back onto the phone to the dealers first thing tomorrow morning.

Just dont need this grief in my life at the moment.

Evening rant over.

K

Last edited by Kendo67; 08-27-2024 at 04:34 PM.
i386_64 (08-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Lithium Battery Repair