2023 CPO Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 04:26 PM
shshsh1980
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smk7
Hi team,

I have been reading the forum for advice for years and am posting now for help with a purchase decision on a 2023 CPO GTS/Turbo. I've been scouring the market nationally for a build that works well for us, and this seems to be the best example I can find of heavily optioned without too many miles and a nice long CPO warranty.

2023 CPO Turbo

I just wanted to get people's thoughts on this build, the asking price, the CarFax history, etc. I don't love that someone drove it 17,000 miles in 11 months but figure it's still light mileage-wise and has warranty through 2029. I find it somewhat suspicious that they've had it up for sale since Jan 2024. I imagine a PPI would be important to do? Do I ask the dealership to do that or ask them if I can pay for an independent shop to do it? Thanks for the advice on a first time Cayenne purchase!
Not a big fan of the beige interior though. Otherwise its loaded to its gills. Did you end up purchasing?
Old 07-18-2024, 10:42 AM
Carguy1234
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 12 Posts

That's a nicely optioned turbo! I just purchased my GTS and absolutely love it, but often wish I would've waited to find a turbo. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Personally the miles wouldn't concern me, as they are within the average range. With that one being a CPO there still is plenty of warranty left to give you peace of mind with any mechanical issues also.
The fact that the dealer pointed out and is replacing the lettering on the rear is fairly impressive, and makes me feel that they are confident in the condition of the vehicle and have done a thorough inspection.
If it were me the only item left would be their asking price, I would absolutely try to get them closer to the $115k. During my search I did notice that many dealers have been sitting on their inventory for several months, and are willing to lower their price. I think the car market has changed recently with interest rates and inflation catching up with consumers and the dealers will need to adjust their prices to move older inventory.
Good luck, I hope you get it!

Last edited by Carguy1234; 07-18-2024 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-19-2024, 04:49 PM
smk7
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes?

Hi team, I could use some ongoing advice. They weren't willing to budge on the price very much at all ($500), but I still felt that it was competitively priced. I put a (refundable) deposit down and got a PPI done this morning at a shop recommended by folks at the local PCA.

Only issue the PPI revealed was front brakes pads at 30-50%, and rear brake pads at 50%. The CPO inspection report the dealer sent me showed all pads at 90%. This is obviously a huge discrepancy, and the CPO sheet recommends pads to be changed if < 50%. I spoke to the PPI shop, and they said there is no way the pads are at 90%.

The dealership then had their service department look at it again and sent me photos (below) of the brake pads. I admittedly don't know how to interpret these, but the dealership is telling me the PPI shop is totally wrong based on these photos and is not going to change the pads since they are fine. I'm particularly nervous since this car has PCCBs, which I'm told cost $20-30K if they ever need to be replaced. I'm just not sure who to "believe" in this case, and there isn't another Porsche dealership < 2 hours away to get another opinion from. I thought folks on here may have experience looking at these photos to "prove" that the pads are fine (or not). I could just pay out of pocket to have the brakes changed prophylactically based on the PPI shop's measurements. Seems overkill but cheaper than accidentally letting the ceramic rotors get damaged. Appreciate the input!

Old 07-19-2024, 05:18 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Picture shows incorrect use of a feeler gage, intended to deceive you.

Green on a feeler gage has nothing to do with Porsche requirements for CPO.

They have you where they want you.

The only power in the deal you have is to walk.

This car should be sold with new tires and new pads/rotors all around.

Last edited by chassis; 07-19-2024 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2024, 05:21 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

I wouldn’t be so concerned with the relatively cheap pads, but the $5,000 (each!) rotors. They look like they’ve been used pretty hard. (Compare your rotors with my crack-free rotors, second picture below). Have the dealer use the special PCCB procedure to check the rotors.

High heat causes the carbon fibers to break free from the ceramic material. While you can’t directly measure heat cycles, you can measure the CQ Value, which measures fiber damage. Porsche uses an expensive tool ($7K) called VAS 6813, which is a rebranded Carbotec, manufactured by Proceq. More on the Carbotec here:
https://media.screeningeagle.com/***...glish_high.pdf

The PCCB hubs have three markings, spaced 120° apart. Each marking shows the CQ value measured at the factory and the minimum CQ value allowed. The values are separated by a center point used to align the measuring tool.

On my wheel, pictured below, you see it is marking #3, with a factory value of 51 and a replacement value of 39.

​​​​One page, below, from complete inspection procedure available here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...thread-31.html

The following users liked this post:
dalves11 (07-19-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 05:52 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
Picture shows incorrect use of a feeler gage, intended to deceive you.

Green on a feeler gage has nothing to do with Porsche requirements for CPO.

They have you where they want you.

The only power in the deal you have is to walk.

This car should be sold with new tires and new pads/rotors all around.
I don't think any dealer would put new PCC Rotors all the way around on a cpo.
Old 07-19-2024, 05:53 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carguy1234
That's a nicely optioned turbo! I just purchased my GTS and absolutely love it, but often wish I would've waited to find a turbo. I don't think you will be disappointed.
You have a Chalk GTS, I think you should be pretty happy haha
Old 07-19-2024, 06:30 PM
smk7
Cruisin'

Thanks, everyone. Seems like the pads should probably be fine in their current shape, but the concern is the rotors, which makes sense given the cost. I've reached out to the dealership to request Carbotec measurements for the rotors.
Old 07-19-2024, 06:46 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks, everyone. Seems like the pads should probably be fine in their current shape, but the concern is the rotors, which makes sense given the cost. I've reached out to the dealership to request Carbotec measurements for the rotors.
With them not budging on the price, I'd ask for new Rotors. It doesn't hurt to ask, I highly doubt they'll do it though.
Old 07-19-2024, 06:50 PM
smk7
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Shuga
With them not budging on the price, I'd ask for new Rotors. It doesn't hurt to ask, I highly doubt they'll do it though.
They tell me they've already lost their profit margin on the car as it is. I'll ask for the measurements and, if concerning, ask for rotors, but I also highly doubt they'll go for it if they need replacing. In that case, I'll probably just walk away.
Old 07-19-2024, 07:33 PM
downtroddengoat
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

They tell me they've already lost their profit margin on the car as it is. I'll ask for the measurements and, if concerning, ask for rotors, but I also highly doubt they'll go for it if they need replacing. In that case, I'll probably just walk away.
Bummer.

Don't know where you eventually got them to, but I have been looking at turbos and TGTs over the last number of months. There have been a number of Porsche Dealers that have said they can't negotiate the prices because they don't have the profit in the car to do that. This is for vehicles that are over priced by at least 10-15K from even other Porsche dealers. If true, I wonder how much they are overpaying now to keep (presumably) new cars going out the door. More than a couple have also been dumbfounded that I walked away and didn't chase them.

With interest rates and seeming slowing of the economy (i.e. the days on my A/R's are climbing), I wonder how many vehicles they are really moving now.
Old 07-19-2024, 07:49 PM
retom
Burning Brakes

Received 488 Likes on 293 Posts

I would be very careful with this car. Ceramic brakes are very resistant to wear, and their high wear may indicate either a high mileage of the car or the fact that the car was used very hard, possibly even on a race track.
The cost of replacing PCCB brakes (rotors and pads) as you know is well over $20k.
Additionally, if the car has been driven hard, the condition of the engine and transmission remains a question mark.
The following users liked this post:
Schnave (07-19-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 09:01 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by retom
I would be very careful with this car. Ceramic brakes are very resistant to wear, and their high wear may indicate either a high mileage of the car or the fact that the car was used very hard, possibly even on a race track.
The cost of replacing PCCB brakes (rotors and pads) as you know is well over $20k.
Additionally, if the car has been driven hard, the condition of the engine and transmission remains a question mark.
That's a good point, I think the past owner saw those rotors and knew the way he or she drove it and said "Let me trade it in sooner then later". I don't think it was tracked but driving just as hard in traffic is just as bad as a track.
Old 07-19-2024, 09:04 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

At this price point I would just buy new tbh.
Old 07-19-2024, 09:28 PM
smk7
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Shuga
At this price point I would just buy new tbh.

Thank you, ALL! I am learning a ton from everyone’s collective wisdom and am infinitely appreciative. I am trying to be as cautious as possible with all the useful advice here.

Dealership has offered to do Carbotec measurements. They said they would almost certainly NOT replace a rotor if any measurements were unsatisfactory, and they certainly understand me walking away at that point.

The story from the dealership is that this car was bought new from their dealership and from this particular salesman. First owner was a doctor who drove a ton for work and then decided he wanted something more efficient for commuting so traded it back in to them for an EQS (multi-brand dealership).

I favor a lightly used CPO since we drive about 30K/year, so the unlimited miles on the warranty is invaluable for us.

That being said, I’m continuing to scour the country, and I came across this CPO 2024 Cayenne S with only 1K miles for essentially the same price that is reasonably well equipped…but it’s not a fully loaded Turbo. I also don’t love the new interior. This 2023 GTS is also appealing - not quite as loaded as the Turbo in question but love the GTS sound and feel…and not as used as the Turbo. It’s tough because I’d like to just order new the way I want it specified, but with the crazy numbers of miles we drive, I’ve found it worthwhile scouring for a CPO even if it takes seemingly forever to find one the way I want. Same process I went through to find our Macan in 2020…ultimately successful but took forever.

I’m looking forward to seeing what the rotor measurements come back at as that may make the decision for me.

Last edited by smk7; 07-19-2024 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 2023 CPO Turbo