Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Should I take repurchase or settlement cash

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024 | 12:59 PM
iamvincent0530
4th Gear

Default Should I take repurchase or settlement cash

I've got a new 2024 Cayenne Dec last year (2023). March-ish this year, the car turns out problematic, and I took it to the dealership service ... long story short, I am still driving the loaner car 4months later. So after reviewing, Porsche NA offered me two options: repurchase and settlement cash. I am torn now which one to take.

Repurchase Pro:
- get a new car with probably more features i want
- can probably drive a 2024 cayenne sooner (vs. if I keep my car, it may take another acouple months at least for the needed parts to arrive). Note: we have another car, + the loaner cayenne

Repurchase Cons:
- not sure how much they'd offer me. my car is very new since it was just bought 7 months ago, but not sure how porsche estimates the value.
- if we buy a new one, it'd be more expensive since we bought it on 12/30, year-end discount was about $8000. I bet no such deal exists today (I am in the Bay Area of north Cali)

Just wonder what folks here think or recommend. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2024 | 01:08 PM
canuckporsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by iamvincent0530
I've got a new 2024 Cayenne Dec last year (2023). March-ish this year, the car turns out problematic, and I took it to the dealership service ... long story short, I am still driving the loaner car 4months later. So after reviewing, Porsche NA offered me two options: repurchase and settlement cash. I am torn now which one to take.

Repurchase Pro:
- get a new car with probably more features i want
- can probably drive a 2024 cayenne sooner (vs. if I keep my car, it may take another acouple months at least for the needed parts to arrive). Note: we have another car, + the loaner cayenne

Repurchase Cons:
- not sure how much they'd offer me. my car is very new since it was just bought 7 months ago, but not sure how porsche estimates the value.
- if we buy a new one, it'd be more expensive since we bought it on 12/30, year-end discount was about $8000. I bet no such deal exists today (I am in the Bay Area of north Cali)

Just wonder what folks here think or recommend. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
I’ve had some experience with this situation, but not a Porsche. Porsche will not provide discounts that don’t exist now and they will probably charge a per mile charge for depreciation. .
The following users liked this post:
iamvincent0530 (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024 | 03:43 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by canuckporsche
I’ve had some experience with this situation, but not a Porsche. Porsche will not provide discounts that don’t exist now and they will probably charge a per mile charge for depreciation. .
Lemon law doesn't work like that though depending on state. It's the mile charge before your first issue for deprecation.
Old 07-10-2024 | 05:07 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This easy, take the buy out and new car
Old 07-10-2024 | 05:21 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
This easy, take the buy out and new car
Agreed, I'm not sure why OP would even consider a settlement.
Old 07-10-2024 | 06:10 PM
iamvincent0530
4th Gear

Got it... Thank you TXshaggy and Shuga! We are definitely leaning much more towards taking the buyback option.. the reservation is the extra cost due to the deal we got when we bought the first car... but agree that the seemingly no brainer is to take the buyback and get a new one, resetting mileage, etc.
Old 07-10-2024 | 07:11 PM
zdcheng
7th Gear

I would recommend you check out what the settlement cash offer looks like. If the trade in for your current vehicle + settlement amount nets you more than the original purchase price of the car, you could potentially get another car for a discount.
Old 07-10-2024 | 07:15 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you're not happy with your choices, you could always speak to a lemon law lawyer. They are like personal injury attorneys they don't get paid until they win, and it doesn't come out of your pocket.
I don't see why you couldn't ask Porsche to buy back the car and give you an extra 8k since that's the discount that you got on the car to begin with. It doesn't hurt to ask. And since you're buying another Porsche I think they may be apt to do it.
Old 07-10-2024 | 07:43 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Porsche repurchased my 2023 Cayenne GTS for 100% of my cost including sales tax, Doc fees, title and PPF. After a year of use they could have used the State LL to reduce the settlement about $10k. I would have preffered a replacement but the GTS wasn't available to order at the time. Figure out what works best for you and make a counter offer. Negotiating is always an option. Porsche uses a third party for these issues so they don't have authority but will talk to Porsche and probably your Dealer (they called my G.M.).
I've had 3 repurchases over the years and Porsche was by far the best experience.
Old 07-10-2024 | 08:01 PM
iamvincent0530
4th Gear

Originally Posted by zdcheng
I would recommend you check out what the settlement cash offer looks like. If the trade in for your current vehicle + settlement amount nets you more than the original purchase price of the car, you could potentially get another car for a discount.
Interesting! Never thought about doing this.. but it's a bit 'bad faith', or no? I guess nothing stops me from doing it..
Old 07-10-2024 | 09:10 PM
zdcheng
7th Gear

Originally Posted by iamvincent0530
Interesting! Never thought about doing this.. but it's a bit 'bad faith', or no? I guess nothing stops me from doing it..
Nothing prevents you from doing it. I think PCNA actually prefer to do it. Hypothetically: if you purchased your car for $100k, they offer you $25k, and you can later trade in the car for $90k, you net ahead $15k. If the car is titled as a repurchase, and they can only sell it for $75k, they're still out $25k.

If they repurchase the car, I believe the title will indicate that it's a repurchase, and they will lose resell value on the vehicle. They have done some math to estimate the total loss they'll take on the vehicle by doing a repurchase, and they'll offer it to you, then you can decide what to do with the vehicle afterwards. I recommend you keep both doors open and just inquire (and negotiate), accepting the settlement does not preclude you from re-issuing a repurchase later if they cannot fix the issues on the vehicle either. One way or another, they've assumed they'll take the L on the vehicle, the benefit will go to you instead of the next buyer (in the form of a cheaper vehicle).

Last edited by zdcheng; 07-10-2024 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-10-2024 | 09:50 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

I’m going through this as I type. Wait and see Porsche’s offer. There’s always room for negotiation. I can’t speak for the other states but in CA, there’s a formula that the state sets to calculate the buyback amount. I’d get a Lemon Law lawyer. In CA, lawyer fees are paid by the manufacturer. Best of luck for all of us!

Last edited by luv2sleep; 07-10-2024 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2024 | 11:29 PM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Take the buy back. I’ve gone thru this with PCNA for 20 turbo s ehybrid. They treated me more than fair with repurchase. As others have said you can view the final offer and still reject it if in the end you aren’t satisfied.
Old 07-11-2024 | 09:21 AM
FrtisFrtnaAdvt
Intermediate

yep, examine the settlement figure, counter-offer, and if the hassle isn't worth it take the new car.
Old 07-11-2024 | 09:33 AM
Gwaxman34
Racer

I had a similar issue with a BMW and they replaced it with a new one (after arbitration). Have you explored that option?

Quick Reply: Should I take repurchase or settlement cash