Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 02:31 AM
Porschekid123
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fair Points
MSRP: 95190
Lease Terms 39 Mo: 10K, 1400$
(New) Lease Terms 18 Mo: 10K, 1650$ (In both cases its 12K Miles. Residual expected to be around 62%

I might not keep the car for too long and my current timeline is 2 years. Does it make sense to finance the car instead?
Old 07-02-2024, 04:06 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by On_Your_Left
Thank you. At least someone else here can separate the two.

Ehhh, not entire accurate. The Equal Credit Opportunity Act permits a lender to leverage immigration specifics to predict a creditor’s ability regarding repayment, blind or broad reliance on the mere existence of immigration status alone will get them into hot water. AKA - you can deny a loan term based on a visa expiration date (the OP's issue at hand) but you cannot simply say "we never loan to people who are here on visas"
i am agreeing with you. i am saving visa status is not protected. meaning u can discriminate based on that. unless i am wrong. am i?
Old 07-02-2024, 09:45 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 704 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
i am agreeing with you. i am saving visa status is not protected. meaning u can discriminate based on that. unless i am wrong. am i?
I don't see where discrimination comes into the conversation. PCNA and anyone else can decide who and on what terms they want to do business. The OP doesn't have permanent residency and if he loses his job (and can't be approved for another under the I-140 program) would have to leave the country. How does Porsche collect on the balance of the lease in that event? At least a citizen or PR can be pursued for judgement. I think the OP should just pay cash for the car.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 10:29 AM
On_Your_Left
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
If by status you mean the OP's predicament (expires prior to end of financing term) it's not protected and fully permissible. If "status" is applied more broadly (e.g. the mere presence of a visa) that's where it crosses the line.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasWShea (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 10:40 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 278 Posts

(expires prior to end of financing term)
this is what i am saying.
Old 07-02-2024, 01:10 PM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschekid123
Fair Points
(New) Lease Terms 18 Mo: 10K, 1650$ (In both cases its 12K Miles. Residual expected to be around 62%

I might not keep the car for too long and my current timeline is 2 years. Does it make sense to finance the car instead?
If your timeline would fit the 18 mos window then just go with that, not sure all the details are here but you'll pay around $30k in total, probably in line with depreciation, I doubt if you bought it you would get much more for it on trade in that window. Then you are locked into a known cost and depreciation will hit you hardest in those 18 months. You could always buy it out if you wanted to keep it much longer but not sure if that would make sense as the info isn't here. Just look at all in costs and what you would need to trade it for if you finance vs. lease and you can see what your risk would be if you finance and needed to trade it in that 18 month window.
Old 07-02-2024, 02:02 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschekid123
Fair Points

What's the MF/interest rate? I could figure it out from your monthly, assuming doesn't include tax, but don't want to.

Do you think your car will be worth more than $60k in 39months, is that the 62% or is that for 18months? Do you live in a state that helps with trade in tax?
Can you do a one pay lease for 18months to lower the MF? Typically you don't want to pay upfront on a lease, least amount of money out of your pocket is the goal.

All you are trying to to do is lower the interest rate and the price you pay for the car. If you know the lowest Porsche Financial MF (can find on Edmunds forum), then you are golden. The only variable is the price you pay for the car which is up to the dealer and what they are willing to sell you the car at.
Don't shop or negotiate the monthly payment. The payment will be what it is once you lock in the MF and the price you are going to pay for the car. I'm also assuming you deny all the dealer add-ons like wheel insurance or "Ceramic Nano Coated Paint Protection Armor Shield" for X amount. Which translate to we'll have Johnny spray on some ceramic spray wax in the back and give you a computer print out certificate....lol

Also a good way to determine (back of napkin method) if a lease is good or not is to estimate the monthly payment as the MSRP of the car. ~1,000 would be a decent lease amount on a 3yr 12k/mi. You can get a BMW iX with a slightly lower MSRP $90k around $800/month, $0 down, because BMW supports leases with a lot of incentives. Porsche does not and that's why Porsche leases suck.
But thank you for buying/leasing because it supports sports car development. Sort of like PCA social events that financially supports HPDE.

Last edited by 3Series; 07-02-2024 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-02-2024, 02:16 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 457 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckett76
If your timeline would fit the 18 mos window then just go with that, not sure all the details are here but you'll pay around $30k in total, probably in line with depreciation, I doubt if you bought it you would get much more for it on trade in that window. Then you are locked into a known cost and depreciation will hit you hardest in those 18 months. You could always buy it out if you wanted to keep it much longer but not sure if that would make sense as the info isn't here. Just look at all in costs and what you would need to trade it for if you finance vs. lease and you can see what your risk would be if you finance and needed to trade it in that 18 month window.
Fully agree with this. Would rather lease than buy a new Cayenne give the steep depreciation that awaits. The slight premium paid for leasing is more than fair considering the depreciation and other economic risk. And as noted, you could always buy it out if it makes sense.
Old 07-08-2024, 10:37 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 452 Posts

Not even weak. it's non-existent. Lenders are allowed to consider immigration and residency information in making a lending decision.
Yes the issue here is likely Porsche Financial has a rule that will only support them extending a lease for the duration of the Visa to protect and support their interests. For example I've seen leases and financing docs on cars which restrict owners from taking the cars out of the US. While it is the owners car for sure the terms of the contract prevent movement of the vehicle out of the US without permission and some won't allow it at all. Have seen it many times and witnessed it personally as a US military member when I myself received orders overseas. Even had to sell a BMW once as it didn't make sense to refinance the car to a lender who would allow me to take it overseas given the value. USAA often will allow it but you must apply/request permission to move the car and even get insurance offered overseas so it does not seem outlandish or unbelievable that PFS would restrict a lease to someone with a residency restriction/Visa.
Originally Posted by Buckett76
Yes it makes sense if OP says he has a 24 mo window on his Visa till 2026 and may not stay then why worry about the 39 mo lease? He can always take the offered 19 mo lease and normally in my experience once can extend a lease for a variable amount of time with PFS or any leasing company especially if he/she has another car on order at the same price point. Or as others have said can buy it out right at the residual price over turn it in. So given the above the only thing I would probably question would be the change in numbers but that kinda makes sense as the lease term was halved from 39 mos to 19 mos so thus more $$ monthly just the same a if one had a shorter term for a purchase also. Maybe a better option would be to go back to the dealer and try to negotiate a discount or additional cost reduction or incentive that would negate all or some of the $250/mo increase. If you don't ask then you don't know what is possible.
Originally Posted by gatorfast
Fully agree with this. Would rather lease than buy a new Cayenne give the steep depreciation that awaits. The slight premium paid for leasing is more than fair considering the depreciation and other economic risk. And as noted, you could always buy it out if it makes sense.
I just got my 2024 Cayenne e hybrid and went with a lease...was offered both but in my situation discounts/incentives offered by the dealer due to the chip delays and EPA/CARB approval delays plus the initial $7500 EV reduction taken at purchase offered enough savings and reductions that the lease was a better option for me....as may order a Turbo hybrid next in 2027 or buy my car out depending on need and what is available in the market/inventory at that time. But in the short/small amount of info offered...I'd say a lease may work best given the Visa issues/concerns and timelines IMHO.

Quick Reply: Negotiating a Lease due to change of terms by the Dealer