Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Negotiating a Lease due to change of terms by the Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 05:43 PM
Mr.Bourne
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I think the comment was that this would be an expensive proposition with poor ROI. A lawyer will take your money. Rest assured on that. They may try to counsel you out of it,, but it is your money.
Old 07-01-2024, 06:17 PM
On_Your_Left
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Shuga
Lenders are allowed to consider residency information. If the current visa is and can be extended to to the end of terms of the lease there is ZERO reason for denial.
"is" and "can be" are two different things. An I-140 is not a magic/automatic visa extension. It's approval to file an I-485 adjustment of status (which may or may have been filed concurrently with the I-140) or less commonly, start the consular processing path. Basically, having the thumbs up to pursue a green card is not the same thing as actually having it. As I said above, a lender is legally allowed to consider immigration & residency status as it specifically relates to repayment ability... So to say there is "ZERO reason for denial" is not accurate.

It's discrimination if they're saying we're not going to approve you solely due to the fact that you're an immigrant.
Correct, but that's not what the OP stated. The issue at hand is a visa expiration date, not just they're just an immigrant.

But bottom line is that they're not even putting the paperwork through, this a dealer issue with the visa not a lender.
Any proof to back that up? Or just spitballing here?
Old 07-01-2024, 06:42 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by On_Your_Left
"is" and "can be" are two different things. An I-140 is not a magic/automatic visa extension. It's approval to file an I-485 adjustment of status (which may or may have been filed concurrently with the I-140) or less commonly, start the consular processing path. Basically, having the thumbs up to pursue a green card is not the same thing as actually having it. As I said above, a lender is legally allowed to consider immigration & residency status as it specifically relates to repayment ability... So to say there is "ZERO reason for denial" is not accurate.

Correct, but that's not what the OP stated. The issue at hand is a visa expiration date, not just they're just an immigrant.

Any proof to back that up? Or just spitballing here?

You're right can be and Is are two different things. However, I would assume if OP wanted to move forward legally with this, he would have his green card status sorted out.

I think that the immigration status and the visa expiration date go hand and hand. In todays world especially in America, it's not a far jump at all to think that OP is experiencing prejudiced undertones from the dealer.

Originally Posted by Porschekid123
the dealership is saying that the bank is not going to accept this? They are now offering me an 18-month lease which is ~250$/mo more expensive than my previous deal. Sharing deal specs below:
This to me indicates that it's coming from the finance manger and not Porsche who is unwilling to put the financing through.

Old 07-01-2024, 06:55 PM
On_Your_Left
Advanced

However, I would assume if OP wanted to move forward legally with this, he would have his green card status sorted out.
A large assumption worth confirming before you whip out the "discrimination" and "lawyer up" cards.

.I think that the immigration status and the visa expiration date go hand and hand.
Nope.... More assumptions I take it?
Old 07-01-2024, 07:06 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

A large assumption worth confirming before you whip out the "discrimination" and "lawyer up" cards.

Nope.... More assumptions I take it?
Not at all, it's just a step to take if this is the route OP choses to take.

It's not an assumption. It's exactly what's happening here from the info given by OP. But Let's not leave out my full statement here. "I think that the immigration status and the visa expiration date go hand and hand. In todays world especially in America, it's not a far jump at all to think that OP is experiencing prejudiced undertones from the dealer"

Old 07-01-2024, 07:13 PM
On_Your_Left
Advanced

Not at all, it's just a step to take if this is the route OP choses to take.

It's not an assumption. It's exactly what's happening here from the info given by OP. But Let's not leave out my full statement here. "I think that the immigration status and the visa expiration date go hand and hand. In todays world especially in America, it's not a far jump at all to think that OP is experiencing prejudiced undertones from the dealer"
You've run out of facts to defend so you're hitting the emotional angle for all it's worth. The bold text really seals the deal. Thanks for re-sharing.
Old 07-01-2024, 07:22 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You've run out of facts to defend so you're hitting the emotional angle for all it's worth. The bold text really seals the deal. Thanks for re-sharing.
I am hitting on the facts that have been provided by OP. As far as we know the dealer never put the paperwork through.

The bold texts states that you shouldn't take half my quote and then say its an assumption.

The Discrimination is not only emotional it's also illegal...
Old 07-01-2024, 07:29 PM
On_Your_Left
Advanced

I am hitting on the facts that have been provided by OP.
the only fact from the OP stated is that the denial is related to their visa expiration date.

As far as we know the dealer never put the paperwork through.
not a fact, just an assumption

The Discrimination is not only emotional it's also illegal...
Not sure how else to explain this to you. It's not illegal to base their lending decision on a visa expiration date. You're clearly under-informed on this point.
Old 07-01-2024, 07:39 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

the only fact from the OP stated is that the denial is related to their visa expiration date.

not a fact, just an assumption

Not sure how else to explain this to you. It's not illegal to base their lending decision on a visa expiration date. You're clearly under-informed on this point.

the dealership is saying that the bank is not going to accept this?

The dealer is saying that the bank is NOT going to accept this. Let's break this down. The dealer didn't say that the Bank DID NOT accept this. Two completely different things. This is not an assumption this is going off of OP's words. Point blank.

Once again it is discrimination which is illegal if OP extends the Visa to fit the original lease terms and they're still only offering the new deal to get him to pay an extra $250 for the new short term lease...
Old 07-01-2024, 07:58 PM
On_Your_Left
Advanced

Once again it is discrimination which is illegal if OP extends the Visa to fit the original lease terms
mighty big “if” and not in the OPs comments. All they said they had was the I-140.

But I give up. You’re clearly unwilling to recognize your own ignorance when it comes to this topic….
thus making further discussion pointless.
The following 2 users liked this post by On_Your_Left:
drcollie (07-02-2024), Ironman88 (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 08:31 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 704 Likes on 492 Posts

Hello fellow Porsche-owners,

I am planning to lease a 2024 Cayenne Coupe and this will be my first Porsche. I built the car and going to finally pick it up this week. I had initially signed-up for a 39 month lease but this week the dealership told me that they could only approve me for a 18-month lease because my visa expires in 2026. That felt unexpected because this was never discussed and I do have a valid document (I-140) that can extend my visa but the dealership is saying that the bank is not going to accept this? They are now offering me an 18-month lease which is ~250$/mo more expensive than my previous deal. Sharing deal specs below:

Anyone has any experience in navigating this situation with the dealership?
If PCNA (or the bank) isn't going to accept the I-140 which is step two in the green card process (essentially an alien work permit), I don't think there is much you can do. I agree with others, you should just buy the vehicle. From my experience on a 3 year lease (2021 Cayenne GTS at $135,000CAD), the residual after 3 years was $69,500 and the market value was about $25,000 more. But if you assume the depreciation after 3 years is about 50%, it won't really matter whether you lease or buy.
The following 2 users liked this post by kayjh:
Fahrfun (07-02-2024), mdrobc1213 (07-08-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 08:41 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

mighty big “if” and not in the OPs comments. All they said they had was the I-140.

But I give up. You’re clearly unwilling to recognize your own ignorance when it comes to this topic….
thus making further discussion pointless.
LOL, You just didn't want to get lawyers involved to start. I was suggesting the steps OP needs to take imo. Not saying extending a visa is easy.
Old 07-01-2024, 09:58 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 278 Posts

green card holder is a legal permanent resident. I-140 is not. OP could choose to bail out at the visa end date even if he is eligible to extend. hence the risk.

additionally, you can discriminate, unless it is based on a protected reason. i.e. declining for bad credit is discrimination as well but only a fool would say that discrimination should be illegal.

extending a financial obligation to an individual who has no obligation to be around for the duration of that commitment would be dumb.
The following 3 users liked this post by ThomasWShea:
closenough (07-01-2024), Ironman88 (07-01-2024), mdrobc1213 (07-08-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 10:54 PM
On_Your_Left
Advanced

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
green card holder is a legal permanent resident. I-140 is not. OP could choose to bail out at the visa end date even if he is eligible to extend. hence the risk.
Thank you. At least someone else here can separate the two.

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
additionally, you can discriminate, unless it is based on a protected reason. i.e. declining for bad credit is discrimination as well but only a fool would say that discrimination should be illegal.
Ehhh, not entire accurate. The Equal Credit Opportunity Act permits a lender to leverage immigration specifics to predict a creditor’s ability regarding repayment, blind or broad reliance on the mere existence of immigration status alone will get them into hot water. AKA - you can deny a loan term based on a visa expiration date (the OP's issue at hand) but you cannot simply say "we never loan to people who are here on visas"
Old 07-01-2024, 11:05 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Disclaimer: I didn't read this whole thread, lost interest around the bickering about suing.

Typcially, Porsche doesn't lease well. You are better off just financing it.
You need to post you lease deal terms, price you are paying, the money factor and the residual.
Find out what the lowest MF for July is without markup. The rest is easy because the price you pay is easy to comprehend and the residual is always the same for everyone by month (using Porsche).

The dealer wants to sell you the car.

Quick Reply: Negotiating a Lease due to change of terms by the Dealer