Sponsored By:

Build critique - 2025 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 10:06 AM
durrtvegas
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Get full cow, it’s a mistake to order a vehicle this pricey with a vinyl interior

Get Sport Exhaust, not just the tips. You will not like the stock exhaust.

18 ways are good for slim people, 14 ways are more comfortable for broad builds and on longer road trips.depends on body types.

Skip the Sport Chrono. I almost never use it on mine. It’s a 5,000 lb vehicle, it will never feel like a sports car.

Sport Design Front adds a lot to appearance and lowers the black plastic belt line in the sides.

Lots of sheet metal, make sure you like red! Here’s a new S in Carmine Red, spider wheels and Sport Front Fascia.

I have 18 ways in my Macan and am happy with them… super helpful to see an actual picture, thank you for that!
Old 06-30-2024, 10:14 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 344 Posts

Your build looks good to me but you might as well add torque vectoring if you really do want to maximum "driving performance and dynamics".

LOL, I've never seen a red Cayenne but why not. Most I see including the ones I saw on the road and in the post office parking lot yesterday are either black or white or a conservative color.

It isn't related to performance but I have to express my love of the full Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass option. I just don't like needless noise. The heat insulating properties of the double pane glass is amazing.

The Sport Design package means having body color rocker panels. What I don't like about that is that splashes and streaks of road tar show more readily unless the body color is black or other very dark color. I keep cars clean enough but having black rocker panels hides road tar without be having to continually clean to keep them looking decent. But maybe I drive on rural roads more than most. I panic every time I see a "Fresh Oil" sign.

Speaking of cleaning cars, some have complained about the effort of cleaning the 20 spoke Spyder wheels. I feel fortunate that the in-stock Cayenne I bought had the optional 10 spoke 21 inch Exclusive Design wheels which probably don't take even a minute each to wipe down after a car wash. Spending an additional $390 will get you those. Plus, every time I see a Cayenne with the Spyder wheels, which the black one I saw yesterday had, I think of a memorable movie scene about a certain coffee table.

When Harry Met Sally wagon wheel coffee table

The following users liked this post:
durrtvegas (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 11:03 AM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

I have owned a 2024 Cayenne S for eight months and about 8000 miles. It is primarily my wife’s ride, and she seems happy with it. I like it a lot myself, but I can’t say that I really like the driving dynamics. We came out of a 2014 Cayenne S with the base suspension and the base 18 inch wheels, and I thought the 2014 had much better steering feel, even though the tire aspect ratio was the same as the 2024. In general, I think the 2024 has a softer suspension, and I believe that was the intention of Porsche to expand the market into car like territory. Thus, the GTS should be seriously considered if “driving dynamics “ is a priority. Mike
The following 2 users liked this post by mk85911:
chassis (06-30-2024), durrtvegas (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 11:56 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mk85911
In general, I think the 2024 has a softer suspension, and I believe that was the intention of Porsche to expand the market into car like territory. Thus, the GTS should be seriously considered if “driving dynamics “ is a priority. Mike
Have you put your 2024's suspension into Sport Plus mode? That might necessitate a visit to a dentist.
Old 06-30-2024, 12:21 PM
durrtvegas
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks to the wisdom of this thread, I am leaning towards a GTS; am I missing anything?

New build code: PSEHW5V8
chassis (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 12:54 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
Have you put your 2024's suspension into Sport Plus mode? That might necessitate a visit to a dentist.
I actually have. When I’m driving by myself, I generally engage Sport or Sport Plus, but I’m not certain that it does enough for the steering. When I was doing the build, I had intended to order 21” wheels in order to have a lower profile tire, but the idiot SA had told my wife about the configurator, so she knew how much the cost was, so I abandoned that plan—I had achieved my primary goal of getting the “S”, so I let it pass. To be honest, I think the fact that I regularly drive a couple of 911’s renders my opinion re steering somewhat askew. Mike
Old 06-30-2024, 02:44 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by durrtvegas
Thanks to the wisdom of this thread, I am leaning towards a GTS; am I missing anything?

Nice build. Consider adding HUD and SportDesign.

SportDesign on the GTS is only $570, a de minimis amount on a $135k build. It completely changes the exterior appearance, for the better.
Old 06-30-2024, 03:08 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 569 Posts

No one has driven the 25 GTS yet. So it's kinda hard to steer this person to it? Don't get me wrong, I'm 10/10 for suggesting that he makes the jump at his price point but it's something to keep in mind
Old 06-30-2024, 03:47 PM
On_Your_Left
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Shuga
No one has driven the 25 GTS yet. So it's kinda hard to steer this person to it?
Has anyone driven the 2025 S yet?
Old 06-30-2024, 03:50 PM
Peter Shirley
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Hello, coming from a used but new to me 2018 Macan Turbo and upgrading to a 2025 Cayenne S. Please critique my build; goals are maximizing driving performance and dynamics, a luxurious but understated interior/appearance, and trying to keep budget under $130K. Thank you!

Build code: PS4TZKD9
I just took delivery of mine. couple of comments:

1. rear axle steer - I drove one with it (have it on my gt3rs so I am used to it) but it felt strange on the cayenne and almost made it too twitchy at highway speeds. if you haven't had it, drive it before ordering
2. high gloss black - I added the door handles, my 3rs came that way and didn't think I would like it, but they are really nice and break up all that real estate on the doors
3. roof rails - if you ever need them they are there, and if not, they don't hurt resale value
4. night vision and HUD - after doing several thousand miles of road trips they are awesome!
The following 2 users liked this post by Peter Shirley:
chassis (06-30-2024), durrtvegas (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 04:04 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Try to do a thorough test drive of a GTS if at all possible. At least on the 9Y0.1, some people have been unprepared for the harsher ride, the more rear biased power application, and the higher noise level due to the reduction in sound insulation.

I keep remembering the YouTube Savage Geese review of the 9Y0 GTS in which the middle-aged boy racer duo Mark and Porsche-addict Jack compared the GTS to the S that they had reviewed a few months earlier. The title of the review sums up their conclusion: "Less is More"
durrtvegas (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 04:15 PM
On_Your_Left
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woofman
\higher noise level due to the reduction in sound insulation.
Has this been confirmed anywhere for the 2025 model? The only reduction of sound insulation I've read about is exclusively on the coupe when you option the lightweight package.
Old 06-30-2024, 04:40 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

V8 .1 models have no hood blanket. V6 .1 have hood blankets. This is one example of reduced sound insulation.

Not sure if .2 underhood photos have been posted on this site.
Old 06-30-2024, 04:54 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by On_Your_Left
Has this been confirmed anywhere for the 2025 model? The only reduction of sound insulation I've read about is exclusively on the coupe when you option the lightweight package.
2025 will likely be a carryover from 2024 with minimal if any changes. I think it was @Schnave who in a previous thread mentioned the reduced sound insulation in the 9Y0.1 GTS. I don't remember if it was tied to the lightweight package but maybe he knows and will respond. IIRC, the reduced sound insulation was towards the back of the GTS so that one could better hear the exhaust noise.
Old 06-30-2024, 05:03 PM
On_Your_Left
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chassis
V8 .1 models have no hood blanket. V6 .1 have hood blankets. This is one example of reduced sound insulation.

Not sure if .2 underhood photos have been posted on this site.
yes but the comment in question was referring to reduced sound insulation in the GTS as compared to the S. Both of which have a V8.......

Quick Reply: Build critique - 2025 Cayenne S