Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Build critique - 2025 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024 | 05:37 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

I have driven the 2024 "S" and the "S"-Hybrid" (have a 2025 being built to order). And I have a 21 GTS that get sold when the new one gets here. Both the "S" and Hybrid "S" are composed, well-handling machines and the new suspension is superior to the prior generation. The '21 GTS is rowdy and not nearly as quiet. My wife calls it "The Rumbler" and doesn't like how loud it is, but its alway her favorite highway trip car (She drives a Macan S). The differences between all of them are not huge - they are all refined vehicles with slightly different personalities. The Hybrid S, with a charge in the battery, will shame my '21 GTS in acceleration. Mostly though, I'm upgrading just for something new to play with, and I like the Hybrid concept. I'm also 4 years older now and value more quiet, so more insulation and the optional windows, plue tooling around town on battery power only is the appeal. And of course my build is ridiculous as I checked off most the boxes. Cost is not an issue, so why not?

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PSXFBC79

chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by On_Your_Left
yes but the comment in question was referring to reduced sound insulation in the GTS as compared to the S. Both of which have a V8.......
Ok one aspect is hood blankets. What is the S vs GTS difference in .2 wrt hood blankets?
Woofman
Burning Brakes

yes but the comment in question was referring to reduced sound insulation in the GTS as compared to the S. Both of which have a V8.......
I thought I was clear that I was referring to the differences between the pre-2024 9Y0.1 S (V6) and the 9Y0.1 GTS (V8). I'm extrapolating that the differences remain in the 2024-up 9Y0.2 but I don't know that for a fact.
Old 06-30-2024 | 05:55 PM
On_Your_Left
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woofman
I thought I was clear that I was referring to the differences between the pre-2024 9Y0.1 S (V6) and the 9Y0.1 GTS (V8). I'm extrapolating that the differences remain in the 2024-up 9Y0.2 but I don't know that for a fact.
And I extrapolated upon your extrapolation to thus extrapolate the use of hood blanket was engine related not trim related....... but I have zero data to back that up.

Last edited by On_Your_Left; 06-30-2024 at 06:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Woofman (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024 | 06:28 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

And I extrapolated upon your extrapolation to thus extrapolate the use of hood blanket was engine related not trim related....... but I have zero data to back that up.
LOL, good one!

I found a Porsche webpage about "the New Cayenne GTS" with a 2023 date at the bottom which I initially thought would be the 2024 Cayenne GTS but the accompanying photos show it's about the pre-2024 Cayenne GTS: https://media.porsche.com/mediakit/c...0the%20overrun.

The page includes the phrase "This includes targeted reduction of the insulating material mainly in the rear area". My interpretation is that this statement applies to both standard and coupe GTS and is not in conjunction with the light weight package which is described separately. Whether this remains a GTS-only difference from other Cayenne variations beyond 2023 is unknown.

This is starting to be like the medieval debate about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
Old 06-30-2024 | 07:10 PM
kwrudy123
Intermediate

I agree on the deletion of the PDCC. I don't think the tech package is worth it, as the HUD is pretty basic on the Cayenne vs. the new HUD on the Macan EV; and the passenger screen is a waste of money. The two glaring missing items IMO are the sports exhaust system and the full leather interior. Getting a Porsche V8 without the PSE will surely disappoint you in that you won't get the great exhaust note that a V8 delivers without it. And the standard leather interior of the Cayenne is unfortunately filled with cheap looking textured plastic on the upper dash, steering wheel and door panels. You won't feel like you're in a luxury vehicle without the full leather package.

Last edited by kwrudy123; 06-30-2024 at 08:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by kwrudy123:
chassis (06-30-2024), durrtvegas (06-30-2024), Gus22 (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024 | 07:47 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Has anyone driven the 2025 S yet?
No, but there's at least a 24 S model out that won't change for 25
Old 06-30-2024 | 08:41 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woofman
. . . I think it was @Schnave who in a previous thread mentioned the reduced sound insulation in the 9Y0.1 GTS. I don't remember if it was tied to the lightweight package but maybe he knows and will respond. IIRC, the reduced sound insulation was towards the back of the GTS so that one could better hear the exhaust noise.
Yep, that was me. Here’s that post from this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...e-options.html

From the Cayenne GTS press release:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/dam/jcr...s_kit_PCNA.pdf

• To match the new car's impressive performance, its specifically tuned Sport Exhaust Systems deliver a fittingly emotional sound.The twin-branch Sport Exhaust System has a modified, large-volume rear muffler and, compared to the Sport Exhaust System available on the other Cayenne models, the standard Sport Exhaust Systems of the GTS models have additional features that further differentiate them.
  • This includes targeted reduction of sound deadening material, mainly in the rear, to intensify the exhaust note audible from the cabin.

Last edited by Schnave; 06-30-2024 at 08:43 PM.
chassis (06-30-2024)
Old 07-01-2024 | 03:52 AM
MAXFPS
Instructor

Originally Posted by durrtvegas
Hello, coming from a used but new to me 2018 Macan Turbo and upgrading to a 2025 Cayenne S. Please critique my build; goals are maximizing driving performance and dynamics, a luxurious but understated interior/appearance, and trying to keep budget under $130K. Thank you!

Build code: PS4TZKD9
Great to see everyone chipping in here. I don't know if this many opinions actually helps you decide, but here's my $0.02 :
I got my first Porsche, a 2024 Cayenne Coupe Base, pretty well loaded, in February. I had it trucked 2,000 miles to get most of the options I wanted, which was as close as I could get to my ideal loadout from existing inventory.
It's the most incredible car I've ever been in, and I've now found myself a "Porsche guy", incessantly watching YouTube reviews on them and joining Porsche forums thoroughly enjoying discussing the wonky details like these.
The only thing that could be better than my Cayenne is more cylinders, more speed, electric when I want it, and all the options I missed out on. So in May I placed an order for another 2024 Cayenne, the Turbo E-Hybrid Coupe, in the same exterior & interior colors I have (which I love), but with all the options I couldn't find on a dealer lot. I made a huge spreadsheet of every one of them and which dealers had what, and custom order was the only way to get them all. I just added $75K cost and basically got "the same car I already have" as my wife sees it. And she's not that wrong.
Here's mine. It arrives late October: PRZY2A95
the configurer only shows the 2025s now with Turbonite windows trim and soft-close doors standard, but I intentionally wanted the '24 without Turbonite).

My thoughts on your build:
Sounds like you (or your wife and dog) may value quiet and a soft ride on the highway like I do vs. a stiffer ride with more noise? Watch & read a lot of reviews of the GTS vs. base/S first.
Same thing with Sport Exhaust. I don't want noisy all the time, and it can't be entirely switched off, so I didn't get it. But about 90% of folks here seem to think I should have gone for the roar. I think the V-8 should be enough... but that's one option I may still have FOMO on.
Porsche was sold out of the noise insulated glass or I would have liked to have gotten it. Check with your dealer on availability on that.
I agree with everyone else here: get the leather interior. It's what you're touching all the time, and should be standard on a car like this. I even got the lower seat consoles in leather, as I'm amazed at the cheap plastic that's standard. You won't see them often, but it annoyed me since the leather next to them is so nice.
Just be forewarned that's a very all-black interior you have. On the configurer they render black much lighter/greyer than real life just so you can see the textures. I have the chalk+black interior, which is about 50% black still, and with the black headliner the interior is still darker than I'd like (went Kalahari headliner with some chalk grab handles on my next one). It'll show every dog hair, and as I'm found out my wife moisturizer where her elbows rest.
I splurged for the red seatbelts and with your red exterior I think that would make a killer interior touch without making it too red, IMHO.
I love the technology package, and think it's one of the few reasonable priced options:
1) I can't live without a HUD anymore. Personal taste, but I love keeping my eyes up and it even has a tachometer option and a custom "put what you want to see" configuration option.
2) Night vision seems like a gimmick, but even when your dash isn't in night-vision mode, the heat-sensors (should be) assisting. Night vision saved me from hitting a deer in my Audi A7 once, popping a warning for a deer in the road beyond the pool of light of a streetlight I couldn't even see. Along with pedestrian detection, I'm sold on night vision as vital safety system whether you ever use the (sadly-periscope narrow little) nightvision view-circle in the dash or not.
3) Lastly, the passenger display is just cool. Every passenger that gets in your car will be wowed by it, whether they play navigator, music-controller, or right seat driver watching your speed and G-Force meters. It gives them an immediate hook into why the Cayenne is so cool to you. And it "completes" the dashboard unbroken screens left->right view to me. Every Cayenne I see without it looks like it's missing to me, but I can also see the argument that may not get much use. It's also piano gloss black which is normal for a screen but pretty much an un-coverable mirror for the passenger whether they want one or not if you don't get the screen.
21" Wheels are a good choice for the softer ride. I have the Exclusive Designs in the same gloss black/silver that you're getting and they look amazing and surprisingly do NOT have a huge brake dust build-up problem, so I'm pushing that and getting my next ones painted white/silver.
If you want to save a little money, the HD-Matrix headlights in black for $600 vs. the HD-Matrix headlights in ~90% black as standard is an easy one to give up. Yes, I got them in black in my new build, because I just went nuts. But I debated hard on that one as the HD-Matrix headlights are mostly black normally, and the gunmetal "swoop" in from of them that says Porsche looks incredible. I think I'm essentially paying $600 for slightly tinted headlight cover-glass, but I'm going for the white+black stormtrooper look. If you want a good video to see the extremely subtle differences in them:
If you need to cut another option to save $1K, the dark bronze exhaust tips I have now but didn't re-order. You'll rarely see them and the standard look good too with the black+silver theme you have going on your wheels.
I ordered PDCC, but even without it and with no air suspension I'm stunned at how flat the base Cayenne corners in Sport mode. Evidently air suspension improves on that again, and PDCC is the cherry on top but you only notice it in Sport Plus and high speed cornering. Still, I wanted no option FOMO so I ordered it.
Rear-Wheel-Steer I've seen 90% positive reviews on. My wife's Lexus TX500h has it and it makes that battle tank turn like a mid-size sedan in parking lots.
I don't know why people delete the model option, but if I got the S I'd brag! ;-)

Carmine red looks amazing. With the way I drive that color, plus Sports Exhaust, would get me more tickets than I could handle!
I love the Sport Design fronts, but find the lower body black on my current base completely fine. It's so low you barely see it standing next to the car, and when I bend down to actually look at the lower cladding it's always splashed with mud and road grime I didn't notice on the black. They'll be white as standard on my next one and I'm sure that's going to have me scrubbing more often.

Have fun with it!

durrtvegas (07-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Build critique - 2025 Cayenne S