Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ransomware attack on dealer system

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024 | 06:25 PM
Ticket Target
Racer

Originally Posted by patgilm
From what I understand any Penske dealer does not mark up cars and if caught by Penske employees will get in trouble. I was talking with the dealer I am working with about availability of GT cars and he said they can’t mark up cars over MSRP
I frequent Stevens Creek Porsche. They are a Penske shop and they do mark up their vehicles when they can.
Old 06-29-2024 | 08:50 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Russia provides a safe haven for the hackers that commit these crimes. They are responsible for terrorizing / ripping off countless American companies for very big money.

Ultimately the American people are paying for this.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cyberse...es-transcript/

Old 06-30-2024 | 02:16 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ironman88
So in other words, while these businesses are being robbed of their livelihoods by Russian criminals, why not look to take advantage of them and the very difficult situation they are struggling with to score a "better deal" for yourself.

Nice.
"Taking advantage of dealers". LMFAOOOOO. Stop.

Lets look at covid pricing. or how many Macan's and Cayenne's I have to order to get on a GT3 list...
The following 3 users liked this post by Shuga:
downtroddengoat (06-30-2024), MEGY911 (07-02-2024), Tedster (07-02-2024)
Old 06-30-2024 | 02:20 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Russia provides a safe haven for the hackers that commit these crimes. They are responsible for terrorizing / ripping off countless American companies for very big money.

Ultimately the American people are paying for this.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cyberse...es-transcript/
After the U.S put such aggressive sanctions on Russian people, you think for two seconds they're going to care? No... The last thing Russia cares about is hackers hacking.
The following users liked this post:
Palantir (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024 | 02:21 PM
patgilm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ticket Target
I frequent Stevens Creek Porsche. They are a Penske shop and they do mark up their vehicles when they can.
Yeah I didn’t know this for a fact, it’s what my local Land Rover dealer told me that was a Penske dealer when I was looking at a Range Rover prior to settling on a Cayenne.
Old 07-01-2024 | 08:08 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shuga
After the U.S put such aggressive sanctions on Russian people, you think for two seconds they're going to care? No... The last thing Russia cares about is hackers hacking.
You have an acute awareness of the obvious.

Old 07-02-2024 | 07:41 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

I don't mean to sound alarmist. Russian hacking should be viewed as a form of warfare against the US. Some of these Russian ransomware companies have a "help desk" in case the victim needs help figuring out how to pay the ransom. Ascenson, one of the largest (if not the largest) hospital systems recently got hacked by a ransom group in Russia. They were having t do everything on paper and stopped all elective surgeries.Time for our government to start funding serious anti hacking efforts.
Old 07-02-2024 | 10:13 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I don't mean to sound alarmist. Russian hacking should be viewed as a form of warfare against the US. Some of these Russian ransomware companies have a "help desk" in case the victim needs help figuring out how to pay the ransom. Ascenson, one of the largest (if not the largest) hospital systems recently got hacked by a ransom group in Russia. They were having t do everything on paper and stopped all elective surgeries.Time for our government to start funding serious anti hacking efforts.
100% agree. This is exactly what it is.

Same thing with the Fentanyl drugs from China.

Both highly organized state-sponsored efforts to weaken the US.

Old 07-02-2024 | 10:59 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Time for our government to start funding serious anti hacking efforts.
Or maybe more organizations should adopt sound practices in their I.T. system designs and keep their systems up-to-date including by timely applying security patches. It's complicated but not rocket science.

Old 07-02-2024 | 12:44 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woofman
Or maybe more organizations should adopt sound practices in their I.T. system designs and keep their systems up-to-date including by timely applying security patches. It's complicated but not rocket science.
I agree with you.

Problem is, I don't know if there is standardization of sound practices. Maybe it's left completely up to each individual IT dept. head to determine.

The problem is becoming so wide-spread and so broad-based, it's a national security issue. Banking, health care, retail, public utilities. Hundreds of millions of dollars (if not approaching billion(s). I don't know what the solution path should be, but I don't think it can be left up to each individual organizations' IT head alone to figure out and implement.
Old 07-02-2024 | 12:53 PM
mc-pgts
Instructor

Originally Posted by Woofman
Unfortunately many bean counters have concluded that it's cheaper to pay later than it is to pay up front to do the job right. I worked in IT for 35+ years and in IT security for 20+ years. Company A decided they didn't need internal firewalls, I was let go and they removed them. Shortly after they had a virus that took down development for a month. Have they changed their ways? Nope. They only count hard numbers like head count, not soft numbers of loss of productivity.
Old 07-02-2024 | 12:59 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mc-pgts
Unfortunately many bean counters have concluded that it's cheaper to pay later than it is to pay up front to do the job right. I worked in IT for 35+ years and in IT security for 20+ years. Company A decided they didn't need internal firewalls, I was let go and they removed them. Shortly after they had a virus that took down development for a month. Have they changed their ways? Nope. They only count hard numbers like head count, not soft numbers of loss of productivity.
The same "bean-counter" mentality has existed at Boeing - and we can now all see where that has gotten them.

But I digress...

Old 07-02-2024 | 01:30 PM
ThomasWShea
Three Wheelin'

I was at bellevue porsche in WA yesterday. they had no issues and mentioned nothing. they are an AutoNation dealer and they generate horizontal format invoice unlike every other vw/audi/porsche dealer i have been to so I think they may be using some different software.

service bay shot

Quick Reply: Ransomware attack on dealer system