Sponsored By:

Ransomware attack on dealer system

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 07:38 PM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Ransomware attack on dealer system

Has anyone heard about this? I picked up my Cayenne today from service and they could not print me a detailed invoice / work order as their systems are down due to a ransomware attack. Apparently, this is impacting over 15,000 dealers and they cannot price parts, sell parts (has to be manual), work orders and it is impacting the sales side as well (writing deals manually). Been going on now for several days and they are not sure when it will end (my service guy said he had heard it could be 90 days). Apparently, as a result, there has been several cancellations of service appointments because of this. They can only do some of the basic service stuff. The ransomware attacker wants $86 million to release the system. Crazy stuff.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:40 PM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

Should have mentioned that this is just not isolated to Porsche. Several car manufacturers are impacted.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:43 PM
zdcheng
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes this has been going on for a few days now: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...fter-111364086, and repairs are impacted at dealerships too.
The following users liked this post:
blackpearl2015 (06-24-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 07:43 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts

Picked up my wife's Panamera yesterday. The system was hacked. I cannot recall the name of the system, but they are the dominant software provider to dealers, so there are many dealers affected. I picked up a paper record, and was told a regular record would be provided once the system is back up and running. I wonder whether the ransom will be paid. Ascension Health was attacked with a $100 million dollar ransom, and I understand that they paid it to a Russian hacking group.
Old 06-25-2024, 02:00 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 443 Likes on 325 Posts

they will pay it. the cost of not paying will be higher. so they will pay. unless the hackers miss calculated, which occasionally happens.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:58 PM
patgilm
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard the same thing from my dealer yesterday when I was placing my GTS order.
Old 06-27-2024, 08:50 AM
johnnydee
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up my '21 Cayenne e Hybrid yesterday, and the dealer said 15,000 dealers across NA are affected. They delayed the closing for a week, hoping this would be fixed by then, but they are still doing things manually until they get this resolved.
The software system is, I believe is CDK.
Old 06-28-2024, 11:26 AM
donsladek
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnydee
I picked up my '21 Cayenne e Hybrid yesterday, and the dealer said 15,000 dealers across NA are affected. They delayed the closing for a week, hoping this would be fixed by then, but they are still doing things manually until they get this resolved.
The software system is, I believe is CDK.
My VW is in for service today, and all documentation is being done by paper & pen.
Old 06-29-2024, 12:19 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 468 Posts

Yes its affected a bunch of dealers across the US...CDK haked and affecting service sales, financing, and even parts tracking. Folks say many dealers have gone back to pen and paper and excell to track deals and run numbers by hand and then will have to put everything in the system when it comes back up. Latest news cast I saw on tv this AM said dealers expect maybe to be back up in some form partially by end of month. Ransom was like 15 million asked...but CDK company will likely pay it cause the dealership network is loosing that almost daily in lost sales and delays.

On a brighter note some say may be good time to get a deal from dealers who are willing to do a deal by hand to get the sale and business vs waiting weeks and lost revenue waiting for the system to come back. One think thou...whomever does and comes up with a backup and/or alternate system for these dealerships will get a bunch of $$$.
Old 06-29-2024, 02:15 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yes its affected a bunch of dealers across the US...CDK haked and affecting service sales, financing, and even parts tracking. Folks say many dealers have gone back to pen and paper and excell to track deals and run numbers by hand and then will have to put everything in the system when it comes back up. Latest news cast I saw on tv this AM said dealers expect maybe to be back up in some form partially by end of month. Ransom was like 15 million asked...but CDK company will likely pay it cause the dealership network is loosing that almost daily in lost sales and delays.

On a brighter note some say may be good time to get a deal from dealers who are willing to do a deal by hand to get the sale and business vs waiting weeks and lost revenue waiting for the system to come back. One think thou...whomever does and comes up with a backup and/or alternate system for these dealerships will get a bunch of $$$.
So in other words, while these businesses are being robbed of their livelihoods by Russian criminals, why not look to take advantage of them and the very difficult situation they are struggling with to score a "better deal" for yourself.

Nice.

Old 06-29-2024, 02:36 PM
patgilm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ironman88
So in other words, while these businesses are being robbed of their livelihoods by Russian criminals, why not look to take advantage of them and the very difficult situation they are struggling with to score a "better deal" for yourself.

Nice.
To be fair, how many of these dealers were marking up cars way over sticker the last few years? Not all but I’m sure many did and still do.
Tedster (07-02-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 03:11 PM
On_Your_Left
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice.
*laughs in ADM*
Old 06-29-2024, 03:44 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
To be fair, how many of these dealers were marking up cars way over sticker the last few years? Not all but I’m sure many did and still do.
You bring up a good point. Certainly there were dealers that took and will take full advantage of any and every situation to the detriment of a customer.

But there were other dealers I think that may have marked cars up because they couldn't get any inventory.

The local Porsche dealer here never has marked cars up over list, even when inventory was scarce.

I think the point is that situations differ - some dealers having integrity and others of course not.

Old 06-29-2024, 04:44 PM
patgilm
Intermediate

You bring up a good point. Certainly there were dealers that took and will take full advantage of any and every situation to the detriment of a customer.

But there were other dealers I think that may have marked cars up because they couldn't get any inventory.

The local Porsche dealer here never has marked cars up over list, even when inventory was scarce.

I think the point is that situations differ - some dealers having integrity and others of course not.
From what I understand any Penske dealer does not mark up cars and if caught by Penske employees will get in trouble. I was talking with the dealer I am working with about availability of GT cars and he said they can’t mark up cars over MSRP but they sell a watch or something else and mark that up $30,000, I didn’t love that and look ar that no different.

He did say they get screwed by customers who will buy a GT car and promise not to flip it and then Porsche calls them and lets them know the buyer indeed flipped it right away because they track it and Porsche doesn’t love that either.
Old 06-29-2024, 05:54 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 468 Posts

No one said robbing them while they are being targeted...but when you trade a vehicle in and then see same said vehicle listed at a signficant amount over what said dealer said they had available to give you on a trade...it makes one have a little less sympathy for these dealers and their losses. Especially knowing they will most likely give you as little possible to maximize their profits on most deals. Not talking just ADMs either here. Understand profit is good and what they're in business for but when it comes at the point of the customer and a fair deal then that's where it gets to be greed and unreasonable.

And to be exact I was not referring to raping or low balling any dealer with an outrageous deal but ifI was looking for a vehicle and said dealer was having issues with CDS rather than wait for the system to come up and allow things to proceed I would make an aggressive offer to do a deal via paperwork only for a bit more of a discount or say an extended warranty for them to move a car which otherwise would sit on the lot till this hack is over.
Palantir (06-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Ransomware attack on dealer system