Sponsored By:

Ceramic brake pads on stock rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 10:38 AM
Tbounds
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Ceramic brake pads on stock rotors

Does Porsche sell ceramic pads that work on standard brakes . I am tired of all the brake dust . It is my wife’s car and she is not driving spirited , but still don’t want unsafe or less braking . I know there are many non porches ceramics .
if you have done this swap please do tell
Old 06-24-2024, 12:37 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,452 Likes on 1,553 Posts

Porsche does not.

However, EBS Red Stuff, will cut the dust by 80% and you will give up 5 to 10% in stopping distances. I put them on my wife's Audi SQ5 and she was OK with the less responsive braking as a trade off for low dust. Not sure if they make them for a late model Cayenne, you'll have to dig into it.

https://www.ebcbrakes.com/technical_...ic-brake-pads/
Old 06-24-2024, 03:17 AM
ThomasWShea
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 342 Posts

that is quite the trade off. i watch a lot of dash cam and crash videos on youtube. i don’t know that i would want to make that trade, but i also live in a place with many inattentive drivers, which imo increases everyone’s chance of a collision. in my area they say ur chance of an accident is 100% for any given 5 year period. that was years ago that i heard that. it is probably even higher now.
Old 06-24-2024, 09:49 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
that is quite the trade off. i watch a lot of dash cam and crash videos on youtube. i don’t know that i would want to make that trade, but i also live in a place with many inattentive drivers, which imo increases everyone’s chance of a collision. in my area they say ur chance of an accident is 100% for any given 5 year period. that was years ago that i heard that. it is probably even higher now.
Which is why Porsche doesn’t offer them, they refuse to compromise safety. Ceramic low-dust pads will not stop as well as the factory semi-metallics and you absolutely do not want them on your car for a track day as don’t do well with high heat and will have unacceptable wear and possible failure when used at a HPDE event.

porsche has a low dust, performance brake system, the PCCB’s, but few want to pay for that option.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasWShea (06-25-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 10:11 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Porsche does not.

However, EBS Red Stuff, will cut the dust by 80% and you will give up 5 to 10% in stopping distances. I put them on my wife's Audi SQ5 and she was OK with the less responsive braking as a trade off for low dust. Not sure if they make them for a late model Cayenne, you'll have to dig into it.

https://www.ebcbrakes.com/technical_...ic-brake-pads/
I have a hard time accepting the 5-10% degradation in braking. As I understand it, the brakes on any Porsche are traction limited, meaning the tires are the biggest determiner of braking distances. With the ceramic pads, I assume you mean the initial bite would be less. Or are you saying that these pads will no longer be capable of triggering anti-lock brakes?
The following 2 users liked this post by ranger22:
black04 (06-24-2024), toma nova (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 10:29 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ranger22
I have a hard time accepting the 5-10% degradation in braking. As I understand it, the brakes on any Porsche are traction limited, meaning the tires are the biggest determiner of braking distances. With the ceramic pads, I assume you mean the initial bite would be less. Or are you saying that these pads will no longer be capable of triggering anti-lock brakes?
Ceramic pads are a trade off. You are giving up stopping distance and heat resistance for lower to no brake dust, this is well known, actually. They will absolutely work your anti-locks.

to some degree tire traction affects stopping distances, but it’s an integrated system of rotor size, pad contact surface area, pad torque capability and resistance to heat. I don’t have any data numbers on that, but several years ago when I was Instructing at events regularly, I would install not only R-compound tires on my car but a dedicated set of track rotors and more aggressive pads for the weekend that would rattle and dust like mad, but sure would stop the car. I would get home, put the car on the lift and, then swap it all back to street tire, stock pads and rotors Sunday night. Yes, the car stopped far better!

one thing I asked my students before we went out was if they had low dust ceramic brake pads on their car. If they said yes, then I would refuse to ride along as it was my life at risk. I saw too many ceramic pad failures on track days as heat built into them and the brakes failed or the pads chunked away. Twenty five years of Instructing…you learn.

thats not to say they are hazardous for street use, they’re not. But you vehicle won’t stop as quickly, either. Say for example your Porsche stops in 150 feet from a given speed with factory pads. With low dust ceramics that same stop will now be 160 to 165 feet. For low speed drivers like my wife, she was willing to accept that for low brake dust (and she noticed ithe increased stopping distance and softer bite, too). Just be aware they won’t perform like factory semi-metallics.

brakes are worth studying, because the fastest way to improve your lap times is to change out your brakes after you put high-stick tires on the car. You can cut 2 seconds off your lap times with a brake upgrade vs adding more power via engine mods is only good for 1/2 to 1 second for say 50 hp more. Porsche does a great job with factory brakes, they find a balance of high stopping power without squealing like a pig or rattling like marbles in a bucket, or requiring heat in the pads for torque bite. But you can’t get that and low dust….unless you go to pccbs

Last edited by drcollie; 06-24-2024 at 10:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tedster (06-25-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 12:03 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 213 Posts

Ceramic pad failure on a track versus stopping distance on the street are two different things.

The "more aggressive" pads and/or rotors for track are simply compounds that withstand the heat buildup better. They are typically harder pads and lack the initial bite until they are really hot. The rotors are thicker or vented in some way to absorb or dissipate heat better. Street pads are comparatively softer and offer more initial bite without the heat buildup seen on track. Seems odd to me that these ceramic pads would offer neither initial bite nor heat resistance, but I admit to not having any experience with ceramic pads on the standard iron rotors.

I'm used to running track pads all the time. They don't really squeal too bad on my Porsches, but my old M3 was hilarious. I made sport out of timing my brake squeals with the person next to me in stop and go traffic and watch them start panicking because their brakes are squealing and there's no way that new BMW would squeal that bad.

Last edited by ranger22; 06-24-2024 at 12:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Ceramic brake pads on stock rotors