Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2023 Cayenne GTS, annoying problems, qualify for lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 05:34 PM
joinauto
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2023 Cayenne GTS, annoying problems, qualify for lemon?

Bought my first Porsche based on its reputation for reliability and handling. Custom built Cayenne GTS with all performance options. Love the handling and exhaust note.

But, over the past year of ownership, there have been many small problems with the car. Definitely not something I would expect.

Engine check light: check light turned on shortly after the first year service, maybe it has something to do with their service, but they wouldn't admit it
Burning engine oil: happened on the 8th month
Surround camera: sometimes went partially or all black, cannot reproduce every time, but happens more often during wet weather, really annoying when parking
Squeaking sun shade: developed the noise recently
Coolant running low: happened twice, never on my previous cars
Chasis system fault: showed up one morning last week, in shop for a fix now
Faint whistling noise when driving: visited dealership three times, and they could not identify the problem. In fact, they said they cannot hear the whistling noise....

The car is under warranty, so no expense incurred except the time wasted on visiting the service departments.

But I lost confidence in the car beyond warranty. Most of the problems can be fixed by the service department, but these problems happened too often. Is this normal? Does it qualify for a lemon??
Old 04-27-2024, 10:07 AM
matthewr87
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by joinauto
Bought my first Porsche based on its reputation for reliability and handling. Custom built Cayenne GTS with all performance options. Love the handling and exhaust note.

But, over the past year of ownership, there have been many small problems with the car. Definitely not something I would expect.

Engine check light: check light turned on shortly after the first year service, maybe it has something to do with their service, but they wouldn't admit it
Burning engine oil: happened on the 8th month
Surround camera: sometimes went partially or all black, cannot reproduce every time, but happens more often during wet weather, really annoying when parking
Squeaking sun shade: developed the noise recently
Coolant running low: happened twice, never on my previous cars
Chasis system fault: showed up one morning last week, in shop for a fix now
Faint whistling noise when driving: visited dealership three times, and they could not identify the problem. In fact, they said they cannot hear the whistling noise....

The car is under warranty, so no expense incurred except the time wasted on visiting the service departments.

But I lost confidence in the car beyond warranty. Most of the problems can be fixed by the service department, but these problems happened too often. Is this normal? Does it qualify for a lemon??
FWIW oil consumption by the V8 engines is considered normal by Porsche as long as it doesn't exceed ~1 qt per 1000 miles. My wife's 2022 GTS consumes 1 qt every 3000 miles or so. Squeaks and rattles are also common with these cars; wife's GTS has a really annoying squeak in the driver's seat back rest. Her car also has a faint whistling noise under light throttle (not sure if that is what you were referring to in your post). The coolant level also dropped below the minimum level once in 22000 miles.

The dealership should be able to tell you what the check engine light code was to identify the issue.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:39 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Mine definitely goes through a quart every 2000 miles or so, ias stated it’s normal on these engines. These cars are made in a VW plant in Brattslava, just sayin’…..
Old 04-27-2024, 05:49 PM
golftime
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

I am not an expert on lemon laws but what you have provided does not seem close to qualifying for a lemon law buyback. You seem to answer your own question when you say most of these problems can be fixed by the dealer. I believe all the lemon laws require the dealer to have a fair opportunity to fix any problems.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:47 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 230 Posts

you are not even close to lemon law. for ur state there will be a legal definition that probably includes an exact number of days in the shop within a period of time. with a loaner i am not sure the days in the shop will qualify you. but basically, like 3 people get cars returned under lemon law in a year. i am exaggerating that figure but the idea to convey is that you are extremely unlikely to qualify for lemon law. plus you will find judge sympathy toward luxury car owners is going to be exceedingly low - besides that you probably agreed to arbitration and the arbiters are imo biased toward the dealers. you could talk to a lawyer, but the easier path might be a heartfelt convo w the service manager. if that doesn’t work go thru porsche and press to get connected w a rep. the reps oversee dealers and they are the ones that have all the power to get a dealer to do something or to comp something. i also might go to another dealer if you don’t get a good feeling after talking to the service manager at ur dealer. they may voluntarily give you a good deal on a trade if u we’re interested in that.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 04-27-2024 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:43 AM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
you are not even close to lemon law. for ur state there will be a legal definition that probably includes an exact number of days in the shop within a period of time. with a loaner i am not sure the days in the shop will qualify you. but basically, like 3 people get cars returned under lemon law in a year. i am exaggerating that figure but the idea to convey is that you are extremely unlikely to qualify for lemon law. plus you will find judge sympathy toward luxury car owners is going to be exceedingly low - besides that you probably agreed to arbitration and the arbiters are imo biased toward the dealers. you could talk to a lawyer, but the easier path might be a heartfelt convo w the service manager. if that doesn’t work go thru porsche and press to get connected w a rep. the reps oversee dealers and they are the ones that have all the power to get a dealer to do something or to comp something. i also might go to another dealer if you don’t get a good feeling after talking to the service manager at ur dealer. they may voluntarily give you a good deal on a trade if u we’re interested in that.
Agree, and add: Porsche has a customer service rep (P USA) that will help, if the dealer can't. My result was very acceptable.

Quick Reply: 2023 Cayenne GTS, annoying problems, qualify for lemon?