Sponsored By:

Clicking noise while charging dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 08:36 PM
Andy2019
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clicking noise while charging dead battery

I am charging a dead battery after my cayenne was just sitting there for 4 months without driving so the battery was completely dead.

So I bought a battery charger and hooked it up in the front hood terminals to charge the battery.

I hear a constant clicking noise under the steering wheel and also same clicking noise near rear booth passenger side

should I stop charging or let it charge with the clicking noise on
Old 03-26-2024, 09:41 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,592 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Your battery probably isn’t dead. When the voltage dropped below 11 volts, the internal battery management system (BMS) disconnected the internal battery cells from the external posts on the battery. In other words, it put the battery to sleep to prevent damage caused by severe under voltage. A battery charger likely will not wake up the battery. You need to jump start or boost the battery so that the BMS reconnects. The BMS needs high amperage to reconnect and wake up.

You’ll know that it reconnects when the instrument panel springs to life. If the car was locked when the battery went to sleep, your alarm will also go off. Be ready with your key fob to disarm the alarm.

Only when the BMS has awakened can you use a charger to charge the battery.

Last edited by Schnave; 03-26-2024 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:00 PM
Andy2019
Intermediate

I tried to jump start it but all it did was spit out a bunch of error messages on the dash board saying battery low and these errors.

and the park brake error would not let me put it in drive to drive it and charge it.

Vehicle electrical system error

Engine run required for electricity
Vehicle system error

Electric parking brake error

Drive distribution system failure

A lot of people were saying to use a trickle charger so I bought this charger and had no luck with it.

It did not charge since it’s a completely dead battery.

Porsche dealership is 2 hours away.
I would take it to them if the battery is under warranty.
its 2019 Porsche, so prolly not under warranty.

Is there anything I can tell the Porsche dealership so they warranty the battery.

We went overseas for 4 months and came back and battery is dead.

A normal person who buys a Porsche don’t know to use trickle charger to maintain the battery while going overseas.

My Lexus starts up every time even after one year of non-use and this crap can’t even maintain a charge after 4 months.

Dont know what to do.

Hell don’t want to pay $2300 for a new battery like most people saying.

Thats ridiculous.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:14 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,592 Likes on 1,366 Posts

This must be very frustrating. I understand.

Try jumping it again and running it for a while. Those errors are likely caused by the low battery. They will probably clear once the battery charges. I had many of those error messages when I jumped my dead battery.

There is also a chance the battery may not charge and you’ll need a new battery. Read the battery sticky on this forum. It has good information about the battery and discusses the trickle chargers and how they won’t wake a battery. More recent posts discuss converting to a regular AGM battery for about $500.

Last edited by Schnave; 03-26-2024 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:57 AM
Frobisher
4th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Something that occurred to me tonight that I thought I should post so no one else as stupid as me comes to the conclusion I might’ve come to. I thought that having a battery starter in small case form that I left in my frunk would be OK to use in case my battery went dead. Here’s the, bad part, if you leave the battery starter or battery charger in your frunk, and your battery goes dead, you will not be able to access your battery starter or battery charger in order to use the clip in the fuse box to open the frunk!. Kind of a catch 22 in reverse ,… keep your battery starter or charger somewhere in the car so if you’re on the road and you leave your car in a parking lot and come back to a dead battery you’ll be able to get into the trunk and charge your battery or start it. Don’t leave it in the frunk !
frobisher publitzky. a/k/a Boi Toi
Old 03-27-2024, 05:13 AM
Andy2019
Intermediate

What I learned…

Most battery chargers don’t charge a completely dead battery.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:24 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 375 Likes on 279 Posts

story in the same vein so you don’t feel alone: a year and a half ago, the young guy that parks next to me with a 2012 audi Q5 got a bunch of miss fire error codes. he was so stressed out about the cost of the fix and he thought it needed new cam shafts etc, he let the car sit until last week. I told him at the time: don’t let it sit without a battery maintainer, it will die, they don’t design these cars to sit. anyway, he let it sit and it died. we yanked the battery, and I told him to charge it outside the car on a couple wood blocks for a full day. he charged it a couple hours and put it back in. It didn’t work. so I took the battery and charged it for a couple days w a slow charge. then disconnected it, tested it, waited a day and tested it again and it held the charge. he took the car to the dealer and got new coils and plus and some fluid changes. 1900$. it wasn’t that bad. the dealer checked the batt and said it was fine. he got lucky.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:38 PM
Feuille
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave
Your battery probably isn’t dead. When the voltage dropped below 11 volts, the internal battery management system (BMS) disconnected the internal battery cells from the external posts on the battery. In other words, it put the battery to sleep to prevent damage caused by severe under voltage. A battery charger likely will not wake up the battery. You need to jump start or boost the battery so that the BMS reconnects. The BMS needs high amperage to reconnect and wake up.

You’ll know that it reconnects when the instrument panel springs to life. If the car was locked when the battery went to sleep, your alarm will also go off. Be ready with your key fob to disarm the alarm.

Only when the BMS has awakened can you use a charger to charge the battery.
So what did you end up doing? I am in the exact same boat as you are. Plugged a charger and it's making the same noise you described.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:22 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy2019
I am charging a dead battery after my cayenne was just sitting there for 4 months without driving so the battery was completely dead.

So I bought a battery charger and hooked it up in the front hood terminals to charge the battery.

I hear a constant clicking noise under the steering wheel and also same clicking noise near rear booth passenger side

You did not stated what type of battery your Cayenne model has( AGM, LiFePO4 Lithium) and what type of charger you were using to charge it.

Old 06-16-2024, 10:42 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Similar issue with mine after sitting and traveling for work the last 6 weeks. Will update when I have more info.
Old 06-20-2024, 02:05 PM
rl2102
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy2019

Im on a similar issue. Did you leave the charger on while it was clicking? Did the clicking eventually stopped? Was there any damage if i leave it charged? TIA

Quick Reply: Clicking noise while charging dead battery