Sponsored By:

OEM Front Plate Instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 11:30 AM
aututto
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default OEM Front Plate Instructions?

Does anyone have the instructions for installing an OEM front plate bracket? It seems fairly simple with the 4 holes and push pins, but there is a peg sticking out in the middle that doesn't allow the bracket to sit flush. Unsure if I should clip it off or if instructions say to drill a whole for it as well.
Old 06-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by aututto
Does anyone have the instructions for installing an OEM front plate bracket? It seems fairly simple with the 4 holes and push pins, but there is a peg sticking out in the middle that doesn't allow the bracket to sit flush. Unsure if I should clip it off or if instructions say to drill a whole for it as well.
I installed a front plate bracket using 3M mounting tape. That way I can remove it without ANY holes being drilled. I do believe that you're supposed to drill a fifth hole for that peg, but I trimmed it off so that the bracket could sit flush and be taped on.

Normally I just mount the plate to the bumper with tape itself and forgo the bracket but on our '23 with Sport Design front fasica, that wasn't looking too good. So I just sucked it up and used the bracket. I suggest you do the same...no need to permanently mar your bumper.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:02 PM
aututto
Advanced

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I installed a front plate bracket using 3M mounting tape. That way I can remove it without ANY holes being drilled. I do believe that you're supposed to drill a fifth hole for that peg, but I trimmed it off so that the bracket could sit flush and be taped on.

Normally I just mount the plate to the bumper with tape itself and forgo the bracket but on our '23 with Sport Design front fasica, that wasn't looking too good. So I just sucked it up and used the bracket. I suggest you do the same...no need to permanently mar your bumper.
Well I've got plenty of mounting tape, I'll give it a try. Thanks! I would say its not worth marring up, but we have enough rock chips down there i'm not concerned with drilling if I end up having to.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (06-19-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 04:02 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 425 Likes on 312 Posts

front plate isn’t needed now days. i had no plates front or rear for 5 months, due to WA dragging their heels on the registration paperwork. cops directly behind me many times, never got stopped. i am waiting for show n sto to make a 2024 front bracket. only reason i want that is to ease crossing the border or in the event i need to drive onto a military base.
Tedster (06-19-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 04:46 PM
DubDub12
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
front plate isn’t needed now days. i had no plates front or rear for 5 months, due to WA dragging their heels on the registration paperwork. cops directly behind me many times, never got stopped. i am waiting for show n sto to make a 2024 front bracket. only reason i want that is to ease crossing the border or in the event i need to drive onto a military base.
Sto and Sho makes a 2024 TGT bracket. I ordered one that was supposed to work (3M tape and it fell off). The new one which they replaced at no cost leverages the existing 2 screws at the bottom of the front bumper. Super easy and they were great to work with.

If they don’t have one for a S or Base still - I’d suggest reaching out to them to see if they’ll measure and make one. Took about 2 weeks on mine.

https://stonsho.com/products/front-l...gt-coupesns375
Old 06-18-2024, 08:35 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DubDub12
Sto and Sho makes a 2024 TGT bracket. I ordered one that was supposed to work (3M tape and it fell off). The new one which they replaced at no cost leverages the existing 2 screws at the bottom of the front bumper. Super easy and they were great to work with.

If they don’t have one for a S or Base still - I’d suggest reaching out to them to see if they’ll measure and make one. Took about 2 weeks on mine.

yeah i have a base coupe. i reached out twice, and the way the person sounded emailing me, they want the car in person to make one. i'm in seattle so that wasn't going to work. my impression was that w the sto and sho you still needed to use fasteners to attach it. the fasteners are going up into unpainted plastic, and not thru painted bumper skin though.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasWShea:
DubDub12 (06-18-2024), MAXFPS (06-19-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 10:17 PM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If you are in California there is an easy solution.
ThomasWShea (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 10:46 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

i love that solution. wish it would come online in other states.
Old 06-19-2024, 12:15 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by DubDub12

I second the Sto and Sho option.opthave been using it since 2019, and didn't need to drill into the bumper..

I go through the carwash every week, woth no issues.

There are several posts ddiscussing this and other options..
Old 06-19-2024, 08:50 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a sly brackets front plate mount. It hooks into the grill.Picked up my Cayenne from a no front plate state and did not want to drill the bumper. The Rennline tow hole bracket that I had on my 2016 blocked some of the sensors.
Old 06-19-2024, 10:30 AM
aututto
Advanced

I'm likely a bit of an odd man out but I like front plates on big SUV's, the front end is too large/wide and needs something to break it up a little. I would go with a sly option but the OEM is likely best for me, plus with 80k miles the front end has seen enough highway use I'm ok with drilling holes.

The california plate sticker is...interesting. To each their own, I'm sure it looks good on cars with a large front plate spot. But to me, that looks like a bad bumper sticker on the cayenne, I'd rather just run a plate. Again to each their own!
Old 06-19-2024, 11:35 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 220 Posts

I skip the front plate altogether. If I get a few tickets I might figure something out.

But in 6 years of not running front plates on a couple 911s, and a half year with a Cayenne, I was only ever stopped once, by a town cop a few towns from me, and was just given a verbal warning about it. Plenty of cops have seen it; but they don’t seem to care. Even got a speeding ticket a year ago in a 911 and he didn’t give me a second ticket for the lack of front plate.

If I am forced to mount a plate, I’ll look into using magnets inside the bumper and a plate bracket, which is how some folks were mounting front plates in their 991 generation 911s. Gotta remove the bumper, but it’s a super clean look and can be instantly mounted and dismounted. There’s an old thread on how to do it in the 991 section.
Old 06-19-2024, 02:10 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

Does anyone know if the Turbo front bumper is different than non-Turbo? GTS is different.
I was trying to find an OEM bracket on Ebay.
Suncoast shows a different bracket and updated part number from the multiple sellers on eBay. I wonder if they updated the design.
Old 06-19-2024, 03:03 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3Series
Does anyone know if the Turbo front bumper is different than non-Turbo? GTS is different.
I was trying to find an OEM bracket on Ebay.
Suncoast shows a different bracket and updated part number from the multiple sellers on eBay. I wonder if they updated the design.
i know there are differences between trims, but i don’t know every detail.
Old 06-19-2024, 07:37 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 560 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by craig001
I have a sly brackets front plate mount. It hooks into the grill.Picked up my Cayenne from a no front plate state and did not want to drill the bumper. The Rennline tow hole bracket that I had on my 2016 blocked some of the sensors.

I have the Sly Bracket on my G63 and very happy with it. I would have gone that route on my Cayenne if it didn’t already have the OEM plate mount

Quick Reply: OEM Front Plate Instructions?