Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Porsche Can't Sell Most Of Its Cars In The U.S. Right Now Because It Buys Chips From

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 12:31 AM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
It is probably ECU swap. Easy max 10 minutes job. 2 bolts and 4-5 plugs. don't worry.
It’s a 135k Cayenne S that’s at a minimum sat at the port, outside, for months. Even if the port work is perfect, this thing will show up with rough paint, having eaten salty sea air for a while. Just a bit expensive for that kind of experience I feel.

I’ll try to browse used Turbos instead, I did have a few trips to do with the V8 car now, not in 3 months. Meanwhile if it magically shows up but looks rough at delivery I think we might walk anyways, it’s not some lifelong dream gt3rs it’s just a Cayenne.
The following users liked this post:
pgap718 (03-26-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 02:34 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
It’s a 135k Cayenne S that’s at a minimum sat at the port, outside, for months. Even if the port work is perfect, this thing will show up with rough paint, having eaten salty sea air for a while. Just a bit expensive for that kind of experience I feel.

I’ll try to browse used Turbos instead, I did have a few trips to do with the V8 car now, not in 3 months. Meanwhile if it magically shows up but looks rough at delivery I think we might walk anyways, it’s not some lifelong dream gt3rs it’s just a Cayenne.
the transit for these cars is nearly all ocean & port based so sea air abounds. my understanding is even a year at a port and in transit should not matter the cars are protected. it isn’t naked paint with salt water mist washing over them. my guess is you would not know if u didn’t know. bought my car mid nov. it was in transit aug till oct. then sat outside on the dealer’s lot for a month before i came along. by the time i showed it it was all shiny in the showroom for delivery. not even one visible water drop. i got it ceramic coated and it gleamed even more.
one drive in the rain will do more damage than 6 months sitting at port.
Old 02-14-2024, 11:30 AM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, my '22 sat at port for a long time and then the dealer's lot outside waiting for the amp to come in - measured in months. Very frustrating.

I was more concerned with the dealer lot with all the car shuffling taking place as inventory came and went.

After dealer prep, the paint needed a little TLC. No physical damage that I could detect. Dealer prep was fine.

Just have the car paint corrected, detailed, coated and PPF after you take delivery by a company you trust.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:01 PM
whistler80
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

So the story has broken in the MSM and it's not Belarus the parts are coming from but 'Western China' and they are breaching 'anti forced labour laws' This just published in the Financial Times

Last edited by whistler80; 02-14-2024 at 05:22 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by whistler80:
mdrobc1213 (02-15-2024), PorscheACC (02-14-2024), Schnave (02-14-2024), ThomasWShea (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 06:23 PM
retom
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by whistler80
So the story has broken in the MSM and it's not Belarus the parts are coming from but 'Western China' and they are breaching 'anti forced labour laws' This just published in the Financial Times

This would explain why this ban doesn't concern European market.
The following 2 users liked this post by retom:
mdrobc1213 (02-15-2024), whistler80 (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 06:26 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

i can’t access this article anyway to print it to a pdf and attach it to a post?
Old 02-14-2024, 06:29 PM
whistler80
Advanced

Wink

Happy to oblige, PDF of article attached
The following 3 users liked this post by whistler80:
mnorek (02-15-2024), retom (02-14-2024), ThomasWShea (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 06:34 PM
whistler80
Advanced

Key paragraphs....

Thousands of Porsche, Bentley and Audi cars have been impounded in US ports after a supplier to parent group Volkswagen found a Chinese subcomponent in the vehicles that breached anti-forced labour laws.

According to two people with knowledge of the matter, the carmaker has delayed delivery of the vehicles until as late as the end of March as it replaces an electronic component that was found to have come from “western China”.

US Porsche, Bentley and Audi imports held up over banned Chinese part

The people stressed that VW was not aware of the origin of the part, which was sourced by an indirect supplier further down its supply chain, until the supplier alerted it to the issue.

They added that VW notified US authorities as soon as it was made aware of the part’s origin.

The issue affects about 1,000 Porsche sports cars and SUVs, several hundred Bentleys, and several thousand Audi vehicles, according to people briefed on the details.

In a statement, VW said it “takes allegations of infringements of human rights very seriously, both within the company and in the supply chain” including “any allegations of forced labour”.

It added: “As soon as we received information of allegations regarding one of our sub-suppliers, we have been investigating the matter. We will clarify the facts and then take appropriate steps. These may also include the termination of a supplier relationship if our investigations confirm serious violations.”

In mid-January, VW discovered that some of its luxury cars bound for North America contained a part that was not compliant with US customs rules, two people with knowledge of the matter said.

The part had been sourced by a supplier further down the company’s supply chain and not by VW directly, according to the people. Typically carmakers deal directly with their largest suppliers and may sometimes be unaware of the provenance of smaller parts produced by other businesses further down the supply chain.

A letter from VW to waiting customers blamed “a small electronic component that is a part of a larger control unit, which will be replaced”, but did not specify the origin of the part.

With the approval of US customs authorities, the company ordered replacement electronic modules, and had already begun fixing cars, two people said. While some were fixed last week, the backlog is unlikely to be cleared until at least next month.

Swapping the modules is relatively straightforward and does not require the disassembly of the vehicles, although some more complicated models might take several hours to fix, according to people with knowledge of the process.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
lubo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In mid-January, VW discovered that some of its luxury cars bound for North America contained a part that was not compliant with US customs rules, two people with knowledge of the matter said.
I have a Cayenne s coupe on order that was built at the end of January, so this makes me wonder whether or not it was built with the non-compliant part if this issue was discovered mid-January (and if they discovered it mid-January, why it was)..

Anyway, my vehicle has been sitting at the Emden port since 2/2 (doesn’t seem bad compared to others). Prior to arriving at the port, I was seeing an ETA early-mid march (don’t remember lol). Since its arrival, all future steps have changed to “not scheduled.” I did, however, speak to someone at Porsche who could see an estimated delivery early-mid April on their end.

I’ve also received no communication from my dealer regarding this delay—only the email from PCNA (subject: “News about the arrival date of your Porsche Cayenne”) that noted a “small electronic component” being at issue.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:16 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

a car at the port on the european end isn’t yet subject to what is going w the U.S. “hold” so they are probably just holding it there in europe to keep the number of cars that are on the U.S. that are “stuck” down to the min.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:51 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 452 Posts

Likely so...Porsche would normally substitute the new chip they have sourced that meet the US import standards into any US bound car to be able to continue production as that is least costly than stopping the production line...while simultaneously trying to get a handle on how many cars are already on US soil that are affected and simultaneously source supply to retrofit and fix those vehicles for release for sale. At the same time another batch of cars are those in Emden waiting to be shipped also and they will need chips and fixes as well as those already delivered. That will be a later recall most likely. Biggest logistical nightmare part will be finding approved chips and getting them into whatever componenets that they need to be to make the cars compliant. If supply is on hand...good..if not then may take a few weeks but usually can increase production and such to do so. Then the logistical dance to get them to the cars and installation which may vary depending on the model.

So not envious as far as place for Porsche to be but for most manufacturers who do practice just in time production it is doeable...just not ideal, likely costly and definitely not fun for the VW Group overall. Rinse and repeat it by a few more thousand other cars (Bentley, etc) and yes this will be fun and so I can see why many cars had release dates pushed to what seems to be simiilar timeframes (mine went to 28 Jun 2024 from an early May delivery originally) as somebody smarter than me who has more intel at Porsche has determined that 45-60 days will be what is required for said part to find my car wherever it is and the two to be mated and then delivery to me can proceed. When that happens...will be there and ready for my Cayenne S e hybrid as I ordered it and enjoy the car..

PS I do expect though that other down range ramifications will likely occur with said independent supplier (to include contract termination) and even legal recoupment if proven that was done willfully or with knowledge of the rules and requirements. Also would not be surprise for another manufacturer to announce a similar problem since these chips are so widespread in all vehicles now.a days...likely that is already ongoing...
Old 02-15-2024, 06:26 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 779 Likes on 288 Posts

@mdrobc1213 Please share spec of your S E-Hybrid Coupe.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:22 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patriot
@mdrobc1213 Please share spec of your S E-Hybrid Coupe.
. Pre Freeze build was this.https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR9PRJ97

Old 02-15-2024, 11:38 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

At least it is now out in the open...another article. Noted it says some cars are already fixed!

https://www.motortrend.com/news/vw-g...campaign=print

Quick Reply: Porsche Can't Sell Most Of Its Cars In The U.S. Right Now Because It Buys Chips From