Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Porsche Can't Sell Most Of Its Cars In The U.S. Right Now Because It Buys Chips From

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 05:26 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 336 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Porsche Can't Sell Most Of Its Cars In The U.S. Right Now Because It Buys Chips From

Does anybody know about this Porsche issue.?

Porsche Can't Sell Most Of Its Cars In The U.S. Right Now Because It Buys Chips From Belarus: Report [Update: Porsche Says It Isn't Belarus]

Anyone who currently has a new 911, Cayenne, Panamera, or Taycan on a boat is going to be waiting for at least an extra month or more while Porsche deploys and installs the necessary non-sanctioned chips. According to a source who wished to remain anonymous, many of the cars will be re-routed to other countries, and U.S. customers will need to wait for their cars to be rebuilt entirely.

https://jalopnik.com/porsche-cant-sell-most-of-its-cars-in-the-u-s-right-no-1851235453

Last edited by PorscheACC; 02-08-2024 at 05:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasWShea (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 06:02 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 214 Posts

I’m surprised that industry reporters like CNBC’s Phil LeBeau haven’t picked up on this yet.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:24 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 278 Posts

yeah it sure is fascinating. are we talking about a real issue or a fake issue that is political? i seriously would be curious to know since my car probably has one of these same chips and i am driving it now. if they don’t swap the chip in my car, then i feel like it is simply political (i.e. a fake issue / virtue signal) w no real risk.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:05 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 704 Likes on 492 Posts

I wonder if Canadian cars are experiencing the same delay? If not, then the import restrictions on the chip for cars destined for the USA seems a plausible explanation. Good catch for US customs. Why send cash to Lukashenko.
The following users liked this post:
MaxLTV (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 03:04 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

This sounds extremely weird. Buying chips from Belarus makes only marginally more sense than buying chips from North Korea - the country is not making any innovative tech in the field and has no significant production capacity, is a highly unreliable source due to internal tensions and russian influence, and is getting progressively more sanctioned every year. It was also allegedly involved in several major government-sponsored spyware attacks through email and Excell and Powerpoint macros among other things, so even just opening an email or document from a Belarussian supplier would be some questionable judgement. It does not seem accurate, and if it is accurate, someone at Porsche needs a common sense prosthetic.

(did not mean to dump on Belarus - hope they find their way to freedom soon).
Old 02-09-2024, 04:08 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
yeah it sure is fascinating. are we talking about a real issue or a fake issue that is political? i seriously would be curious to know since my car probably has one of these same chips and i am driving it now. if they don’t swap the chip in my car, then i feel like it is simply political (i.e. a fake issue / virtue signal) w no real risk.
From what I understand, the import approval comes with an associated time period to import the device. If that's true, your car has the part that was imported while the approval was in effect.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:54 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
From what I understand, the import approval comes with an associated time period to import the device. If that's true, your car has the part that was imported while the approval was in effect.
Then there is no material difference in the part in my car, and the part in a car stuck on the dock? I am honestly trying to understand.
Old 02-09-2024, 06:43 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

I got an e-mail today says:"We are writing to inform you that your car has unfortunately been delayed in its journey through the ports to your Porsche Center

At issue is a small electronic component that is a part of a larger control unit, which will be replaced. The work itself is straightforward and parts have begun to arrive in the US already. We expect that your car will begin its journey to your Porsche Center soon.
We appreciate your patience and understanding and apologize for the necessary and unavoidable delay. Looking ahead, our priority will be providing you with further updates as new information becomes available."

Is this the same issue?
Old 02-09-2024, 06:49 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

I mean I really don't love a brand new car being messed with at the port by some hackjob mercenary port mechanic - a bit inclined to just not take delivery of the car honestly.

My S was built back in November, it had original delivery targets as early as late Dec early Jan - I forgot what I built at this point
Old 02-09-2024, 07:45 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by erko1905
I mean I really don't love a brand new car being messed with at the port by some hackjob mercenary port mechanic - a bit inclined to just not take delivery of the car honestly.

My S was built back in November, it had original delivery targets as early as late Dec early Jan - I forgot what I built at this point
I watched a long documentary on roll on roll off vessel and port activities related to vehicle delivery. the rate of damage in the port and transit processes is exceedingly low. transport to the dealer and dealer delivery prep is where most damage occurs. the port workers doing to work on your car are dedicated to porsche, I believe they work for porsche. they are not the port workers who move the cars on and off the vessels.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:41 PM
donsladek
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

erko1905 -
Did you receive this e-mail directly from Porsche, or from your dealer? My Cayenne is at the Emden port, and I haven't heard if it will be updated there or at the US port in Baltimore?

Last edited by donsladek; 02-10-2024 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added info
Old 02-10-2024, 01:43 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
Then there is no material difference in the part in my car, and the part in a car stuck on the dock? I am honestly trying to understand.
That's my understanding. A part is either importable or not depending on the approvals in place at the time of importation.
Old 02-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by donsladek
erko1905 -
Did you receive this e-mail directly from Porsche, or from your dealer? My Cayenne is at the Emden port, and I haven't heard if it will be updated there or at the US port in Baltimore?
I'll guess that the sales guy is trying to describe this:

Old 02-10-2024, 06:33 PM
retom
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905

It is probably ECU swap. Easy max 10 minutes job. 2 bolts and 4-5 plugs. don't worry.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:22 AM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by donsladek
erko1905 -
Was from Porsche directly, zero color from the dealer.

Quick Reply: Porsche Can't Sell Most Of Its Cars In The U.S. Right Now Because It Buys Chips From