Sponsored By:

Cayenne 2024 - Wireless CarPlay Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 09:44 AM
keroh
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mTuran
I've checked and mine has an IMEI number, but it shouldn't be about the IMEI.

The car has a Wi-Fi hotspot feature. Could you try to activate it and connect from your phone? This won't make CarPlay work, but we can understand whether your car can activate Wi-Fi signals due to regulations or not. Check this guide to see how to activate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-enkuoNP10
yes wifi hotspot is working..

But cant use, cause the car says i have to enable wifi and bt in order to use wireless carplay, i say yes the phone connects to car wifi, but then i have no internet cause it is connected to the car wifi that has no data .

what i see different is in my menu is : i have no option to connect to an external wifi

still, i believe that if imei is not populated, means my hardware is disabled.

and offcourse porsche latin america keeps sayin that is the navigation module, not the 5g...but who knows...
Old 01-31-2024, 09:59 AM
mTuran
Track Day

Originally Posted by keroh
yes wifi hotspot is working..

But cant use, cause the car says i have to enable wifi and bt in order to use wireless carplay, i say yes the phone connects to car wifi, but then i have no internet cause it is connected to the car wifi that has no data .

what i see different is in my menu is : i have no option to connect to an external wifi

still, i believe that if imei is not populated, means my hardware is disabled.

and offcourse porsche latin america keeps sayin that is the navigation module, not the 5g...but who knows...
If your hotspot is working and you can connect (I mean a normal Wi-Fi connection from your phone to the car, not CarPlay), that means your car is emitting Wi-Fi signals and the problem shouldn't be related to regulations. If Wi-Fi signals are not allowed due to regulations, how is it possible for the Wi-Fi hotspot to function? It doesn't make sense.

The IMEI is more about the specifications of the car, but it's not related to CarPlay; it's completely separate hardware for Porsche Connect.

Did they reset your PCM under the hood? That's what they did to my car and afterward, it started working.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:36 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 275 Posts

My assumption on wireless CarPlay connection:
It uses both the bluetooth and wifi on the phone to connect to the vehicle, however, the connection to the internet is still done via the phone's cellular radio to your phone's service provider network - the car's wifi provides no internet conductivity for CarPlay. Am I not correct?

The car:
(at least here in north America) The car itself does have its own internet connection with its own separate sim/esim and cellular radio to connect via a separate service provider. The car internet service is totally unrelated to the service provider you use for your cell phone. In the US the car's service provider is verizon wireless. Again, this is totally separate from what your phone uses. This connection is what allows porsche connect to get to the car and vice versa, and what allows some of the onboard PCM services direct internet access...services like the built in PCM interface Apple Music & Spotify. The built in services are nothing to do with CarPlay.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 01-31-2024 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:46 PM
keroh
Track Day

Originally Posted by mTuran
If your hotspot is working and you can connect (I mean a normal Wi-Fi connection from your phone to the car, not CarPlay), that means your car is emitting Wi-Fi signals and the problem shouldn't be related to regulations. If Wi-Fi signals are not allowed due to regulations, how is it possible for the Wi-Fi hotspot to function? It doesn't make sense.

The IMEI is more about the specifications of the car, but it's not related to CarPlay; it's completely separate hardware for Porsche Connect.

Did they reset your PCM under the hood? That's what they did to my car and afterward, it started working.
yes i entered engeneering mode and reset
no luck
Old 02-02-2024, 10:57 PM
keroh
Track Day

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
My assumption on wireless CarPlay connection:
It uses both the bluetooth and wifi on the phone to connect to the vehicle, however, the connection to the internet is still done via the phone's cellular radio to your phone's service provider network - the car's wifi provides no internet conductivity for CarPlay. Am I not correct?

The car:
(at least here in north America) The car itself does have its own internet connection with its own separate sim/esim and cellular radio to connect via a separate service provider. The car internet service is totally unrelated to the service provider you use for your cell phone. In the US the car's service provider is verizon wireless. Again, this is totally separate from what your phone uses. This connection is what allows porsche connect to get to the car and vice versa, and what allows some of the onboard PCM services direct internet access...services like the built in PCM interface Apple Music & Spotify. The built in services are nothing to do with CarPlay.
this is the reply i had from porsche latin america (translated by google from spanish):

The problem is in detail. There is a requirement at the programming code level to have 2 things enabled: a) 5Gz frequency and b) active navigation module. Since the second one is not in some markets including Panama, the wireless connection between the PCM and the phone does not work.

it is a limitation by porsche. Intended by porsche.

Fun part is if i could cross the border with colombia magically the car would begin to work, cause i have their maps loaded🤣
Old 04-22-2024, 12:43 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 243 Posts

Removing home or whatever WiFi you setup from devices in pcm fixed it.

Quick Reply: Cayenne 2024 - Wireless CarPlay Not Working