Sponsored By:

Cayenne 2024 - Wireless CarPlay Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 04:35 PM
keroh
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E55AMG
picked up my '23 over the weekend. carplay worked great with my primary phone. Was in the car earlier with my other iphone and it would not connect. I got the message about needing USB cable. so, one phone works the other doesn't.
ahah this is getting me mad😅

i tried 4 phones none worked, the dealer say no, porsche latin america division say no, delaer says ill buy you the adapter...

and then you guys manage to have it working somehow🥹😂

Old 01-29-2024, 04:40 PM
keroh
Track Day

Originally Posted by kanien
Yes connects via wireless... My 22 does have maps...

I would try a hard reset on PCM and a hard reset on the iPhone. Have you tried it?
we dont have maps here in Panama, so they disable the navigation module and that turns off the wlan capability.

yes tried resetting even in the engeneering mode😅
Old 01-29-2024, 04:41 PM
kanien
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by keroh
ahah this is getting me mad😅

i tried 4 phones none worked, the dealer say no, porsche latin america division say no, delaer says ill buy you the adapter...

and then you guys manage to have it working somehow🥹😂

Your can do not have any maps?
Old 01-29-2024, 04:55 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 275 Posts

@E55AMG is in the U.S., and has may have ignored the important context that you are in central america…

at least you are getting closer to knowing the exact issue.

your dealer is unwilling to try the PCM hard reset?

the navigation should not fail even if the map is essentially void of data. however it will need a map of some kind so the UI doesn’t throw a fit. my guess is it has no map at all right now. and my guess is the dealer would need to do this.

my concern is: in Canada, and in the U.S., I am told no dealers have access to make coding changes to the 2024 cayenne at this early point. I know this because I changed steering wheels - the new wheel has heat, the old wheel did not. The dealer told me even w the proper hardware, they physically can’t access the car to make the coding change right now. This also affects my ability to add sport exhaust. The dealers cannot make the coding change to get the flaps working yet, so I need to wait.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 01-29-2024 at 05:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
keroh (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 04:56 PM
kanien
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

we dont have maps here in Panama, so they disable the navigation module and that turns off the wlan capability.

yes tried resetting even in the engeneering mode😅
This is beyond absurd... Not having maps should never impact your ability to use wireless Apple Carplay...

Well My 991.2 GTS from 2019 only have Carplay using cable (limitation from this year/model) I found the perfect solution to use it wirelessly, it works flawlessly "CarlinkIt 5.0 2air". Whenever I get in the car it's on.
keroh (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 09:31 PM
keroh
Track Day

Well i cant upload more pictures for today i believe...

I entered in the navigation panel and i see all the roads of colombia, while panama has not even the names of the cities...so it has some maps loaded and it is working cause i can search address and it suggest me destination in all south america.

what i notice instead is in the connections settings: i have no option to connect to external wifi, and i have no wifi icon with 4g, 5g etcetc i only have a generic phone icon when i connect mine by bluetooth.

and if i scroll the connections menu i see imei number and mine is empty.

so for me navigation is working, what is not working is the wifi cause there is no porsche connect service available and for that they turn off my wifi.

All the crap they are telling me...is what makes me angry.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:32 PM
jo2134
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Seems to be an obvious pattern I observed. Upon first getting in the car wireless CarPlay works right away, no issues. If the phone is removed from the car after ignition is on, upon returning back to the car it won’t reconnect unless plugged in. This then lasts for a random amount of time. This also happens when parking and locking the car and then getting back in and starting it up after a few minutes (before the entire system shuts down). The automatic fix is clicking forget device on my phone then reconnecting. I start my car in my driveway before heading out and leave my phone in there to avoid having any potential issues.

Very very frustrating.
keroh (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 10:11 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Well i cant upload more pictures for today i believe...

I entered in the navigation panel and i see all the roads of colombia, while panama has not even the names of the cities...so it has some maps loaded and it is working cause i can search address and it suggest me destination in all south america.

what i notice instead is in the connections settings: i have no option to connect to external wifi, and i have no wifi icon with 4g, 5g etcetc i only have a generic phone icon when i connect mine by bluetooth.

and if i scroll the connections menu i see imei number and mine is empty.

so for me navigation is working, what is not working is the wifi cause there is no porsche connect service available and for that they turn off my wifi.

All the crap they are telling me...is what makes me angry.
@mTuran is your imei populated? I am wondering if even tho you don’t have porsche connect, they gave UAE the sim, or set up the esim. I want to say the car uses an esim, not a removable sim, but i should verify that.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:17 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jo2134
Seems to be an obvious pattern I observed. Upon first getting in the car wireless CarPlay works right away, no issues. If the phone is removed from the car after ignition is on, upon returning back to the car it won’t reconnect unless plugged in. This then lasts for a random amount of time. This also happens when parking and locking the car and then getting back in and starting it up after a few minutes (before the entire system shuts down). The automatic fix is clicking forget device on my phone then reconnecting. I start my car in my driveway before heading out and leave my phone in there to avoid having any potential issues.

Very very frustrating.
is your wifi network set to auto-join on? seems like worst case u could go into your connection manager and toggle the carplay.

just so i better understand: you are taking your phone out of range while carplay is active and ur expectation is that seamlessly work. you expect that after you take your phone out of range, and then bring it back in range, everything work normally. correct?
Old 01-30-2024, 10:41 AM
keroh
Track Day

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
@mTuran is your imei populated? I am wondering if even tho you don’t have porsche connect, they gave UAE the sim, or set up the esim. I want to say the car uses an esim, not a removable sim, but i should verify that.
Yes would be interesting to know if dubai dealer activated the line and how to do the same here😄

As you can see my imei is not populated

While i have map and gps working

Old 01-30-2024, 01:53 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 340 Posts

Oh, the joys of carplay/auto tech. The phone I referenced above regarding the message that I had to use a USB cable has resolved itself. Let's call this phone #2. Phone # 1 had been working fine - all features were working. Today went into carplay and got a message that I needed to turn on location services. It was already on. other features of carplay were working i.e. making/receiving calls. no matter what i tried i couldn't get use google maps in carplay due to it thinking location services were not on.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:26 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Oh, the joys of carplay/auto tech. The phone I referenced above regarding the message that I had to use a USB cable has resolved itself. Let's call this phone #2. Phone # 1 had been working fine - all features were working. Today went into carplay and got a message that I needed to turn on location services. It was already on. other features of carplay were working i.e. making/receiving calls. no matter what i tried i couldn't get use google maps in carplay due to it thinking location services were not on.
try re installing google maps? then when it prompts you give it all the precise location permissions etc. might be easier that fixing it.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:40 PM
Bomba
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I have this happen every few months with my 2021. It usually seems to happen when there is an iOS update. I usually do a few items to resolve it. One of these eventually works. I removed the phone from the PCM, added it again. Removed from the PCM and deleted the Porsche bluetooth connection from the phone. I've reset network settings on the phone. One of these usually work. My last resort is to delete all phones in the PCM and add them all, which was my worst case.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:57 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
try re installing google maps? then when it prompts you give it all the precise location permissions etc. might be easier that fixing it.
Seems to be working now. Not sure I remember what I did lol. I know I tried deleting the phone from the PCM which didn't do anything. Then, I think I "forgot car" in THE PHONE. Paired it again and seems to be working now. fingers crossed it stays that way.
ThomasWShea (01-30-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 09:19 AM
mTuran
Track Day

Yes would be interesting to know if dubai dealer activated the line and how to do the same here😄

As you can see my imei is not populated

While i have map and gps working
I've checked and mine has an IMEI number, but it shouldn't be about the IMEI.

The car has a Wi-Fi hotspot feature. Could you try to activate it and connect from your phone? This won't make CarPlay work, but we can understand whether your car can activate Wi-Fi signals due to regulations or not. Check this guide to see how to activate:
ThomasWShea (01-31-2024)

Quick Reply: Cayenne 2024 - Wireless CarPlay Not Working