Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne e-hybrid charging schedule

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 11:25 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 464 Posts

I am gping to get tomorrow the porsche 3 phase 32A cable. Unfortunately I cannot test it vs the 3 phase 16 cable since the wall and cable sockets are a bit different.

Based on the above I really have to read and research more if the 32A 3 phase cable and supoly in europe will offer anything more but since I have installed the 3 phases 32 supply I thought it is better to stay with the bigger capabity.

The other thing I need to reseach - if anybody knows - if we I can get a better third party cable that offers something more.

Additionally I would like to find find the oem of the porsche charger - it would be very interesting to connect it to my home automation system that also is kind of a building management system and home energy system i.e logging, graphs, measurements, alerts and you can measure and do some very interesting things.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:00 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by silversurfer6
I am gping to get tomorrow the porsche 3 phase 32A cable. Unfortunately I cannot test it vs the 3 phase 16 cable since the wall and cable sockets are a bit different.

Based on the above I really have to read and research more if the 32A 3 phase cable and supoly in europe will offer anything more but since I have installed the 3 phases 32 supply I thought it is better to stay with the bigger capabity.

The other thing I need to reseach - if anybody knows - if we I can get a better third party cable that offers something more.

Additionally I would like to find find the oem of the porsche charger - it would be very interesting to connect it to my home automation system that also is kind of a building management system and home energy system i.e logging, graphs, measurements, alerts and you can measure and do some very interesting things.
Porsche offer's integration in Europe with the Porsche Home Energy Manage (HEM) for overall capacity management

watts is volts times amps

3 phase 240 * 16 amps = 240V * 48 amps = 11 kW
3 phase 240 * 32 amps = 240V * 96 amps = 22 kW

the Cayenne is limited to 11 kW - the 32A cable will _NOT_ charge your Cayenne any faster

the only vehicle that I"m aware of that Porsche makes that can take advantage of 22 kW AC charging is the Taycan with the optional 22 kW onboard charger upgrade (19.2 kW in North America) - it's a $1680 option for the North American Taycan - and similarly priced regionally in different markets.

11 kW is the maximum charge rate for the 2024 Cayenne eHybirid - there is no 22 kW option.

you will not charge your Cayenne any faster than 11 kW - that is the limit of the 2024 Cayenne eHybrid - there is no fast DC charging option for the Cayenne - so you're limited to 11 kW by the onboard charger (AC/DC converter) installed at the factory.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 10-23-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:20 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I am in europe and I have installed a 32A 3 phase supply for my 2024 cayenne e-hybrid. The cable that came with the cayenne is 16A so the dealer will exchange it to 32A since the connector is bit different.

Three questions:

1) With 32A in europe will the car charge faster? Dealer says so but from what I am reading here it will not - then again it might be different in Europe.

2) Does it make sense to look for a better cable/charger than the porsche one? I am quite technical so if I can gain something on this - even just better software monitoring - I would like to try.

3) Anybody knows who is the OEM for the porsche charger and cable for the cayenne e-hybrid? We are trying to do a zero carbon building at work and connecting to the car chargers is important - usually this is done by modbus or using the API by IP.
#1 - Cayenne is limited to 11 kW world wide - there is no faster AC charging option - Taycan (and probably the upcoming Macan) has an option 22 kW charging option that must be installed at the factory.
#2 - EV/PHEV chargers are called EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment) - there are many choices for an EVSE in both North American and Europe - some offer better wifi/intergraiton/software monitoring - I recommend you review the Taycan or other full eV fourms you're likely to find lots of information about better EVSE's from full EV owners vs. hybrid owners - Porsche offers a product call the Home Energy Manager that integrated their EVSE into your home's power grid and offers some configuration/monitoring and load management - there are likely other options, but not with the Porsche EVSE.
#3 there are other EVSE's that will offer better integration than the Porsche EVSE - I'm certain of it.

it's a misnomer to call the box that come with the Cayenne a "charger" - it's not a charger - the charger is a box inside the vehicle that does AC/DC power conversion to charge the battery - EVSE's world wide are simply AC power of/off switches - they do 3 things:
  1. allow for raw AC power flow to be switched on/off controlled by the vehicle's onboard charger/software
  2. make sure power is not flowing if a vehicle is not plugged in - safety - the cable is inert/unpowered when it's not plugged in - you can drop an EVSE cable into a puddle of water and it won't short out or electrocute you because there is no power flowing - job #1 of an EVSE - no power flows unless it's actually plugged into a vehicle with confirmed communication and complete electrical circuit.
  3. report the maximum capacity of power they can deliver so the vehicle does not request too much power from the EVSE
    1. your car's onboard charger may have a limit of 11 kW, but some EVSE's may be configured to only provide 3.6 or 7.2 kW or 9.6 kW - in this circumstance the vehicle will only request/allow the amount of power allowed by the EVSE it's plugged into to flow - thereby not overloading the EVSE during charing
    2. if you plug a 22 kW Taycan into a public car parks 7.2 kW EVSE - the Taycan will only charge at the maximum rate of 7.2 kW reported by the EVSE it's currently using to avoid overloading the EVSE's power circuit - the Taycan can do 22 kW, but the EVSE in this hypothetical case is limited to 7.2 kW - so the car "adapts" it's charging rate to match the EVSE maximum power rating.
      1. charge rate can vary during the session also - when solar/load-blancing and other factors are considered - the EVSE and vehicle are in constant communication about the EVSE's current capacity - and the car will adapt it's charge rate dynamically if the EVSE raises or lowers the amount of power it can provide during the charging session - this is required when EVSE are part of a shared circuit and sharing a total budget of power that can vary based on total capacity available and total demand (think charing 6 EV's at once) from a shared 88 kW circuit - each EV would start by getting 88 kW / 6 = 15 kW each - as each EV "finishes' it's now unused 15 kW of capacity can be rebalanced to the remaining 5 EV's that are still charging…
      2. this is also how EVSE's adapt to current solar production - solar production is variable - and can go up/down - a Solar integrated EVSE will adjust the total capacity reported to the vehicle based on it's knowledge of the current solar production - ramping the available capacity up/down to match current solar production - the onboard AC/DC vehicle charger will then adjust it's charging demands to "match" the current EVSE capacity to avoid overloading the EVSE and not exceed the reported EVSE capacity
        1. this is as close as an EVSE comes to being able to control an EV charging session - but it's really just a dumb power flow device with a safety and capacity reporting system - other than that it simply switches the power flow on/off - the actual charging of an EV/PHEV is 100% controlled by the vehicle's onboard hardware and associated software.
that's it - nothing more - nothing less - they are glorified extension cords with a remote on/off switch for power flow or not flow based on the car's control. EVSE's have no authority to charge the car nor can they force the car to charge.

also given that they are simple AC power on/off switches - no vendor's EVSE is faster/slower vs. any other vendor's EVSE other than via the capacity of the EVSE to route power - so both vendors make a 3 phase 16 amp EVSE - both will charge any EV at exactly the same rate because both EVSE are simply letting raw AC power flow through them at exactly the same rate - the speed at which an EV/PHEV charges is mostly governed by the capacity of the onboard charger shipped with the vehicle from the factory.

Porsche may or may not make the best EVSE in Europe - they certainly make the worst and most expensive EVSE in North America - virtually _ANY_ North American EVSE is better and cheaper than the Porsche EVSE.

I'm certain there are a wide range of options in Europe for a 16/32 amp 11/22 kW EVSE with a wide range of integration options for both telemetry and building integration - but you'll have to get an EVSE from someone other than Porsche - which is fine, because EVSE's are generic external AC power sources - and they are not specific to the vehicle - they can't be - vehicle specific charging control/polilcy is governed by the onboard charger/software from the factory and can't be swapped out.

standards for EVSE's are well published and governed by various industry consortiums - this is required because people expect their EV/PHEV to be able to be charged by any EVSE they encounter in their region - compatibility is high and EVSE's are not vendor specific to the EV/PHEV - they are by definition raw power supply devices and highly interoperable - the documented standards they conform to are suggested in this post from the Taycan forum:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...1/#post-178232

post #14

the author of post #14 works in the automotive industry and some association (arms length) with various EV vendors - and has a particular expertise with EVSE and their implementation and protocol conformance - there are a few key ISO standard all European EVSE's conform to - and it's what makes sure that you can charge an EV/PHEV when you plug it in.

good luck.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 10-23-2023 at 12:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
off (10-23-2023), Schnave (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 07:04 PM
off
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

I use a Chargepoint EVSE for our '21 EH. From the car stating a charge level of 0% the Chargepoint app says it has added 14.1kWh when the charging cycle is complete. With the battery being 17.9kW, it looks like Porsche is implementing 25% buffer, which is pretty safe for the battery. And once the charging shows complete on both the Chargepoint and My Porsche app, there is no additional draw after that. So yes, I'd say leaving it plugged in is fine.
Old 10-23-2023, 07:38 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Porsche offer's integration in Europe with the Porsche Home Energy Manage (HEM) for overall capacity management
David yes I aware of the Porsche HEM but it is pretty basic. If basically allows you to connect a few CTs to measure your supply - I am not even sure if it can connect to a photovoltaic system or battery system.

Where the market is going in Europe is as below. The HEMS though will develop and will be able not to monitor only but also to help load and production management including Dynamic load management , Static load management, Prioritisation of loads, Grid-supporting control and many more. I actually find this quite exciting.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:00 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

David yes I aware of the Porsche HEM but it is pretty basic. If basically allows you to connect a few CTs to measure your supply - I am not even sure if it can connect to a photovoltaic system or battery system.

Where the market is going in Europe is as below. The HEMS though will develop and will be able not to monitor only but also to help load and production management including Dynamic load management , Static load management, Prioritisation of loads, Grid-supporting control and many more. I actually find this quite exciting.

yeah I know the Prosche sstuff is pretty basic, but they do not offer it for north america - but I have Solar, batteries and some semi-smart EVSE that can dynamically adjust load - so it's coming, we're just not there yet - most likely if you want all that you'll have to get an EVSE that isn't from porsche - that's ok - I find that just fine - in North America the Porsche EVSE isn't all that great and is much more expensive than alternatives with more features and better quality - the Porsche EVSE is better in europe but I'm not sure it has the feature set you're looking for. You'll most likley need to go with a non-Porsche EVSE.
Old 10-24-2023, 01:52 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Ok, charged the car using the 230v 3 phase 32a supply. Takes about 2.5 hours as expected. Car was charged by drawing almost 16A at a rate of almost 11kw.

Last edited by silversurfer6; 10-24-2023 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 02:18 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

I guess the 63km is calculated based on history? I guess if my wife starts using the car only in e-power mode then this should increase to the expected one - which now i dont really remember what it is - 80km? Is this about right?

Last edited by silversurfer6; 10-24-2023 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 02:25 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I guess the 63km is calculated based on history? I guess if my wife starts using the car only in e-power mode then this should increase to the expected one - which now i dont really remember what it is - 80km? Is this about right?

range estimates with EV/PHEV's are all based on past consumption - just like the range estimate for your gasoline - range is high variable and hard to estimate based "future" driving behavior - the range estimate will vary quite a bit - but for consistent usage I've found the range to be 98% similar for identical trips…for example if I get off my off ramp in Aptos, CA it's 3.1 miles to my house - if I have 20% battery remaining I will pull into my drive way and get the "bong" of ePower empty but the ICE motor will not start - if I have less than 20% getting off that off ramp the motor will start mid-point going up the hill leading to my neighborhood - the consumption is very very consistent for consistent routes - but the range estimate is all over the map and I mostly ignore it.
Old 10-24-2023, 02:43 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
range estimates with EV/PHEV's are all based on past consumption - just like the range estimate for your gasoline - range is high variable and hard to estimate based "future" driving behavior - the range estimate will vary quite a bit - but for consistent usage I've found the range to be 98% similar for identical trips…for example if I get off my off ramp in Aptos, CA it's 3.1 miles to my house - if I have 20% battery remaining I will pull into my drive way and get the "bong" of ePower empty but the ICE motor will not start - if I have less than 20% getting off that off ramp the motor will start mid-point going up the hill leading to my neighborhood - the consumption is very very consistent for consistent routes - but the range estimate is all over the map and I mostly ignore it.
Dave,

thank you. The pcm actually shows a bit more so maybe the app was not updated.

Old 10-24-2023, 04:33 PM
kanien
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my 22 Cayenne used and I'm not sure if it came with the 3.4kw or 7.4kw charger, is there anyway to make sure which one I have?

Best,
Old 10-24-2023, 05:03 PM
off
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

If you set up a My Porsche account, you can get a *.pdf of the window sticker. If the 7.2kW charger isn't listed in your options, you have the 3.6kW.
Old 10-25-2023, 08:35 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

A couple of more questions by the wife:

1) The car always starts in e-power. Is it better use this for short communes in the city or better to use hybrid (auto) mode?

2) Can you set the car to always start in e-hybrid auto mode or even sports or sports plus? This is an E.2 car, have not checked the settings yet. (Manual states this: The E-POWER driving programme is activated by default and allows purely electric driving. After the ignition is switched off, the selected driving programme is automatically reset to E-POWER if the prerequisites for this driving programme are met.)
Old 10-25-2023, 08:52 AM
sand8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kanien
I bought my 22 Cayenne used and I'm not sure if it came with the 3.4kw or 7.4kw charger, is there anyway to make sure which one I have?

Best,
If you have 2 phase 32A or 40A wall charger controller, you can plug it in the car and see how much the current draw is. it is either 14-15 amps or 31-32 amps.
Old 10-25-2023, 09:07 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

A couple of more questions by the wife:

1) The car always starts in e-power. Is it better use this for short communes in the city or better to use hybrid (auto) mode?

2) Can you set the car to always start in e-hybrid auto mode or even sports or sports plus? This is an E.2 car, have not checked the settings yet. (Manual states this: The E-POWER driving programme is activated by default and allows purely electric driving. After the ignition is switched off, the selected driving programme is automatically reset to E-POWER if the prerequisites for this driving programme are met.)
#1 trying to outguess Porsche as to what is "better" is a losing game - they have more data than you have - my opinion is drive the car how you like and dont' worry about "better" - and besides your "better" may not be the same as my 'better" - what are you optimizing for in terms of better? fuel economy? not waking the neighbors early morning? fun? performance? engine hours? speed? cruise? cabin temperature? what is better in your mind? total EV hours? distance/range? wanna get home with a full tank of gas (I drive to the gas station on full ICE, and then drive home in pure EV mode so the car is 100% full in the morning both battery and gas fuel tank) - what are your goals for 'better"?

#2 no - it will always start in eMode

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 10-25-2023 at 09:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Cayenne e-hybrid charging schedule