Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

PSA: '24 Cayenne hybrid fast charging speed and your home NEMA socket

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 01:40 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 33 Posts

I just took delivery of my 24 Hybrid S in Texas - wow what a car (replacing my 2014 S hybrid). I have an electrician doing the wiring today, but had a question when out and about. Yesterday I tried to charge at an EVGO station, but neither of the plugs were compatible. What is the story, or can you point me to a good tutorial on how to charge the new cayenne when I am out? for most of my travels locally I can basically forego gas.
Old 05-24-2024, 02:45 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,939 Likes on 1,918 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
I just took delivery of my 24 Hybrid S in Texas - wow what a car (replacing my 2014 S hybrid). I have an electrician doing the wiring today, but had a question when out and about. Yesterday I tried to charge at an EVGO station, but neither of the plugs were compatible. What is the story, or can you point me to a good tutorial on how to charge the new cayenne when I am out? for most of my travels locally I can basically forego gas.
short answer: the EV go stations you were at are FastCharging stations - your Cayenne does not support DC fast charging.

tldr;

the EVGo charging stations you were trying to use were/are "DC Fast Charging" (400/800 volt 25-350 kW) stations with CCS1/Chademo connectors - they are for Taycan's, BMW iX, Teslas (w/adatper), etc - full EV's with big batteries that "need" like 60-80 kWh in 30 min or less…

_IF_ your Cayenne could take the max FastDC charge rate of 350 kW - it would take about 4 minutes to fully charge your 26 kWh battery and then it would "explode" due to overheating

the actual maximum charge rate of your Cayenne is 11 kW - which is 240V AC power @ 48 amps on a 60 amp circuit breaker with a wall-mounted/hardwired EVSE (EV charger). And your Cayenne can only charge with AC power not the DC power the "fast chargers" provide.

your Cayenne's battery is about 26 kWh of capacity so 26 kWh / 11 kW = 2 hours 20 minutes to fully charge a 2024 Cayenne from empty to full at a charge rate of 11 kW.

at an Electrify America CCS1 350 kW charging station my 2020 Taycan could routinely charge at 268 kW charge rate - allowing me to pull in at 5% battery and achieve 93% charge in about 25 minutes - meaning I could drive another 260'ish miles before stopping again at another fast charging stations - 2 fast charging stops a day means you can drive about 750 miles in a single day for 2 1/2 hour stops…"slow charging" the Taycan at it's maximum 19.2 kW charge rate would require at least 5 hours for each stop to achieve the same 250 miles of driving range capacity.
  • the 2020-2024 Taycan's maximum charge rate is 270 kW
  • the new 2025+ Taycan has a 320 kW maximum charge rate - and early drives/testing demonstrate that it's going to be a charging "beast" - 20 min or less fast charging stops should easily achieve 80-90% battery capacity in the time it take to park, walk to the bath room, buy a snack, and return…
  • the new Macan EV can also charge at 270 kW maximum rate and it should equal the 2020-2024 Taycan's fast charging performance with 25 min stops being more than sufficient to achieve another 350 miles of driving range for the Macan - meaning 2 30 minute fast charging stops a day will be about 1050 miles of driving range.
Hybrid's tend to have smaller batteries at only support 240V AC with charging rates between 4 and 19 kW (your new Cayenne can do 11 kW).

your Hybrid uses a J-1772 charging connector for 240V AC power - I'm unaware of _ANY_ hybrids on the market that support DCFast charging (via NACS, CCS1, Chademo) connectors…it's just not a thing.

You can us some public EV chargers - but those are consider "slow" chargers and typically in North America provide 6 kW charge rate (ChargePoint provides a lot of EV chargers that fit this bill).

typically you don't charge a Hybrid when you're "out" because you have the gas motor and do not need to charge - but it's nice if you can.

you can use plug share.com to find charging stations

https://www.plugshare.com

plug share can filter charging stations by "plug type"

your Cayenne can use the following plug types - J-1772 - use plug share to filter for the J-1772 plug type and it will show your chargers that are compatible with all J-1772 hybrids/EV's - they are represented on the map as "green" map pins … you'll need accounts/memberships with various charging networks to be able to activate a charging session with many public EV chargers, and typically given cost of charging in public it's really really not worth it for a Hybrid.

the other 7 plug types are either incompatible or require an adapter for your Cayenne

with adapters you can charge your Cayenne at the following 4 plug types
  1. Wall connector - 1.44 kW charge rate - about 25 hours to charge your Cayenne from empty
  2. NACS connector - 1.44 kW to 19.2 kW - 25 to 2.5 hours to charge your Cayenne depending on how fast the NACS charger is
  3. NEMA 14-50 - 9.6 kW - about 3.25 hours to charge to full from empty
  4. NEMA TT-30 - 2.8 kW - about 20 hours to charge from full to empty
but mostly you don't worry about charging a Hybrid when away from home - for the full gory details about road tripping with a full EV and the sort of "kit" you can choose to have to maximize charging opportunities this thread provide an excellent overview

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...ging-kit.6812/

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 05-24-2024 at 03:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Needsdecaf (05-24-2024), nkhalidi (05-29-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 02:10 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 33 Posts

This was exceedingly helpful. I appreciate the time and effort on this post. At some point we are replacing my wife's Macan Turbo with the new EV so this will be doubly helpful. I downloaded the app, and concur that at home I am going from empty to full in about 2:30. With my cost of electricity it is costing me about 5.6 cents per mile vs super unleaded at costco at 15.6 cents per mile.

Amazing how well designed this new S is. I just sold my 2014 yesterday, and was sad to see her go, but no more room for her.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (05-26-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 02:18 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 465 Posts

I have my Wallbox on a 60amp circuit for each and tied into a separate circuit each for a total of 2 Wallbox chargers one inside and one outside my garage and hardwired in. That way we can charge my wife's Taycan and now my new Cayenne e-hybrid easily and at the same time. At least that was the strategic plan...so hope it works. Thanks for the info!

original Wallbox x2 charge set up [inside garage]

Solo interior garage charger #1 setup

Wallbox separate 60AMP charging circuits in parallel.

Outside exterior garage charger #2 setup
daveo4porsche (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 01:45 PM
chuck v
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Charger info

Ty for OP for great info. Looking at 2022 e hybrid. Pretty impressive. Sales did say get upgraded 220 plug in, guess that’s the Hubble?? Lots to read and understand

anyway can I get pictures of 2022 Porsche charger. Suncoast says there are 3 versions, asking them if I have version 1; can I upgrade to version 2 or 3

chuck
87 911
maybe e hybrid
Old 05-27-2024, 03:10 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck v
Ty for OP for great info. Looking at 2022 e hybrid. Pretty impressive. Sales did say get upgraded 220 plug in, guess that’s the Hubble?? Lots to read and understand

anyway can I get pictures of 2022 Porsche charger. Suncoast says there are 3 versions, asking them if I have version 1; can I upgrade to version 2 or 3

chuck
87 911
maybe e hybrid
it doesn't matter - don't use the Porsche charger - Porsche charges $3200 for their EV chargers - excellent/high-quality/100% compatible EV chargers (called EVSE's) can be had for $1000 or less (in many many cases $600 or less - also the Porsche chargers are utter _CRAP_ and currently under recall - put it away, ignore it, keep for when you sell/trade the car and install/use something else - EVSE's are NOT vendor/vehicle specific - they will work with _ANY_ current/future EV/Hybrid - so buy one and use it for the next 10-15 years

my recommendations are:
  • Tesla Universal Wall Charger - $600'ish
  • ChargePoint Flex - $600 or less
  • WallBox - $650
  • JuiceBox
  • Enphase/ClipperCreek
  • Porsche Wall Connect Charger
you want a NEMA 14-50/6-50/hardwired EVSE - the plug doesn't matter which one

50 amp breaker for 40 amp of charging goodness - 9.6 kW charge rate - you're good to go with _ANY_ North American EVSE

extra credit - have electrician install a 60 amp breaker for a 48 amp charge rate - 11 kW charge rate - but you'll need a hardwired charger rated for 60/48 amps (Tesla Universal Wall Charger, charge point flex, WallBox, Porsche Wall Connect Charger)

_IF_ you want. plug based EVSE - have your electrician install a NEMA 14-50/6-50 plug socket - and specify the Hubble socket w/part number from Porsche's technical bulletin - this plug is best practice and highly recommended/required for _ANY_ NEMA 14-50/6-50 plug based EVSE…

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 05-27-2024 at 03:12 PM.
mdrobc1213 (05-28-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 07:25 PM
chuck v
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ty for fast response. Car comes with EVSE and 2 cables. Leaning to Tesla equipment if I have to upgrade from version 1 evse. Checked out Hubble equipment. So sorting through lots of info.

CHUCK
Old 05-27-2024, 07:31 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck v
Ty for fast response. Car comes with EVSE and 2 cables. Leaning to Tesla equipment if I have to upgrade from version 1 evse. Checked out Hubble equipment. So sorting through lots of info.

CHUCK
this is what you want

Amazon Amazon

or the 6-50 version of same

the plug is "generic" will work for any 14-50/6-50 North American EV charger (called an EVSE)

what information are you "sorting"?

happy to answer questions.
Old 05-27-2024, 08:46 PM
i386_64
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
it doesn't matter - don't use the Porsche charger - Porsche charges $3200 for their EV chargers - excellent/high-quality/100% compatible EV chargers (called EVSE's) can be had for $1000 or less (in many many cases $600 or less - also the Porsche chargers are utter _CRAP_ and currently under recall - put it away, ignore it, keep for when you sell/trade the car and install/use something else - EVSE's are NOT vendor/vehicle specific - they will work with _ANY_ current/future EV/Hybrid - so buy one and use it for the next 10-15 years

my recommendations are:
  • Tesla Universal Wall Charger - $600'ish
  • ChargePoint Flex - $600 or less
  • WallBox - $650
  • JuiceBox
  • Enphase/ClipperCreek
  • Porsche Wall Connect Charger
you want a NEMA 14-50/6-50/hardwired EVSE - the plug doesn't matter which one

50 amp breaker for 40 amp of charging goodness - 9.6 kW charge rate - you're good to go with _ANY_ North American EVSE

extra credit - have electrician install a 60 amp breaker for a 48 amp charge rate - 11 kW charge rate - but you'll need a hardwired charger rated for 60/48 amps (Tesla Universal Wall Charger, charge point flex, WallBox, Porsche Wall Connect Charger)

_IF_ you want. plug based EVSE - have your electrician install a NEMA 14-50/6-50 plug socket - and specify the Hubble socket w/part number from Porsche's technical bulletin - this plug is best practice and highly recommended/required for _ANY_ NEMA 14-50/6-50 plug based EVSE…
I'd stay away from Tesla's charger. Software is not very stable on that despite they're doing quite good on their cars.

Just ordered a Juicebox Master Set for my moms new Model Y. I think they do state of the art EVSEs nowadays, especially for the people living in Europe where we need different types of connectors etc.

Bad thing it supports 22kW but EVs and PHEVs rarely do upper 11kW. Eletre and i7s come with 22kW onboard charger, Taycans have optional equipment for it but it's very rare.

Even though most of those EVSEs are equipped with Type A RCDs, you'd still need to spend some money on the distribution box. Invest in a good MCB, RCD, SPD and GPFD, especially if you're planning to buy more EVs in the future. Buy fire-safe cables, check the protective earth resistance before the installation. Unfortunately, even the most qualified electricians can do mistakes since these things demand serious amount of power from the infrastructure for a residential installation, which was quite hard to see a couple of years ago.
Old 05-27-2024, 09:05 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by i386_64
I'd stay away from Tesla's charger. Software is not very stable on that despite they're doing quite good on their cars.

Just ordered a Juicebox Master Set for my moms new Model Y. I think they do state of the art EVSEs nowadays, especially for the people living in Europe where we need different types of connectors etc.

Bad thing it supports 22kW but EVs and PHEVs rarely do upper 11kW. Eletre and i7s come with 22kW onboard charger, Taycans have optional equipment for it but it's very rare.

Even though most of those EVSEs are equipped with Type A RCDs, you'd still need to spend some money on the distribution box. Invest in a good MCB, RCD, SPD and GPFD, especially if you're planning to buy more EVs in the future. Buy fire-safe cables, check the protective earth resistance before the installation. Unfortunately, even the most qualified electricians can do mistakes since these things demand serious amount of power from the infrastructure for a residential installation, which was quite hard to see a couple of years ago.
none of this is relevant for North America - and the Tesla Universal Chargers are getting rave reviews from Taycan owners on the Taycan forum - North American EVSE are fairly different vs. European standards.
i386_64 (05-27-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 10:26 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,273 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by CM991
First off, thanks a mil for all the knowledge and advice when it comes to this.

Electrician came today. $1,500 for a 120' feed to the garage from sub-panel 60A breaker in the basement. Don't think that's too bad. Open to feedback.

When it comes to EVSEs i'm limited to ChargePointe and Juicebox due to local electric company incentives (essentially it'll be free) and install gets another $500 off. Any strong recommendations on one vs the other?
$ 1,500 for a 120' run? That's a BARGAIN. Is he using aluminum or copper wire at that price? I'd suggest go copper, even if it costs more and conducts better as well as less likely to corrode or catch fire. 6/2 copper is $ 5.23 a foot at Home Depot so that's $ 650. a breaker is $ 30, and a decent NEMA box in the garage $ 90. Close to $ 800 in materials before starting work. The electricians in Northern VA want $ 3,500 for that job......which is why I did my own.
daveo4porsche (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 11:27 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
$ 1,500 for a 120' run? That's a BARGAIN. Is he using aluminum or copper wire at that price? I'd suggest go copper, even if it costs more and conducts better as well as less likely to corrode or catch fire. 6/2 copper is $ 5.23 a foot at Home Depot so that's $ 650. a breaker is $ 30, and a decent NEMA box in the garage $ 90. Close to $ 800 in materials before starting work. The electricians in Northern VA want $ 3,500 for that job......which is why I did my own.
Yes agree. Local electrician here billed me I think around $2200 in Dec 2022 for my setup...but that was 2 separate circuits in parallel w/60amp breakers and hardwired from my upstairs panel down across my attic and down a wall into my garage for two seperate Wallbox chargers hardwired in. Biggest cost as I remember too was the wire beside the custom interior routing fo the cables from one level down to the main floor as out main panel is on the outside and opposite side of the house too. Anyway the set up does work great and gives us future proof capacity. Only change I needed to make was I had them come back and move one charger from the inside wall in the garage to outside wall so I can effectively charge either car (wife's Taycan CT4 or my Cayenne S e hybrid) from either space...outside the garage in driveway or inside also.

So far no problems and wife can plug in her Taycan when she gets home and be fully charged in the AM b4 work.

original Wallbox x2 charge set up [inside garage]

Wallbox separate 60AMP charging circuits in parallel.

Solo interior garage charger #1 setup

Outside exterior garage charger #2 setup
Old 05-29-2024, 12:45 AM
Talon38c
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

How do your fish (or turtle) feel about being so close to a 60 amp circuit?
Old 05-29-2024, 02:39 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Talon38c
How do your fish (or turtle) feel about being so close to a 60 amp circuit?
Bigger tank now...moved about 3-4 feet to other side of the garage. . But they did fine otherwise. LOL
Old 07-05-2024, 04:18 PM
CM991
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

Charging our '24 Turbo E-Hybrid at a steady 10.5kW.
daveo4porsche (07-05-2024)

Quick Reply: PSA: '24 Cayenne hybrid fast charging speed and your home NEMA socket