Bose settings

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 09:40 AM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by silversurfer6
Mike it is my pleasure.

The ipod cable basically allows you to view the local ios itunes library playlists, albums and tracks on the pcm. Is this correct?

If you start a song/album/playlist on tidal on your phone does it work? If it works then it might work for controls - forward a song, e.t.c - also.

When porsche classic decides to provide a replacement PCM Plus with carplay for the 997.2 - like they did with the 997.1 - you will be in heaven. It is like you get a new car in terms of cabin entertainment, google maps, waze, and other ios apps, voice commands and of course for using you phone for calls.

I also agree content availability is more important than audio quality this is why I tried to stress in this discussion that going with tidal, apple music, amazon, deezer or spotidy - instead of usb, local music on phones, sirious, e,t,c - is the first step to a much easier listening experience and allows easy access to a huge library of songs. And then you get as a bonus ultimate quality - i.e lossless cd level quality - with tidal, apple music, amazon and deezer for now.
The new iPod cable does, indeed, allow the functions you mention via the PCM. I have not yet downloaded the Tidal app, primarily because my 997 generates road noise at a level, particularly on concrete surfaces, that would obscure quality sound. But I plan to use Tidal in my Audi because that vehicle is extremely quiet, and also in my new Cayenne S when it arrives. I have been behind on the learning curve with respect to the various available music apps because I’m a recent convert to Apple iPhone; I used a Blackberry until my carrier shut it down about a year and a half ago.

I noticed in your next post a picture of your amplifier with vacuum tubes. This will be a clue as to my age, but when I enlisted in the U S Navy at the age of 17, I was sent off to electronics school, and all of the equipment back then utilized vacuum tubes, and the acoustic qualities of the sonar equipment was amazing. I am also familiar with the contents of the bottle to the right in the picture; I see it briefly just about every night .

Mike
Old 08-09-2023, 12:04 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 972 Likes on 458 Posts

Your phone via CarPlay can only stream files in 16 bit. Everyone should have at least one audiophile 24 bit recording on a USB drive to see what the system is capable of. Trust me, there's a difference. Plenty to choose from on HD Tracks.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 01:43 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Your phone via CarPlay can only stream files in 16 bit. Everyone should have at least one audiophile 24 bit recording on a USB drive to see what the system is capable of. Trust me, there's a difference. Plenty to choose from on HD Tracks.
Does this change if the “iPod” connection, not CarPlay, is chosen for music to a cord-connected phone using Tidal HiFi? This means the iPhone is acting as an iPod aka usb drive correct?
Old 08-09-2023, 06:20 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chassis
Does this change if the “iPod” connection, not CarPlay, is chosen for music to a cord-connected phone using Tidal HiFi? This means the iPhone is acting as an iPod aka usb drive correct?
Great question, not sure about that. The Bose doesn't display the bitrate it's playing but there's such a large difference in sound you can probably tell by listening.
chassis (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 10:08 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

I just listened to Rush's The Spirit of Radio on the Bose with two scenarios:

1. iPod corded connection using downloaded Tidal "max" fidelity (24 bit)
2. Bluetooth wireless connection using downloaded Apple Music non-lossless (non-AAC)

Streaming: none (downloaded content)
Apple CarPlay: no
Bose tone: neutral (0 for treble and basse)
Fader/balance: neutral

Reading through Apple's gobblety gook it seems that the iPhone hardware supports 24 bit, so the iphone is ruled out as a quality limiter in this case.

Bluetooth non-lossless has hissy and compressed highs and less defined lows, barely enjoyable. Corded lossless was far more enjoyable with separated rich lows and enjoyable highs that didn't hurt the ears with hissing or scratchiness.

Strongly recommend corded connection and lossless data format. I have no opinion on affects related to streaming vs downloaded content or any effects CarPlay may have.

The PCM iPod connection and Bose hardware are very good. Therefore USB drives and legacy iPod hardware with lossless files should do quite well.

Last edited by chassis; 08-09-2023 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:47 PM
pinion
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts

Apple seems pretty clear on this:

Can I listen to lossless audio using CarPlay?

You can listen to lossless audio with CarPlay using a USB connection. Streaming lossless audio in a car over a cellular network will consume significantly more data.
From the bottom of this page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183

Of course they can’t know what the Porsche side of things will do with the data, but at least the quality chain up to the point it hits the car is fully lossless.
Old 08-10-2023, 11:29 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Great info chassis. I think the newest iphones are limited to 24/48 so they would need to down rez higher files but anything 24 bit is a large improvement. I hear what you do comparing lossless vs low rez streaming with the MP3 files sounding flat, one dimensional and harsh while the lossless files have clarity and depth. Are the USB CarPlay lossless audio files 16 bit or 24 bit? Who knows but either would be an improvement.
chassis (08-10-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 04:21 PM
bluonek1k
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

As an owner of a 2020 Cayenne Turbo w/ Bose - I agree with most of (the non-Bose automatic hater) comments in this tread. Not the greatest system on earth, but it's quite sufficient even for an audiophile who isn't such a stickler (just listen to your $80k B&O at home when you need perfection, lol, jk).

I wanted to add that if you are hearing rattles and annoying sounds at certain volume levels and even certain frequencies - push your dealership to fix them. Recently fixed (super annoying) sound issues: lock cylinder rattle in front door, defective speaker in front door, internal front door panel rattles taped up.
chassis (08-10-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 07:08 AM
Cuda4x4
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bose system

Originally Posted by Woofman
Try downloading a sample and deciding if it's better ... better enough to download more. .

I've sort of given up on the Bose. I listen to music on it since that's what my Cayenne has but I don't see any point in trying to fix it. The Bose has mainly been an education in how wonderful the audio systems were in my previous two daily drivers. As Joni Mitchell sang, "You don't know what you've got till it's gone." Maybe I'll make audio system quality a higher priority in the next vehicle I purchase. The Bose isn't terrible ... it's just meh.

I'm trying to get over the shock of seeing "Youth Lagoon" in the image that @Schnave posted. Now I'm really wondering about him.
I have the Bose surround sound in my 2009 Cayenne GTS. At low to medium levels, it's pretty good, but this car has over 226K miles on it, and there's a lot of wind/tire/road noise, so if I'm alone, I will occasionally crank it up foe a particularly great song, especially if I have a factory cd, of which I have many. There's a volume level that is kinda muddy ( medium high), but above this it becomes cryatal clear near concert levels and is phenomenal. I realize that this sound level (I have no way of measuring the decibels) will further damage my 73 year old hearing after a lifetime of driving big rigs, so I only crank it to this level for one song at a time, then lower it to normal levels. I listen to a lot of SXM, which is admittedly not the greatest sound source. Don from Tahoe.

Last edited by Cuda4x4; 10-28-2023 at 07:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cuda4x4:
chassis (10-28-2023), WasabiPeas (10-29-2023)
Old 03-05-2024, 01:00 AM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 137 Posts

I originally heard the joke about vegans, but I think it applies.

Q: How do you know when someone thinks they're an audiophile?
A: Just wait a sec. They'll tell you.

My good friend is a co-owner of a very high end headphone manufacturing company. They make $3000 headphones with an almost perfect frequency response, 30-20k Hz. They are *very* poor sellers in comparison to the other models that intentionally color the sound. Those Mac tube pre-amps I saw earlier in the post are famous for how they color the sound, not for perfectly amplifying it.

Mess with the adjustments and sources on the Bose until it sounds good to you. It's a terrible climate for *accurate* sound, so don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

The Bose is reasonable at modest sound levels, but Bose being Bose, it intentionally compresses frequencies beyond modest sound levels. If you can counteract some of that in the settings, it will sound grating at lower sound levels. For less than the price of the Burmester, Musicar here in PDX can send you a DSP and amp that wont compress (but might need a new driver or two). If you find that the Bose doesn't sound good at "live" volumes, I highly recommend Musicar. They're very well known here on Rennlist. You can search on @12v Nick But don't take my word for it, I'm not an audiophile.
chassis (03-05-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 07:52 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

To the top.

Quick Reply: Bose settings