Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Bose settings

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 12:03 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

I will have to finalize my build for a 2024 Cayenne S soon, and I had pretty much figured I would spec the Bose, but after reading this thread, I’m seriously considering just going with the standard radio. Too many hoops to jump through for me, and I don’t really care.

I own three vehicles with Bose: a 2014 Cayenne S, which has a lot of distortion to my ears, but I’m certainly not a competent judge of audio quality; a 997.2 which sounds fine, but I wish I hadn’t ordered the Bose because the Bose subwoofer is located in a position which attenuates the induction sound of the engine; and a Audi S8 in which it sounds quite good when playing low volume XM instrumentals.

probably the only thing that would cause me to upgrade the radio over the base radio at this point would be noise cancellation properties of a particular audio brand. I say this because Audi made a big deal about noise cancellation in tandem with active motor mounts for cylinder on demand V8 engines, which my S8 has , and the 2024 Cayenne S will be similarly equipped.

I had a 2023 base Cayenne loaner last week, and I took a picture of the window sticker. I just looked at the window sticker picture , and it was equipped with the base receiver , but I didn’t notice anything at the time of driving it.

If I went with the base receiver, that would save me about one third of the cost of the sport exhaust, and that might be the best music investment. Mike

Last edited by mk85911; 07-28-2023 at 12:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 07:00 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 736 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
I've had bose n burmester in several 911s. Both sucked. Coming back to bose is even worse.

All I can say is there is no magical setting and that every song hits different so it needs its own unique setting.

I don't even know where mine is set right now. Bass is overpowered in both systems. I usually go neutral on bose. Bass low treble high. Makes for better loud music playback.

No such thing as audiophile with these OE systems. An audiophile would get annoyed trying.
I am sorry but I have to disagree. I am an audiophile and I enjoy listening to music in the best quality as possible. So to put my thoughts in perspective:

1) The bose is good enough for $1k. The Burmester is much better for $5k - but for someone that wants the best listening experience the only thing to decide about the burmester is if he can afford it.

2) Is the burmester similar quality to a $5k 2 channel hifi system. No but the environment is different but still it is a very good system.

3) You mention: "All I can say is there is no magical setting and that every song hits different so it needs its own unique setting". This is not true - if you are a purist or audiophile you have to listen to the song as it as was recorded. Equalisation is not a big thing in 2 channels systems - but room treatment is. Since in cars you cannot do any room treatment you will adjust the equalisation one on some reference songs - see list i posted before - and that's it.

4) You mention an audiophile will get annoyed. I might be one and I own several systems - one of them is above 100k. I am not looking for the same experience in the car. The same with a good headphones system - it is a different experience - you have clarity and detail but you cannot have the same soundstage and dynamics as a hifi system. In a car I am looking at the best experience I can get - the burmester will give you this.

5) The most important thing to start from is what I have mentioned above. You need an excellent source. Apple Music and Tidal at the top uncompressed level will give you this. Apple car play with usb cable will make sure the car will play the songs lossless. Then it depends on the song - bad recordings will sound even worse in a good system. Good recordings though will sound amazing, Can you get the experience with Burmester that you get with a $20k hifi system or a $5k headphones system - certainly not. But it is the best you can get it is much better than Bose. And Bose is much bette than Base.

One of the main reasons I upgraded from my E3.1 to E3.2 was the audio system. I found the base system in the cayenne lacking a lot. The Bose for $1k is miles better and kind of a must if you love listening to music.
The following 2 users liked this post by silversurfer6:
chassis (07-28-2023), Oldboy52 (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 07:03 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mk85911
I will have to finalize my build for a 2024 Cayenne S soon, and I had pretty much figured I would spec the Bose, but after reading this thread, I’m seriously considering just going with the standard radio. Too many hoops to jump through for me, and I don’t really care.

I own three vehicles with Bose: a 2014 Cayenne S, which has a lot of distortion to my ears, but I’m certainly not a competent judge of audio quality; a 997.2 which sounds fine, but I wish I hadn’t ordered the Bose because the Bose subwoofer is located in a position which attenuates the induction sound of the engine; and a Audi S8 in which it sounds quite good when playing low volume XM instrumentals.

probably the only thing that would cause me to upgrade the radio over the base radio at this point would be noise cancellation properties of a particular audio brand. I say this because Audi made a big deal about noise cancellation in tandem with active motor mounts for cylinder on demand V8 engines, which my S8 has , and the 2024 Cayenne S will be similarly equipped.

I had a 2023 base Cayenne loaner last week, and I took a picture of the window sticker. I just looked at the window sticker picture , and it was equipped with the base receiver , but I didn’t notice anything at the time of driving it.

If I went with the base receiver, that would save me about one third of the cost of the sport exhaust, and that might be the best music investment. Mike
If you really love listening to music and you will listen to Tidal/Apple Music or spotify hifi when it is released using apple carplay then the Bose is easily worth the $1k.
chassis (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 07:08 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Something else to think about - this only apply for people that like to listening to good quality music in the car. Most people I know dont care and listen to radio so this does not matter.

The Bose is $1k and the Burmester is $5k. The car is well above $100k and we pay for some ridiculous extras like $4k wheels, the $5k sports design package, $1k coloured seat belts, $3.5k deviated stitching, $1k tinted lights and so on.

If you love good quality music then the Bose and Burmester price is actually a bargain - compared to what the other not needed cosmetic options will actually really offer to you.
chassis (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 08:44 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Additionally: 12 years of driving a 997 carrera 4s cabrio with Bose and sports exhaust. Yes some of the time you really want to enjoy the sports exhaust and you will lower the window a bit or even open the roof in the convertible. But on a highway in a trip or sometimes going to work you want to listen quite loud some good quality songs to make your day. These moments are quite important so the Bose and the Burmester are valuable.

In the cayenne the audio could be considered even more crucial than the 911 even though I doubt many of us drive the 911 like racers all the time with sports exhaust on full tune. I have on order a 992 4s cabrio and the sports exhaust is as important as the burmester. Why not?
chassis (07-28-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 01:48 AM
Oldboy52
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I just want to say thanks to all the contributors of this thread. The sound coming out of my 19 Bosed Cayenne is butt kicking using Apple Music on a wire! My wife is amazed and so am I. Have a great weekend!
The following 2 users liked this post by Oldboy52:
chassis (07-29-2023), Turrrbo (07-29-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 03:59 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,230 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by silversurfer6
I am sorry but I have to disagree. I am an audiophile and I enjoy listening to music in the best quality as possible. So to put my thoughts in perspective:

1) The bose is good enough for $1k. The Burmester is much better for $5k - but for someone that wants the best listening experience the only thing to decide about the burmester is if he can afford it.

2) Is the burmester similar quality to a $5k 2 channel hifi system. No but the environment is different but still it is a very good system.

3) You mention: "All I can say is there is no magical setting and that every song hits different so it needs its own unique setting". This is not true - if you are a purist or audiophile you have to listen to the song as it as was recorded. Equalisation is not a big thing in 2 channels systems - but room treatment is. Since in cars you cannot do any room treatment you will adjust the equalisation one on some reference songs - see list i posted before - and that's it.

4) You mention an audiophile will get annoyed. I might be one and I own several systems - one of them is above 100k. I am not looking for the same experience in the car. The same with a good headphones system - it is a different experience - you have clarity and detail but you cannot have the same soundstage and dynamics as a hifi system. In a car I am looking at the best experience I can get - the burmester will give you this.

5) The most important thing to start from is what I have mentioned above. You need an excellent source. Apple Music and Tidal at the top uncompressed level will give you this. Apple car play with usb cable will make sure the car will play the songs lossless. Then it depends on the song - bad recordings will sound even worse in a good system. Good recordings though will sound amazing, Can you get the experience with Burmester that you get with a $20k hifi system or a $5k headphones system - certainly not. But it is the best you can get it is much better than Bose. And Bose is much bette than Base.

One of the main reasons I upgraded from my E3.1 to E3.2 was the audio system. I found the base system in the cayenne lacking a lot. The Bose for $1k is miles better and kind of a must if you love listening to music.
Nonsense.

I have an amazon special worth 900 bucks (subwoofer is 500 bucks alone) in my bucket toyota truck and it sounds better than 100% of OE audio. OE audio is poverty and nothing Porsche sells is an exception. It's literally cheap **** and pure marketing.

You are not an audiophile, but call yourself one if you makes you happy. I identify as T-Rex.
Old 07-29-2023, 06:31 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Nonsense.

I have an amazon special worth 900 bucks (subwoofer is 500 bucks alone) in my bucket toyota truck and it sounds better than 100% of OE audio. OE audio is poverty and nothing Porsche sells is an exception. It's literally cheap **** and pure marketing.

You are not an audiophile, but call yourself one if you makes you happy. I identify as T-Rex.
Very useful post - this is helping everyone and your advice and comments are top notch. Thanks for contributing to this discussion.
chassis (07-29-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 09:05 AM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Something else to think about - this only apply for people that like to listening to good quality music in the car. Most people I know dont care and listen to radio so this does not matter.

The Bose is $1k and the Burmester is $5k. The car is well above $100k and we pay for some ridiculous extras like $4k wheels, the $5k sports design package, $1k coloured seat belts, $3.5k deviated stitching, $1k tinted lights and so on.

If you love good quality music then the Bose and Burmester price is actually a bargain - compared to what the other not needed cosmetic options will actually really offer to you.
I appreciate your feedback to my post. I think I will go ahead and spec the Bose in my build. Mike
Old 07-29-2023, 09:10 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mk85911
I appreciate your feedback to my post. I think I will go ahead and spec the Bose in my build. Mike
I think you made the right decision. Having heard the default sound system and the Bose upgrade, to my ears there really is no comparison. Bose I find to be much better. I never heard the Burmeister so can’t comment other than on the cost - ouch. Is Bose perfect? No. You’re in a car, not your living room. But I find it to be a worthwhile upgrade for a reasonable cost.

Last edited by LSR; 07-29-2023 at 09:11 AM.
chassis (07-29-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 10:06 AM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Good thread to read and digest.
Constructive replies have been informative.
I am not an audiophile.
But, I like listening to music in my Cayenne that has Bose (car was dealer spec’d)
Typically rock and roll like classic rewind on Sirius, and usually louder than normal (my wife complains).
Last week I had a service loaner with Burmester. Big difference even to my “untrained” ears.
My question:
Can anyone comment on the Musicar upgrade for our vehicles?
It should be available soon and I was thinking of adding their stage 2 Bose upgrade which also adds sound dampening material to the doors.
Old 07-29-2023, 10:13 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ok-cami
Good thread to read and digest.
Constructive replies have been informative.
I am not an audiophile.
But, I like listening to music in my Cayenne that has Bose (car was dealer spec’d)
Typically rock and roll like classic rewind on Sirius, and usually louder than normal (my wife complains).
Last week I had a service loaner with Burmester. Big difference even to my “untrained” ears.
My question:
Can anyone comment on the Musicar upgrade for our vehicles?
It should be available soon and I was thinking of adding their stage 2 Bose upgrade which also adds sound dampening material to the doors.
First I suggest to change from Sirius to tidal or apple music and start using apple car play with a usb cable. I think you will notice a big difference. In tidal and apple music you can create your own playlists or you can just save/favorite the hundreds of playlists they have ready. Download the playlists if you do not have an unlimited data connection.

Check the bose using tidal hifi level and then decide if you want the upgrade. I still believe the upgrade would be considerable but the upgrade from sirius to tidal hifi will also be substantial.
Old 07-29-2023, 10:21 AM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

First I suggest to change from Sirius to tidal or apple music and start using apple car play with a usb cable. I think you will notice a big difference. In tidal and apple music you can create your own playlists or you can just save/favorite the hundreds of playlists they have ready. Download the playlists if you do not have an unlimited data connection.

Check the bose using tidal hifi level and then decide if you want the upgrade. I still believe the upgrade would be considerable but the upgrade from sirius to tidal hifi will also be substantial.
I will take your advice.
​​​​​​​Which service would you recommend that I trial?
Old 07-29-2023, 10:41 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ok-cami
I will take your advice.
Which service would you recommend that I trial?
For absolute best quality now Tidal HiFi is the best. Library is huge similar to Spotify.

Make sure that you use:
1) usb cable to connect the phone to the car
2) apple car play for tidal app
3) choose the hifi option for streaming and downloading in tidal
4) remove any options in tidal like normalizing volume or any equalization

Also search for playlist on what you like. Lots made by the service and by the user for any genre so you can start listening immediately. I have posted some reference level tidal playlists before in this thread that will give you the best recording quality possible so you can test the system at its best.
Old 07-29-2023, 11:34 AM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Additionally: 12 years of driving a 997 carrera 4s cabrio with Bose and sports exhaust. Yes some of the time you really want to enjoy the sports exhaust and you will lower the window a bit or even open the roof in the convertible. But on a highway in a trip or sometimes going to work you want to listen quite loud some good quality songs to make your day. These moments are quite important so the Bose and the Burmester are valuable.

In the cayenne the audio could be considered even more crucial than the 911 even though I doubt many of us drive the 911 like racers all the time with sports exhaust on full tune. I have on order a 992 4s cabrio and the sports exhaust is as important as the burmester. Why not?
SilverSerfer, now that you’ve squared me away with my new Cayenne spec, I have another question for you, if I may.

I noticed that you’ve had a 997 for 12 years, so that would put it in the same technology level as my 2011 997 with Bose, and it occurs to me that you may have encountered a situation I am facing. On my 997, I ordered the optional 6 CD player, which also seems to have come with an aux input media capability via a supplied UBS cable. The problem is, the supplied cable has a “dock” connector, whereas my relatively new iPhone has the newer , small connector. Is there an available adapter for the cable, or maybe the Porsche parts department could supply me with an upgraded aux input cable that has the newer iPhone connection capability?

I'm sorry to pester you, you’ve been a big help to me already. Mike
Gus22 (07-29-2023)

Quick Reply: Bose settings