Sponsored By:

AMG to Porsche switch: Cayenne Coupe vs Panamera GTS questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 01:04 PM
Siqsa
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMG to Porsche switch: Cayenne Coupe vs Panamera GTS questions

Hey from the EU with noise limitations and anti V8 laws! (TLDR at bottom)

I ordered/own a new E53 Coupe, only for about 6 months, and I love it, it's fun/engaging/engine sounds pretty damn good for a V6... but our lives have changed rather drastically in the last 18 months since I place the order. Think baby plus a dog, and while my wife has a sufficient car for day to day hauling, we wanted a more capable car to invite glorious drives and trips.... but still maintain something I can solo have fun with as I do like spirited driving. Canyon carving, if you will... but we have no canyons so I make do with hills.

Naturally this leads me to the Panamera GTS Sport Turismo but the Cayenne Coupe's rear view hits me in the right way plus does make a lot more sense for WHEN we want to take the dog (it won't be often and he can fit in the Panamera) or a 2,000 km trip.

Question 1: When you have PDCC, PASM, and real axle steering, does anyone enjoy fun night drives solo with their Cayenne or is that just not it in comparison to a Panamera?

Question 2: What would be your maximum mileage for a used GTS for either car? I'm trying to keep it as 'new' as possible so I'm just looking under 25k km or so but there is a 33k km pretty well spec'd Cayenne available at a great price even if it's under budget.

Statement: Yes, I would be remiss at not mentioning the Macan GTS but, even though there is a 1:1 mapping on price for a trade in with my E53, the size feels a little small and has less space in the rear than the Panamera. I'm 6'1 and a lifter so width is important. I'm sure that width will move down over time but still...

Test driving: I live somewhere without close access to test drives, and have a current work schedule that just makes this highly impossible... but I also wouldn't be able to test them out in the way I want to

TLDR: Own E53, now have tiny version of me plus a dog (not my call), have to trade in but want something... spicy and practical, while still being aware of possible depreciation in the future!

Thanks for any owners insights!

The following 2 users liked this post by Siqsa:
chassis (06-02-2023), TikiLou (06-06-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 02:12 PM
Laki021
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 47 Posts

Both cars are amazing. I had the same dilemma and went with Cayenne GTS.

it’s extremely fun to drive, often I just take it for a spin in the evening. It even sounds better than Panamera GTS.
Old 06-02-2023, 02:43 PM
Siqsa
Track Day

Yeah, I never thought I'd have this dilemma with an SUV... such is the power of Porsche!

Do you have PDCC/Rear Axle/both, if you don't mind me asking? Given you enjoy taking it for a spin as well, you'd probably push it a bit more to feel the impact. Obviously a lot easier to find GTS specs without both options but from my research on this forum it seems to be 'must-have' and based on descriptions of how it drives from the hours of YT reviews it seems I should prioritize them.
Old 06-02-2023, 05:34 PM
mgx1020
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts

I have RAS and PDCC but e hybrid. I don’t have any desire to take it for a fun night spin… it’s too big and bulky, as nimble as it drives and when it’s serving it’s work purpose it is a pleasure. Now if I have a personal 718 or 911 yeah..
id be driving that thing for fun only though
edit; and I don’t think a panny changes the equation, it’s very big and heavy and the depreciation is way worse and it’s already very bad
Old 06-02-2023, 06:56 PM
Siqsa
Track Day

Originally Posted by mgx1020
I have RAS and PDCC but e hybrid. I don’t have any desire to take it for a fun night spin… it’s too big and bulky, as nimble as it drives and when it’s serving it’s work purpose it is a pleasure. Now if I have a personal 718 or 911 yeah..
id be driving that thing for fun only though
edit; and I don’t think a panny changes the equation, it’s very big and heavy and the depreciation is way worse and it’s already very bad
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, unfortunately (for cars... fortunately overall) we just bought our house so in a few years I can grab a 718/911 but for now the toy must have some more leg room.

Thanks for the input on it feeling to big and bulky... curious as to the shift from ehybrid to GTS to Turbo in terms of the feel for that.

Panamera surprises me as I'm looking at only 4S (not hybrid) or GTS with RAS and PDCC, and from the feedback I've heard it's one of the perfect "one cars" if you need something for the family that could at least create some sense of fun on a night drive/canyon carving moment.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:40 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 129 Posts

I have the 2023 GTS SUV and had a 2021 GLE 53 previously…but with the larger brakes & the similar active sway bar system like the Porsche. IMO, the sway bars are the most important piece of the package but RAS and PTV make the heavier SUV think it’s a Sports Car. I took a 1300 mile trip, on mostly 2 lane twisty roads, at crazy speeds far in excess of the speed limit…I wouldn’t trust the tire traction any faster. You never know when there will be some sand or something similar on country roads. My wife didn’t say a peep until she looked at the speedometer.
Either vehicle should meet your needs.

Last edited by Ron.s; 06-02-2023 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:45 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Siqsa
Hey from the EU with noise limitations and anti V8 laws! (TLDR at bottom)

I ordered/own a new E53 Coupe, only for about 6 months, and I love it, it's fun/engaging/engine sounds pretty damn good for a V6... but our lives have changed rather drastically in the last 18 months since I place the order. Think baby plus a dog, and while my wife has a sufficient car for day to day hauling, we wanted a more capable car to invite glorious drives and trips.... but still maintain something I can solo have fun with as I do like spirited driving. Canyon carving, if you will... but we have no canyons so I make do with hills.

Naturally this leads me to the Panamera GTS Sport Turismo but the Cayenne Coupe's rear view hits me in the right way plus does make a lot more sense for WHEN we want to take the dog (it won't be often and he can fit in the Panamera) or a 2,000 km trip.

Question 1: When you have PDCC, PASM, and real axle steering, does anyone enjoy fun night drives solo with their Cayenne or is that just not it in comparison to a Panamera?

Question 2: What would be your maximum mileage for a used GTS for either car? I'm trying to keep it as 'new' as possible so I'm just looking under 25k km or so but there is a 33k km pretty well spec'd Cayenne available at a great price even if it's under budget.

Statement: Yes, I would be remiss at not mentioning the Macan GTS but, even though there is a 1:1 mapping on price for a trade in with my E53, the size feels a little small and has less space in the rear than the Panamera. I'm 6'1 and a lifter so width is important. I'm sure that width will move down over time but still...

Test driving: I live somewhere without close access to test drives, and have a current work schedule that just makes this highly impossible... but I also wouldn't be able to test them out in the way I want to

TLDR: Own E53, now have tiny version of me plus a dog (not my call), have to trade in but want something... spicy and practical, while still being aware of possible depreciation in the future!

Thanks for any owners insights!
Panamera is claimed to suffer steep depreciation, not sure if this is unique to the North American market. Cayenne (SUV) is super practical, so kid + dog will have plenty of space. Space is not a strong positive for Panamera. Get whichever one you like and that fits your wallet.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:58 PM
mgx1020
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, unfortunately (for cars... fortunately overall) we just bought our house so in a few years I can grab a 718/911 but for now the toy must have some more leg room.

Thanks for the input on it feeling to big and bulky... curious as to the shift from ehybrid to GTS to Turbo in terms of the feel for that.

Panamera surprises me as I'm looking at only 4S (not hybrid) or GTS with RAS and PDCC, and from the feedback I've heard it's one of the perfect "one cars" if you need something for the family that could at least create some sense of fun on a night drive/canyon carving moment.
I will add that I was in a Q7 base and it felt much heavier and boxier, so these systems help a lot but you just cannot compare a 6000lb truck with a 3000lb coupe sports car.

but S** and EHybrid are almost the same HP. I haven’t been able to hit the gas yet as break in period is much harder since you regularly are not using the engine BUT, I accidentally kicked it a few times . It’s a punch. I think you will be VERY happy
Old 06-02-2023, 10:20 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 222 Posts

I have a 2022 Cayenne GTS with all the handling options and a Panamera GTS with PDCC. The Cayenne is amazing for an SUV but for twisty roads, the Panamera is much more satisfying to drive. I planned to trade the Panamera but glad that didn’t happen.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 01:47 AM
Siqsa
Track Day

Originally Posted by justabout
I have a 2022 Cayenne GTS with all the handling options and a Panamera GTS with PDCC. The Cayenne is amazing for an SUV but for twisty roads, the Panamera is much more satisfying to drive. I planned to trade the Panamera but glad that didn’t happen.
I appreciate the response! It's come down to my wife saying "you really need both at this point". One day!

We'll 90% use it for local trips around the country, I'll use it for daycare trips etc, but also probably a couple 2,000km trips over the next few years... some 1,000km trips here and there. The dog probably won't come on those latter holidays but definitely for beach days.. probably 2 hour max journey. He should fit fine in the Panamera. I know it's an impossible ask because I haven't even got one of those and I can't decide, and you have both, but would one stand out over the other for a more... complete experience in this use case?

Largely will depend on which hits budget + has the spec I want but I currently have one of each I've inquired about for availability!

Old 06-03-2023, 01:49 AM
Siqsa
Track Day

Originally Posted by chassis
Panamera is claimed to suffer steep depreciation, not sure if this is unique to the North American market. Cayenne (SUV) is super practical, so kid + dog will have plenty of space. Space is not a strong positive for Panamera. Get whichever one you like and that fits your wallet.
Thanks for the response! Yes, ultimately it will be a which hits budget best with the specs I want but I appreciate everyone here chiming in with their experience. Obviously we're all unique with our cars but it does help frame a picture.

Yeah, the depreciation does concern me... it doesn't seem as bad over here but it's definitely a lot easier to find used Panameras a lot lower than their listed spec than it is to find a Cayenne Coupe!
Old 06-03-2023, 01:52 AM
Siqsa
Track Day

Originally Posted by mgx1020
I will add that I was in a Q7 base and it felt much heavier and boxier, so these systems help a lot but you just cannot compare a 6000lb truck with a 3000lb coupe sports car.

but S** and EHybrid are almost the same HP. I haven’t been able to hit the gas yet as break in period is much harder since you regularly are not using the engine BUT, I accidentally kicked it a few times . It’s a punch. I think you will be VERY happy
Excellent! I'm coming from a 4.4 second 60 time (as much as that can mean anything lol) because the E53 is a soft hybrid V6 and it has amazing acceleration/engagement/emotion even for regular drives doing errands...so if I'm NOT going to be close to the ground pretending to be Schumi, I at least want to have a 'driving car' that can give me the feels!

My dad had 356s, 911s (usually older), 928s, a 968 so this possibility has me very excited.
Old 06-03-2023, 01:13 PM
Laki021
Instructor

Yeah, I never thought I'd have this dilemma with an SUV... such is the power of Porsche!

Do you have PDCC/Rear Axle/both, if you don't mind me asking? Given you enjoy taking it for a spin as well, you'd probably push it a bit more to feel the impact. Obviously a lot easier to find GTS specs without both options but from my research on this forum it seems to be 'must-have' and based on descriptions of how it drives from the hours of YT reviews it seems I should prioritize them.
No I don't have them and I guaranty you that you don't need them to have fun. I Intentionally skipped both options. Had a chance to push the car very, very hard, drive it 260km/h, push it hard on curvy roads, even do some power slides on closed roads, it's just incredible what this car can do. I would dare to say I pushed Cayenne harder than 99% or Cayenne owners ever did so when I say this car is fun to drive, I know what I'm talking about. I know it's not 911, but so what?
Would definitely advise you against RAS if you enjoy driving and like the natural feedback and feeling. Had it once on my car, never again. PDDC, the Porsche sales person advised me against it, it is not needed with the GTS and he was absolutely right. When you put it in Sport+ it is super sharp, precise with minimal body roll, (anything less would feel artificial). Those systems might be more important for regular Cayenne-s but nor for the GTS. GTS is lower, stiffer, sportier, additionally the Coupe is also a bit wider than the regular Cayenne, although not a significant difference I guess. (mine is also a Coupe).
I don't have a strong opinion on PDCC, never drove one with it, but don't forget that RAS+PDCC would add more than 100kg to the car, not insignificant.

I see some people mentioned Cayenne Hybrid in respect to driving. You should never put Hybrid and GTS in the same thread, they are completely, completely different animals. Had a chance to drive Cayenne Hybrid for a week, soulless, uninspiring car, never had any desire to drive it, had a huge smile when I got my GTS back. Recently I also had a chance to drive the new Panamera Hybrid S, faster than Cayenne GTS for sure, more fun to drive, definitely not. Sporty and fun to drive is not about speed, it's more about the sound, precision, responsiveness, Cayenne GTS is great in all of those aspects. I really don't care if I can go thought a curve with 80km/h or 100km/h.

I had exactly the same dilemma, Cayenne GTS Coupe or Panamera GTS, after trying them both went with Cayenne mostly for practical reasons (baby, more suitable for very tall people etc.), extremely happy with it, but I have no doubts I would also be more than happy with Panamera GTS. It's not an easy choice.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:25 PM
Siqsa
Track Day

Originally Posted by Laki021
No I don't have them and I guaranty you that you don't need them to have fun. I Intentionally skipped both options. Had a chance to push the car very, very hard, drive it 260km/h, push it hard on curvy roads, even do some power slides on closed roads, it's just incredible what this car can do. I would dare to say I pushed Cayenne harder than 99% or Cayenne owners ever did so when I say this car is fun to drive, I know what I'm talking about. I know it's not 911, but so what?
Would definitely advise you against RAS if you enjoy driving and like the natural feedback and feeling. Had it once on my car, never again. PDDC, the Porsche sales person advised me against it, it is not needed with the GTS and he was absolutely right. When you put it in Sport+ it is super sharp, precise with minimal body roll, (anything less would feel artificial). Those systems might be more important for regular Cayenne-s but nor for the GTS. GTS is lower, stiffer, sportier, additionally the Coupe is also a bit wider than the regular Cayenne, although not a significant difference I guess. (mine is also a Coupe).
I don't have a strong opinion on PDCC, never drove one with it, but don't forget that RAS+PDCC would add more than 100kg to the car, not insignificant.

I see some people mentioned Cayenne Hybrid in respect to driving. You should never put Hybrid and GTS in the same thread, they are completely, completely different animals. Had a chance to drive Cayenne Hybrid for a week, soulless, uninspiring car, never had any desire to drive it, had a huge smile when I got my GTS back. Recently I also had a chance to drive the new Panamera Hybrid S, faster than Cayenne GTS for sure, more fun to drive, definitely not. Sporty and fun to drive is not about speed, it's more about the sound, precision, responsiveness, Cayenne GTS is great in all of those aspects. I really don't care if I can go thought a curve with 80km/h or 100km/h.

I had exactly the same dilemma, Cayenne GTS Coupe or Panamera GTS, after trying them both went with Cayenne mostly for practical reasons (baby, more suitable for very tall people etc.), extremely happy with it, but I have no doubts I would also be more than happy with Panamera GTS. It's not an easy choice.
Thanks for this post! Managed to take a bit of time to quickly go find a Panamera and Cayenne GTS Coupe to sit in and talk to Porsche about it.

They echoed your points about the PDCC.. and we have an F1 grade circuit near where I live and he specifically said it's great if you want to go do that but for regular road driving, even for spirited driving, you hardly tap into it's possibility and it's not worth the extra cost/weight. Tbh, if I'm going to the circuit, I'm not taking a Cayenne anyway.

Rear axle: Basically said it IS useful but really not necessary. A lot of people have said it's great for parking/u-turns etc but given I'm on a bit of a time limit if I can find a car with it, cool.. if not? I'm okay with that too, I think. I also like the natural feel of driving, as you mentioned. They had a new Cayenne GTS sitting there without either option but it's available so I'm debating stretching a bit and pulling the trigger! It's in Silver metallic which I probably wouldn't order myself but with black trim and rims is just quintessentially classic. They said it would be 14k to get the Gold Turbo GT wheels when I asked which would be a bit much for me lmao

Panamera: Honestly? Felt just a BIT smaller than my E53 and I literally got out mine and hopped into that. Trunk may have 515 litres in the Sport Turismo but it's definitely a bit misleading when you see it in person. I also felt a lot more comfortable in the Cayenne as a big person and my wife obviously prefers that for her and the baby in the back. I would still be more than happy with this as well but..

The depreciation of the Panamera does concern me in the long run but also that I'm trying to fuse a sports car with a family car and in the end, while that might work for a bit, the Cayenne makes a hell of a lot more sense for the family plus still be epic to drive and down the line I can actually get a 718 (911 if good things happen) for a proper fun time. The Panamera side of the forum basically said if you want it to do wagon things, it's not the greatest and I'm better off with the E63 but I just can't stand to look at back of that thing, man. I know I'm in the minority given how much people love it but the Cayenne Coupe is just a sexy car... and that isn't

Basically have the option of some low mileage Cayenne GTS with no PDCC/Rear Axle at the same price as those with a bit more mileage that DO. All that vs stretching for a new and that'll be that when I can finally make that final trigger pull after comparing quality/other features and so on. Obviously if a Panamera GTS with an amazing deal pops up I'll still consider it but I won't be looking directly.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:55 PM
Laki021
Instructor

Rear axle: Basically said it IS useful but really not necessary. A lot of people have said it's great for parking/u-turns etc but given I'm on a bit of a time limit if I can find a car with it, cool.. if not?
Those people should try a car without RAS, they would then realise it not RAS, the car itself is surprisingly agile and easy to park with reasonable turning radius. RAS makes less than 5% of difference to turning radius if I remember correctly. Not sure you can even notice that, and for sure not a real differentiator when turning and parking. Try a car with and without it and than decide.

Quick Reply: AMG to Porsche switch: Cayenne Coupe vs Panamera GTS questions