Sponsored By:

AMG to Porsche switch: Cayenne Coupe vs Panamera GTS questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 03:15 PM
Siqsa
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Laki021
Those people should try a car without RAS, they would then realise it not RAS, the car itself is surprisingly agile and easy to park with reasonable turning radius. RAS makes less than 5% of difference to turning radius if I remember correctly. Not sure you can even notice that, and for sure not a real differentiator when turning and parking. Try a car with and without it and than decide.
My E53 obviously doesn't have it and that turning circle is quite large in a tight space. So much so I had to turn around at the Porsche dealer in a tight spot and I was just laughing thinking 'yeah if I had it here it would be great but really it's not gonna change my life because the alternative is any other car of that size would be worse off by default'

Also checked afterwards for the turning circle and it is literally identical to the Cayenne Coupe at 12.1 metres (11.5 with RAS)... only diff is the ratio being 13.3:1 (with RAS 12.2:1) vs 14.5:1 on the E53.

I understand all the high speed stuff for it too but I've never been 100% sold... unfortunately testing with and without isn't possible at the moment but I can't miss what I've never tried either. If I can get some time and a test drive relatively nearby I'll obviously go for a run but unsure I'll be able to before I have to make a final decision. Have reached out to all the Porsche Centers with my interest so we'll see what comes back available!
Old 06-06-2023, 07:40 PM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 205 Posts

I doubt you'd feel you'd have made a bad decision with either, but if it were me, I'd go with the Panamera ST...I've always loved wagons and it has a lower center of gravity so it would be that much more fun to drive when driving in a more spirited fashion.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:54 PM
Siqsa
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TikiLou
I doubt you'd feel you'd have made a bad decision with either, but if it were me, I'd go with the Panamera ST...I've always loved wagons and it has a lower center of gravity so it would be that much more fun to drive when driving in a more spirited fashion.
Oh, I don't doubt it! That's the only reason I have had such a difficult time making the decision - from the spirited driving PoV and being lower to the ground which is preferred for me.

But I'm just not a fan of wagons in general (E63/M3C just don't tickle me) and the Taycan/Panameras are the only two that I actually like and the only reason I think it won't work out is a baby + 42kg dog + luggage + 1,000km drive might just be a bit more comfortable in a larger car after measuring the boot yesterday at the dealer.

A good deal will still be considered though so let's see how the next 2 weeks go until I have to finalize

Regardless, a Cayenne GTS and then joining you with a Python Green Cayman GTS in the long term means I'm happy to compromise a bit now rather than try do everything at once with one car - even if the Panamera would be the one to do it.

Quick Reply: AMG to Porsche switch: Cayenne Coupe vs Panamera GTS questions