Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear tailgate keeps opening when I walk behind the rear of the car??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 08:52 PM
23109vc
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Rear tailgate keeps opening when I walk behind the rear of the car??

I picked up a new to me certified preowned 2021 Cayenne GTS.

I have noticed that when I walk behind the rear of the car, it sometimes opens the rear hatch, even though I’m not touching the key, or the car.

The car is backed into my garage and I keep the keys hanging on a hook right inside the garage door so the key fob is probably within 6-8’ of the back of the car.

I am not swinging my foot underneath the tailgate to kick to open, but I am walking extremely close to the back of the car.

Is there some kind of proximity setting where the car will open the tailgate if you walk to the rear of the car? I have not dug through the manual to read up on this , but it has done it numerous times.

Thx!
Old 05-14-2023, 10:47 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Happened to me today. I gh8nk 8 just got too close to the tailgate.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 08:31 AM
matthewr87
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I guess you have the opposite problem to me. The tailgate only opens like 50% of the time when I do the leg kick thing.
Old 05-15-2023, 11:25 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 23109vc
I picked up a new to me certified preowned 2021 Cayenne GTS.

I have noticed that when I walk behind the rear of the car, it sometimes opens the rear hatch, even though I’m not touching the key, or the car.

The car is backed into my garage and I keep the keys hanging on a hook right inside the garage door so the key fob is probably within 6-8’ of the back of the car.

I am not swinging my foot underneath the tailgate to kick to open, but I am walking extremely close to the back of the car.

Is there some kind of proximity setting where the car will open the tailgate if you walk to the rear of the car? I have not dug through the manual to read up on this , but it has done it numerous times.

Thx!
There are no user-accessible adjustments or proximity settings. My cargo door also sometimes pops open when I just walk near the side rear or behind the car (2022 base model). I solved the problem by disabling the cargo door kick sensor setting in the PCM. There's another thread on the forum about other complaints and the tech used for the kick sensor, if you want to learn more about how it works.

Quick Reply: Rear tailgate keeps opening when I walk behind the rear of the car??