Sponsored By:

2023 GTS Tuning Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 12:54 PM
imahobo
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2023 GTS Tuning Options

Has anyone had any luck tuning a 2023 GTS yet? The APR site shows their tune works with 2021-2023 models. I contacted APR to confirm, and they told me they weren’t sure, and would need a vehicle to test compatibility. That’s not convenient, as I’m nowhere near Alabama. Cobb shows only 2021-2022 compatibility. Manhart has some tuning options, but they based in Germany and have a limited local dealer network.

On a side note, I got excited when TechArt told me they had a 700 HP tune for the TGT, but rejected my order because they said they couldn’t ship it to the USA.

Old 05-10-2023, 02:37 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 174 Posts

I could be wrong but APR just needs your VIN to verify compatibility. Worst case is you need to stop of one of the local tuning shops that does APR tuning for verification and you don't have to send the car down to Alabama for it.
Old 05-10-2023, 03:34 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by imahobo
On a side note, I got excited when TechArt told me they had a 700 HP tune for the TGT, but rejected my order because they said they couldn’t ship it to the USA.
Puzzled by this. Techart have a huge North American operation.

https://www.techart.de/en/service-di...h/techart-usa/
The following users liked this post:
NelsonLee (04-22-2024)
Old 05-10-2023, 03:52 PM
imahobo
Intermediate

I will contact APR again with your VIN suggestion. Here was their initial reply:

I will It all depends on the vehicle's software box code, I would not know for sure without having your APR dealer hook up to your vehicle. I apologize for the inconvenience

Kal
Old 05-10-2023, 03:57 PM
imahobo
Intermediate

I agree, I’m not sure why TechArt would sell in foreign markets, but not in the USA. It’s not as though I was asking them to ship it to California.

RE: Porsche Cayenne Turbo GT Power kit 96065681

Thank you for contacting TECHART in this matter.

We regret, but the power kit is not available for cars Noth America, sorry.

Best regards,

Joerg Christiansen

Regional Sales Manager
North America

TECHART Automobildesign GmbH

Roentgenstrasse 47

71229 Leonberg, Germany

Tel. +49 (0)7152 9339-702

E-Mail: j.christiansen@techart.de

Old 05-10-2023, 05:07 PM
matthewr87
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Probably an emissions thing.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:15 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 98 Posts

OP, your original post was about GTS tuning. This might be do-able rather than TGT?
Old 05-10-2023, 06:47 PM
imahobo
Intermediate

The TGT looks like it might be difficult to tune. I’m sure the low production numbers make it hard to support the necessary R&D. Manhart might be the only option, though they seem to specialize in larger conversion projects with upgraded turbos and such.

I spoke to APR again for clarification, and was told the VIN wasn’t enough. They need a car at one of their installation shops in order to access the OBD port and read the software.
Old 05-16-2023, 01:24 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,510 Posts

You sure you want to give up your powertrain warranty on a 2023 for a "Tune"? You have a lot to risk if the engine or transmission goes....
Old 05-16-2023, 10:00 PM
GTSfix
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Go ahead, tune your expensive high horsepower engine.

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/05/15/...0-repair-bill/
Old 05-16-2023, 10:14 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,510 Posts

There is no free lunch. If you buy a GTS and its not enough power for you, then why didn't you just buy a Turbo? Oh, the price! Right? Get a GTS and save $ 40K, then pay a tuner $ 5K to ramp it up to 600 hp. Yup, not going to work out well.

Ask these Tuners if they will provide you with a written warranty to cover what you will lose from Porsche. I think you will find they do not. And do your homework guys, did you know the GTS Cayenne does not have the same transmission as the Turbo? It's a special lightweight trans designed for the 450 HP transmission. Will it hold up? Maybe, maybe not. Are you willing to risk it? Are you able to write a check for a new one ($ 20K plus) as it won't be warrantied?

John McLane on the 992 Forum tuned his car. It was a very, very expensive move for him. Start reading at Post # 22.

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1269...nt-cost-2.html

Have fun, be smart. Realize what can happen.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:01 AM
cjspeed
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
There is no free lunch. If you buy a GTS and its not enough power for you, then why didn't you just buy a Turbo? Oh, the price! Right? Get a GTS and save $ 40K, then pay a tuner $ 5K to ramp it up to 600 hp. Yup, not going to work out well.

Ask these Tuners if they will provide you with a written warranty to cover what you will lose from Porsche. I think you will find they do not. And do your homework guys, did you know the GTS Cayenne does not have the same transmission as the Turbo? It's a special lightweight trans designed for the 450 HP transmission. Will it hold up? Maybe, maybe not. Are you willing to risk it? Are you able to write a check for a new one ($ 20K plus) as it won't be warrantied?

John McLane on the 992 Forum tuned his car. It was a very, very expensive move for him. Start reading at Post # 22.

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1269...nt-cost-2.html

Have fun, be smart. Realize what can happen.
I think this has already been flushed out as it appears there are reports of these aftermarket companies issuing warranties. To further add to this, my dealers service department (where I bought my GTS) proclaims to actively do tuning on customers vehicles.

And after sifting through John's posts, while it does seem he had an unfortunate event with his 992, the specifics around exactly what happened seem misty / non-existent, but he does bring up a really good point which I feel ties:

Originally Posted by John Mclane
So, if (emphasis in IF) Porsche has a system, they seem to ignore it at their own volition, dealer and/or PCNA. If the car was black flagged with PCNA they chose to ignore it or have no system to verify it before certification. It shows how much CPO is worthless.
Which basically leads me to believe that a lot of this can be situational/circumstantial as it relates to your relationship with the dealer, purchase history, how vehicle in question was originally acquired (are you bringing a vehicle in with a blown engine from an auction or did you buy the vehicle on allocation from the dealer you had it towed to?)

motto should be tune strategically and with caution

Quick Reply: 2023 GTS Tuning Options