Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera S Engine Replacement Cost

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 06:19 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 311 Posts

Lots of threads here on the topic of adding tunes and lots people I know that have put aggressive tunes on 3.0 L twin Turbo engines, to the tune of adding 100+ HP. And I've hear read or heard of a single failure caused by those tunes. And I know of a number of Porsche dealers who now offer ECU tunes on 911s.

That said, I never put one of those aggressive ECU flash tunes on my 2017 C2S with X51 PowerKit.

And believe it or not, I won a Cobb Accessport and tune door prize at the Amelia Island PCA event a few years ago. But I did not want to void my factory warranty, so I sold it on Rennlist for $1300.

Recently the dealer who sold me my 2017 911 told me they are an authorized dealer for APR tunes, and they offered it to me for $2800. But, not me. My 911 still had plenty of new car warranty.

I guess you could call me conservative or cautious.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:56 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Recently the dealer who sold me my 2017 911 told me they are an authorized dealer for APR tunes, and they offered it to me for $2800. But, not me. My 911 still had plenty of new car warranty.

I guess you could call me conservative or cautious.
Would they warranty a claim after they installed it?
Old 09-22-2021, 07:05 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
At that point, it'll probably be cheaper just to trade it in for a Turbo.
^ I don't know about that, at least for 992 Turbo S's. I was looking online that with ADM everything available is pretty crazy in price right now

(not that I advocate engine mods either....)
Old 09-22-2021, 07:44 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

I have to toss my hat in the ring with @rk-d , here -- being prudent and going into a non OEM engine mod with eyes wide open makes sense, but there's basically zero chance you're blowing the motor.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:40 AM
RichJ_cars
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Reviving an old thread to see if anyone has updated information or experience replacing a 992 engine out of warranty, particularly using an independent shop? I'm also interested in the relative cost of replacing a 992 engine vs. a 991.2 engine, if they are not the same (maybe they are except for the software and turbos?).

Old 02-07-2023, 07:49 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

hopefully John Mclane will chime in. His motor blew from a tune and he got a replacement quote.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 09:15 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

Independent shop quoted me about 4500 between small parts and service. That would be purchasing an used engine from a dismantler, sans the turbos.
There are so many small parts that cannot be replaced (fuel lines for instance) that I think that value is very optimistic.
The dealer took near 6 months to get it fixed, including several weeks waiting for a specific tool to separate the engine from the transmission.
They can't figure it out simple things like door handles or a transmission that drops into neutral as you're driving. They left a bolt missing on a wheel after replacing fuel lines with 300 miles. You literally can't trust them to change a tire appropriately. The math doesn't close for me.

Options regarding the engine itself:
From the dealer, long block 86k - maintains the warranty (another year). Short block - 45k. Both are a block swap, the factory gets the damages block back. I believe the dealer did the latter, put the car for sale without powertrain warranty.

Outside, redo the engine, should be around 15-20k, could take weeks or months. Dismantler engine from 15-20k, even the dealer would install it. I didn't bother to quote, if I would go that way it would be with an indy. I even thought of asking DeMann for a 4.5L- that would have been interesting, but for a DD that I need to rely on, not so sure.

In the end, if it was a simpler car (up to 997) I would have gone with a dismantler engine or fix it. It was my DD, so my options were limited. From the 991 on, there's too much electronics to trust the car again, specially the 992, to rely on it as a DD out of warranty. The dealer can barely understand the car.

Last edited by John Mclane; 02-07-2023 at 10:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by John Mclane:
AlterZgo (02-07-2023), Fullyield (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 10:51 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Independent shop quoted me about 4500 between small parts and service. That would be purchasing an used engine from a dismantler, sans the turbos.
There are so many small parts that cannot be replaced (fuel lines for instance) that I think that value is very optimistic.
The dealer took near 6 months to get it fixed, including several weeks waiting for a specific tool to separate the engine from the transmission.
They can't figure it out simple things like door handles or a transmission that drops into neutral as you're driving. They left a bolt missing on a wheel after replacing fuel lines with 300 miles. You literally can't trust them to change a tire appropriately. The math doesn't close for me.

Options regarding the engine itself:
From the dealer, long block 86k - maintains the warranty (another year). Short block - 45k. Both are a block swap, the factory gets the damages block back. I believe the dealer did the latter, put the car for sale without powertrain warranty.

Outside, redo the engine, should be around 15-20k, could take weeks or months. Dismantler engine from 15-20k, even the dealer would install it. I didn't bother to quote, if I would go that way it would be with an indy. I even thought of asking DeMann for a 4.5L- that would have been interesting, but for a DD that I need to rely on, not so sure.

In the end, if it was a simpler car (up to 997) I would have gone with a dismantler engine or fix it. It was my DD, so my options were limited. From the 991 on, there's too much electronics to trust the car again, specially the 992, to rely on it as a DD out of warranty. The dealer can barely understand the car.
Maybe it is somewhere else in another thread I never saw, but curious what tune/what about the tune caused your engine failure.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:05 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

Do you need a whole new engine or could the blown engine be overhauled?

Getting a new engine in my new Defender under warranty, it has been sitting in the shop for three weeks waiting on parts as an example.

Last edited by John Mclane; 02-07-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:48 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blackland
Do you need a whole new engine or could the blown engine be overhauled?

Getting a new engine in my new Defender under warranty, it has been sitting in the shop for three weeks waiting on parts as an example.

To keep the warranty, they required a long block as they would not warrant anything that plugs in the block (eg turbos).
Old 02-07-2023, 12:50 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Maybe it is somewhere else in another thread I never saw, but curious what tune/what about the tune caused your engine failure.
I don't want to deviate from the thread. Burned spark plugs, melted on the piston and score the cylinder. Zero telling before it happened.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera S Engine Replacement Cost