Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne, Battery Low yellow warning came up !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 12:03 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Umbriago
I know a couple of people with 2019 Cayennes and they also have had the battery issue. I know that the on-board circuit on the battery can fail and then the battery must be replaced. The circuit shuts down the battery from what I have read. Your sister may just be one of the lucky ones. These batteries were supposed to have a 7-10 year life according to those who make these Lithium batteries.
I am still puzzled on why Porsche dealers wait until you get the battery error message to install the BMS overcharging programming fix, which aggravates the built-in defective battery controller sensor/circuitry.

By the time that message comes up, the battery is already showing a charging/controller problem, so that battery is already compromised.

My observation from forums and friends is that after the message pops up, they had to soon replace the battery, even after the dealer installs the BMS/battery controller siftware updates.

The following users liked this post:
George718 (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 11:19 AM
LiKuid
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of interesting info.
Like many above, i just got the Low Battery warning for the 2nd time. 6 months ago it came up for the first time and was cleared after the software update.
I understand that now is the time to replace it and have zero hopes that is is gonna be covered under warranty anywhere in Europe. Does anybody have the part number of the new battery?
I am quoted 4k EUR, but the part number i see costs 1,7k.
Thanks
Old 05-17-2024, 03:12 PM
Kendo67
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LiKuid
have zero hopes that is is gonna be covered under warranty anywhere in Europe.
Make you wonder how that is in any way legal from a manufacturers point of view , i believe that in some states in the US they are covered under the "smog / emissions" so why not in all states or countries for that matter.

Why should it matter if it is New York or the old York in the UK ??

K
Old 05-21-2024, 04:09 AM
don_musico
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LiKuid
Lots of interesting info.
Like many above, i just got the Low Battery warning for the 2nd time. 6 months ago it came up for the first time and was cleared after the software update.
I understand that now is the time to replace it and have zero hopes that is is gonna be covered under warranty anywhere in Europe. Does anybody have the part number of the new battery?
I am quoted 4k EUR, but the part number i see costs 1,7k.
Thanks
Part Numbert : 9Y0915107RY
The part number comes from an invoice from a Porsche EU dealer from 2023 when I had to buy a new battery to replace it

Last edited by don_musico; 05-21-2024 at 04:14 AM. Reason: explaining paert number
Old 05-21-2024, 04:41 AM
LiKuid
AutoX

Originally Posted by don_musico
Part Numbert : 9Y0915107RY
The part number comes
from an invoice from a Porsche EU dealer from 2023 when I had to buy a new battery to replace it
Thanks!
Old 06-07-2024, 09:56 PM
zachlieb430
1st Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I wanted to thank you for making this post. You saved me thousands of dollas. I took my 2019 Cayenne to Porsche Park Place in Dallas today and was able to get my exact same issue resolved under warranty. The difference in how dealerships are handling this is night and day, even within the DFW metroplex.

I live in Frisco, so I bought my Cayenne at Porsche Plano, and have done all my service there. I did research on this issue and took it in and was really frustrated with how they handled it. I was told because it was a sensor, they cant cover it under warranty, and it would be $2200 and I'd be added to a battery list that could take months. After seeing this post I gave Porsche Park Place a call (I used to take my Mercedes into there Mercedes dealership when I lived in Dallas proper, and was a happy customer) and was blown away with how much better they handled it. They had 9 batteries in stock and told me mine was a good fit to cover under warranty since it was under 50,000 miles. I went in today and had the battery changed under warranty, no questions asked. They totally stepped up to the plate.

The weirdest part of this is I ended up leaving Porsche Plano a negative review on google reviews based off how they handled me for this and got a call from them, where they assured me it was impossible for this to be covered under warranty. My recommendation for those going through this is try other dealerships in the area, and if you are in DFW I would certainly give your business to Park Place.
The following 4 users liked this post by zachlieb430:
DOSGT (06-29-2024), George718 (06-08-2024), JSchilberg (07-01-2024), PorscheACC (06-07-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 10:26 PM
Mooney44ZT
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Successful battery experience

My 2020 Cayenne (10,750 miles) showed me the yellow warning light about one month ago. My local mechanic in Bozeman, MT ran a scan confirming a bad battery and I studied this thread.

Called the original dealer ... no battery in stock ... no interest in helping.

Called the Spokane, WA dealer and after one week no call return.

Then called Salt Lake City Porsche and was told 11 (eleven) batteries in stock and the service advisor was interested, knowledgeable and urged me to drive down and so I did. Arrived at 8 AM and left two hours later with a new battery installed using the correct software, a full diagnostic scan and the best hand wash I've had. Oh, they got Porsche to cover the job under the emissions warranty. Drove 400 trouble-free miles home.

An amazing collection of cars in their showroom!

Speak to Jason in service - great guy!
The following 3 users liked this post by Mooney44ZT:
i386_64 (06-29-2024), johnnydee (06-30-2024), PorscheACC (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 12:18 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mooney44ZT
My 2020 Cayenne (10,750 miles) showed me the yellow warning light about one month ago. My local mechanic in Bozeman, MT ran a scan confirming a bad battery and I studied this thread.

Called the original dealer ... no battery in stock ... no interest in helping.

Called the Spokane, WA dealer and after one week no call return.

Then called Salt Lake City Porsche and was told 11 (eleven) batteries in stock and the service advisor was interested, knowledgeable and urged me to drive down and so I did. Arrived at 8 AM and left two hours later with a new battery installed using the correct software, a full diagnostic scan and the best hand wash I've had. Oh, they got Porsche to cover the job under the emissions warranty. Drove 400 trouble-free miles home.

An amazing collection of cars in their showroom!

Speak to Jason in service - great guy!
Congratulations on finding a decent Porsche dealer that help you solve Porsche's defective battery and defective charging programming..
Old 06-29-2024, 06:21 AM
Kendo67
Advanced

My yellow battery warning came up a few weeks ago , strangely enough a few days after it had been sat in the dealers for a month unused / uncharged as it was waiting on a pair of rear springs to be supplied and fitted.

Anti- Gravity monitor showing 95% + reading , CTEK charger showing battery is full after being plugged in for > one hour so actual battery seems fine , but software saying different . Called Porsche UK and the software update was done 02/23 before i purchased the vehicle so looks like the next step is battery replacement @ £1342.

It is due in on the 11/07 for them to have a look so we will see if the AU warranty covers it but i doubt so i will be having the conversation with the dealer as to why they left a vehicle with know battery issues sit , unmoved, for a month , and will be looking for some sort of contribution from them should the battery need replaced.

K

Last edited by Kendo67; 06-29-2024 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-29-2024, 10:54 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kendo67
My yellow battery warning came up a few weeks ago , strangely enough a few days after it had been sat in the dealers for a month unused / uncharged as it was waiting on a pair of rear springs to be supplied and fitted.

Anti- Gravity monitor showing 95% + reading , CTEK charger showing battery is full after being plugged in for > one hour so actual battery seems fine , but software saying different . Called Porsche UK and the software update was done 02/23 before i purchased the vehicle so looks like the next step is battery replacement @ £1342.

It is due in on the 11/07 for them to have a look so we will see if the AU warranty covers it but i doubt so i will be having the conversation with the dealer as to why they left a vehicle with know battery issues sit , unmoved, for a month , and will be looking for some sort of contribution from them should the battery need replaced.

K
Interesting that by Porsche own warranty words, used against its own customers, Porsche was the one damaging and voiding your battery warranty by storing your vehicle and not driving it or putting it under a battery charge maintenainer.

Old 06-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Kendo67
Advanced

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
Interesting that by Porsche own warranty words, used against its own customers, Porsche was the one damaging and voiding your battery warranty by storing your vehicle and not driving it or putting it under a battery charge maintainer.
Mine hasn`t done 6k miles in the last 12m but it is always left connected to the CTEK if i am not using it for any more than a week as i am well aware of the consequences of not doing so , i have also fitted the quick connection for the charger under the bonnet.

The service guy ,mistakenly , told me that the only time the car is put on the charger is when it is on the ramps whereas mine was left in their carpark.

K
Old 06-30-2024, 12:14 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2019 base Cayenne with LiFePO4 (60K miles). During the last 5 years it has performed flawlessly. Last few months we weren't driving the car much and after we took a 4 week vacation, the battery was dead. It had no voltage and no charge was possible.

After some research, it seems since we weren't driving the car, the battery did not have enough time to be appropriately charged. After the month of standing by, the voltage dipped below 9-10v, and the battery BMS cut off the electronically controlled fuse.

A new OEM battery is about 2K. Aftermarket costs anywhere from $200 to $1000.

After doing some research, I found a gentleman in New York that re-flashes the battery board CPU for it to reconnect the fuse. I ended up taking the battery out, removing the board and sending it for a re-flash for $150. Was able to recharge the battery back to normal using a Li-Ion smart charger at a very low amperage, 2A rate. Reconnected everything back together and the car is back to normal. All warning lights and messages have disappeared. I let the car parked for a few days, and it has been holding the charge fine.

I plan to plug in my Cayenne to trickle charge every so often to make sure this never happens again. Given this is a LiFePO4 battery made by LG, I would expect at least 10 years of life. Hence, decided not to replace it.

Interestingly, I have heard horror stories with the new Cayenne batteries, but I guess I have been lucky. My car was an early example, was custom ordered and delivered May 2019.

Last edited by gago1101; 06-30-2024 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-30-2024, 07:27 AM
rjk25
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad you found Premier in NY... I also had my battery reflashed since no dealer in Fl would consider doing the battery under warranty... Its been like 6 months since the reflash and all is well. If others have same issue consider doing the reflash before spending upwards of 2 K for a battery.. Unless your one of the lucky ones that find a dealer willing to do under the emission warranty.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne, Battery Low yellow warning came up !!