Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne, Battery Low yellow warning came up !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 11:41 AM
ReycerX
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
There are places in the web, which for $500.00, they will program and install a new battery controller/sensor to replace Porsche’s defective battery controllers/sensors.

https://xemodex.com/us/product/lithi...rsche-cayenne/

Changing the battery is straight forward on the 9Ya's, as is registration of the battery by any decent shop or if you have a scanner device supporting 9Y0..

https://youtu.be/WAaASomRiNc?feature=shared
Thanks PorscheACC for the info! I'll try this route and reply back to the thread!
Old 10-30-2023, 01:36 PM
911cat
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My 2019 was programmed last year, and it fixed the problem until today. I have the Battery Low message right now. But my warranty is over now. Will Porsche fix this still? Or does this mean the sensor is bad and will require a new battery or exchange?
Old 10-30-2023, 02:02 PM
rjk25
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 911cat
My 2019 was programmed last year, and it fixed the problem until today. I have the Battery Low message right now. But my warranty is over now. Will Porsche fix this still? Or does this mean the sensor is bad and will require a new battery or exchange?
Let me know how you make out I"m in the same situation. So far I'm just driving as usual.
Old 11-01-2023, 06:18 PM
Umbriago
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2019 Cayenne Lithium Phosphate battery problem

I also have a 2019 base Cayenne with 13K miles. The dealer just put a new battery in it. I did take the time to read all the Lithium Phosphate battery comments on this site. Many were very helpful. Let me summarize what I learned from the site, and also just learned from the Porsche mechanic at the dealership.
A bit of history on my car is that about 1 year ago, the warning came on the display of low battery, service required. I looked at the battery and discovered that it was a Lithium iron phosphate battery and noticed that there is an integral circuit board on top of the battery. Car started fine, no evidence of weak battery and voltage across the terminals was 13+ V. Dealer indicated that I needed to bring the car in to update software / gateway. This "reprogramming" was successful in getting the car back to normal. About one year later, the low battery warning light came back on, and I returned to the dealership for what I thought was another reprogramming fix. Car was still turning over fine, but the low battery warning message and light persisted. The dealership again attempted to "reprogram" the sensor but despite numerous attempts, they could not get the sensor to stop with the low battery warning. They reasoned that the sensor was bad, but the battery itself was "still OK". Remember that the sensor circuit and the battery are one piece. So, if I wanted this fixed, I needed to buy a new battery. The service advisor told me that a new battery would be $2500 installed. But that there were none in stock at the dealership and none at Porsche parts distribution and they were on back order. I reasoned that since the car was starting fine and the battery itself was supposedly OK, that I would disregard the warning light and just keep driving it until the battery died at some time in the future. About a month later, I had lunch with a friend of mine and was explaining the situation. He told me that he had the very same problem with his 2019 Cayenne and that after considerable argument, his dealer replaced his battery despite the car being out of warranty. That caused me to go back to my local dealer and ask to have my battery replaced as well. Service advisor said that I needed to bring the car in again to start another service ticket so that they could petition Porsche to extend the warranty. Took it back, they allegedly did additional testing and called me to pick up the car because the delivery of a new battery was now 4 weeks. Upon returning to the dealership to pick it up, the battery was now dead flat. Key fob would not even unlock the doors. I left the car there thinking that I would be driving the loaner Macan for the next month.
I began looking at forums and other resources only to find out that this seems to be a rather pervasive problem for Porsche. Good news was that they located a battery at another dealership and sent a driver to pick it up. They installed the new battery. I got the car back in a couple of days. Take the time to read the threads on this subject. There is a lot of good information here. But what I determined is that these batteries are now in their 5th year and are starting to fail at a rate greater than what was expected. Question is why. When I bought the 2019 Cayenne new, I specifically asked if the car had a "standard" battery and was told "yes" by their service department. I further asked if the conventional C-Tek charger that I had would be OK for this car. Answer was "yes". This may have been incorrect advice. Seems like in the intervening. years, a bit more has been learned. Turns out that these Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are susceptible to being damaged by "conventional" tenders. The sensor circuit electronics can overheat and sustain damage. Then the battery goes into total shut down mode and cannot be recovered. The dealership can determine this using their PIWIS diagnostic and their smart chargers. I pushed this up the chain at the dealer and was told that the Porsche branded C-Tek charger has a Li setting. You must use this if you have this battery. Now they also say to lock the car while on the tender. This apparently puts a lot of the electrical load to sleep.
So, if anyone is using something other than a Porsche / C-Tek Lithium charger, stop using it. The dealer also said that Porsche expects the car to be driven 8000 miles a year. What a joke. Many Porsche owners have several cars and drive them strictly as pleasure vehicles, thus the many low mileage cars. Good luck with that.
This seems like a class action lawsuit in the making if Porsche does not get out ahead of this.
The following 2 users liked this post by Umbriago:
George718 (11-01-2023), Schnave (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 06:31 PM
George718
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

i fought with service dept, porsche na, and fidelity.......and nothing
i paid for the new battery
Old 11-01-2023, 07:02 PM
911cat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Umbriago
I also have a 2019 base Cayenne with 13K miles. The dealer just put a new battery in it. I did take the time to read all the Lithium Phosphate battery comments on this site. Many were very helpful. Let me summarize what I learned from the site, and also just learned from the Porsche mechanic at the dealership.
A bit of history on my car is that about 1 year ago, the warning came on the display of low battery, service required. I looked at the battery and discovered that it was a Lithium iron phosphate battery and noticed that there is an integral circuit board on top of the battery. Car started fine, no evidence of weak battery and voltage across the terminals was 13+ V. Dealer indicated that I needed to bring the car in to update software / gateway. This "reprogramming" was successful in getting the car back to normal. About one year later, the low battery warning light came back on, and I returned to the dealership for what I thought was another reprogramming fix. Car was still turning over fine, but the low battery warning message and light persisted. The dealership again attempted to "reprogram" the sensor but despite numerous attempts, they could not get the sensor to stop with the low battery warning. They reasoned that the sensor was bad, but the battery itself was "still OK". Remember that the sensor circuit and the battery are one piece. So, if I wanted this fixed, I needed to buy a new battery. The service advisor told me that a new battery would be $2500 installed. But that there were none in stock at the dealership and none at Porsche parts distribution and they were on back order. I reasoned that since the car was starting fine and the battery itself was supposedly OK, that I would disregard the warning light and just keep driving it until the battery died at some time in the future. About a month later, I had lunch with a friend of mine and was explaining the situation. He told me that he had the very same problem with his 2019 Cayenne and that after considerable argument, his dealer replaced his battery despite the car being out of warranty. That caused me to go back to my local dealer and ask to have my battery replaced as well. Service advisor said that I needed to bring the car in again to start another service ticket so that they could petition Porsche to extend the warranty. Took it back, they allegedly did additional testing and called me to pick up the car because the delivery of a new battery was now 4 weeks. Upon returning to the dealership to pick it up, the battery was now dead flat. Key fob would not even unlock the doors. I left the car there thinking that I would be driving the loaner Macan for the next month.
I began looking at forums and other resources only to find out that this seems to be a rather pervasive problem for Porsche. Good news was that they located a battery at another dealership and sent a driver to pick it up. They installed the new battery. I got the car back in a couple of days. Take the time to read the threads on this subject. There is a lot of good information here. But what I determined is that these batteries are now in their 5th year and are starting to fail at a rate greater than what was expected. Question is why. When I bought the 2019 Cayenne new, I specifically asked if the car had a "standard" battery and was told "yes" by their service department. I further asked if the conventional C-Tek charger that I had would be OK for this car. Answer was "yes". This may have been incorrect advice. Seems like in the intervening. years, a bit more has been learned. Turns out that these Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are susceptible to being damaged by "conventional" tenders. The sensor circuit electronics can overheat and sustain damage. Then the battery goes into total shut down mode and cannot be recovered. The dealership can determine this using their PIWIS diagnostic and their smart chargers. I pushed this up the chain at the dealer and was told that the Porsche branded C-Tek charger has a Li setting. You must use this if you have this battery. Now they also say to lock the car while on the tender. This apparently puts a lot of the electrical load to sleep.
So, if anyone is using something other than a Porsche / C-Tek Lithium charger, stop using it. The dealer also said that Porsche expects the car to be driven 8000 miles a year. What a joke. Many Porsche owners have several cars and drive them strictly as pleasure vehicles, thus the many low mileage cars. Good luck with that.
This seems like a class action lawsuit in the making if Porsche does not get out ahead of this.
Did they fix it for free?
Old 11-02-2023, 09:06 AM
Umbriago
7th Gear

They offered to pay 75% which then cost me $625. I own three Porsches and three Lexus. Lexus is much better at getting ahead of issues than Porsche. Lexus sends you a letter which alerts you to the problem. They tell you to keep the letter so if the problem appears, the letter will serve to fix it under warranty. Period. This is on a 2014 model year LS460. Also have a GX 460 where they replaced the battery at a routine service after 3 years because the CCA tested low. No drama.
Old 11-02-2023, 11:00 AM
911cat
Rennlist Member

I think them giving you a discount is very good of them.

My 2019 is a very early S build, I took delivery in Jan 2019, so it was built almost exactly 5 years ago. I wonder if there is a timer that will call for replacement at the 5 year mark? At the end its a wear and tear item, so 5 years is average at best.
Old 11-02-2023, 11:52 AM
Umbriago
7th Gear

Pretty sure that your 991 S has a LiFePhophate battery. All rear wheel steering optioned cars do have them. Just took delivery of a new C2S in August. I did not know that the RWS option made it certain that you got a Lithium battery. Would probably have not chose that option but I think that now all 992's come with the lithium battery.
The engineering perspective on these batteries are that they are capable of many more charge/discharge cycles than a lead-acid battery. Original estimates were 7-10 years. So, I would not assume that at 5 years your battery is now suspect. I think that if you have been keeping it on a C-Tek Li or Porsche Li battery tender you should be OK. Also, if you drive it every week that makes a big difference. I leave my cars on tenders for months at a time, I think that was a factor on my battery failure.
Old 11-02-2023, 01:13 PM
911cat
Rennlist Member

My 2019 is a Cayenne S with has the lithium battery. It would be good to know if the battery can last more than 5 years. I do not think so.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:34 AM
Tranbry
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Here’s an update my battery situation, about a year ago, I too got the “low battery” warning. I took the car into the dealership and updated the firmware and the issue went away. Fast forward to last week, the low battery warning came back. I’m thinking I’m going to have to bite the bullet and replace the battery with my own funds since the car is out of warranty but I came across this on Reddit and wondering if anyone else has tried this.

Old 11-13-2023, 01:12 PM
Umbriago
7th Gear

Tranby
You are onto something here. Looks like there may be a way to recover the sensor circuit and re-charge the battery. Of course, the dealers will not tell you this.
The following users liked this post:
George718 (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 03:42 PM
911cat
Rennlist Member

This is only for a battery that is showing 0V. If your battery is working and shows Battery Low, then you should:

1) Get your software upgraded. Most have done this by a dealer last year.
2) If the software upgraded, then the only other option is to replace the battery.

I just replaced the battery, and the Battery Low message is gone.

I found a used LiFePO4 one, so we will see how long it lasts. I used an Autel to tell the computer the battery was replaced.

I wanted to try converting to AGM. I am convinced it will work even with RAS. I don’t think the car cares as long as you tell it you are using a AGM. The Autel does have the option for both Lithium or AGM. But a battery sensor will need to be added in. BMW guys have successfully replaced the lithiums.
Old 11-13-2023, 04:51 PM
Tranbry
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

@911cat thanks for the reply. I had the software updated in the beginning of the year so I guess my next step is to just get a new battery.
Old 11-13-2023, 05:02 PM
911cat
Rennlist Member

I am pretty certain that is the case. The battery is “low” and will die in the short term. I tried to charge mine and it would not.

You could fight the dealer and maybe win. But for me, I just wanted to quickly get the car without errors.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne, Battery Low yellow warning came up !!